Table pack #38 speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Since the newsletter strongly hints at Pack #37 being Jack*Bot, time for a new speculation thread!

I think this one's going to be Xenon.

#39 will be the mystery Gottlieb that we're due (Stargate? Please! R911? Would please a lot of people. Surf N Safari? Would please me at least.)

#40 will be HS2.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I'll guess xenon. No big surprise when that and high speed 2 happen but they tend not to release consecutive Dmd era games. I predict this continues and the season ends with an older data east pin.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
I'll guess xenon. No big surprise when that and high speed 2 happen but they tend not to release consecutive Dmd era games. I predict this continues and the season ends with an older data east pin.

+1 Xenon.
For the exact same reasons.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013

If there's another data east, my guess would be Checkpoint. But as for my 'real' #38 prediction, I'll go with Xenon aswell

With Checkpoint, I'm just going by most units produced that's not attached to a license. If it is attached to a license, I apologize. It's burned me in the past lol. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind seeing Laser War. 1st data east. Drop targets galore. Has anyone actually played one? I'm interested to know if the gameplay is any good. I really don't feel like youtubing it, but I might...

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Otherwise, I wouldn't mind seeing Laser War. 1st data east. Drop targets galore. Has anyone actually played one? I'm interested to know if the gameplay is any good.

I have. It actually surprised me, because the backglass just looked so cheesy and I'm not a fan of Data East. I don't remember much from it (was 2 years back and only played one game on it), other than had a good time.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
I have. It actually surprised me, because the backglass just looked so cheesy and I'm not a fan of Data East. I don't remember much from it (was 2 years back and only played one game on it), other than had a good time.

Thanks for the info man! For some reason it's been on my mind lately as a good addition to TPA. Same type of theme of like to see is Cosmic Gunfight. You should check out the rules on that. Nothing like TPA has had before. I'm also curious about the plausibility of rare pins making it into TPA. Goin Nuts would be an example of that. And for some reason, people say Cactus Canyon is rare. The problem is, with the rare pins, there's usually a reason there weren't very many produced. But like many people have said before, 'one can dream'. How cool would it be to see a Road Runner? Or anything by Atari? Also I was talking to a friend who used to serve in a base in Africa. And he was telling me that he'd play pinball there. And he's not crazy about pinball, but when he mentioned some of the names, I kinda flipped out. He played a Heavy Metal, and said it was really addicting (coming from a guy that's not into pinball). And he played a medieval style pin. Really rare. It wasn't Joust. He remembers the backglass, and described it as a silver knight on a white stallion with a long pole, and in the corner there were all the Knights of the round table. After some research, I believe he played a 'Torneo', which is extremely rare (there aren't even any pictures of it on the web). So back to my question, even if a certain table only had a few produced, FS could still pull it off right? Even though the majority of rare pins failed for a reason, it could still sell as a digitized pin. Highly unlikely, but why not wonder? Cause it seems like a lot of people are talking about running out of pins to remake. It's just a thought

switch3flip

Jan 30, 2013
I don't think rarity of a table stops it from being reproduced. They said they want to preserve tables for the future. Rarity doesn't necessarily mean bad table. Cactus canyon is rare because it's the last table bally made and they didn't even really finish it. The software isn't really finished. They have mentioned big bang bar as possible recreation, it's a rare table. But I think they would need to buy or at least borrow a physical table so they can shoot high-res photos of it and copy the rom. Wouldn't hurt if they get to play it to see how it plays and behaves, I guess.

Last edited:

Captain B. Zarre

Apr 16, 2013
Switch guesses 39 & 40 and you have my um,guess.

Well usually tables are released in this format:

- DMD
- Alphanumeric or older
- DMD
and so forth...

By your logic I'm assuming TX-Sector could be the mystery Gottlieb... if so I can't wait to finally experience the wonders of the disco pinball dimension ;)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I don't think rarity of a table stops it from being reproduced. But I think they would need to buy or at least borrow a physical table so they can shoot high-res photos of it and copy the rom. Wouldn't hurt if they get to play it to see how it plays and behaves, I guess.

While getting the artwork is certainly a component, FarSight wants to own the machines so they can properly tune the tables and truly map all the rules. They need to be able to manually activate all the switches in all sorts of combos to see what's what. A lot of the times, the rule sheet FS creates is the first or most detailed anyone has put together. And then for tuning, they can just walk a few feet to and from computer and table to make sure things behave the way they are supposed to.

They obviously don't own Goin' Nuts. I'm not sure if they actually have Central Park either. So yes it is possible for them to recreate without the table, but it isn't ideal.

sedated

Oct 26, 2014
Is Xenon coming out this season for sure? Xenon and the mystery Gottlieb might be the only tables I end up buying this season. Jackbot is ok, but I don't feel like I would play it much. High Speed 2 is another good table, but I already have the original High Speed and I don't think I would play that one much either. I prefer the minimalist play style of the first High Speed better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts