Table Pack #51 Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
When I read the newsletter earlier today, at first I thought the hint was pointing to Indiana Jones.
So I thought "Wait, the Williams one or the Stern one? The Williams one is WAY better, I hear."
But I'm more than happy with this one. Always wanted to play Indy 500, especially since it's referenced in so many other games!

Indy 500: "It's a beautiful day for racing!"
No Fear: "It's a beautiful day for skydiving!"
MM: "It's a great day for jousting!"

But, like No Fear, I'm sure they'll have to mute the names of the announcers and racers...oh well, if that at least means we get the table, then I'm for it.

Is your post implying that you've never played either Indiana Jones pinball? You poor, poor man... The Stern one is truly garbage but the Williams game is bliss. Tbh, the only one I've seen and played is at Headquarters in Chicago. They also have the only Lord of the Rings I've played.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Sure thing, they are mentioned many times in the executable:

$ strings.exe -t d tpa/PinballArcade.exe | grep -i pinballmag
3401080 CPBTablePinballMagic
3607720 Dev\DoctorWho\Dev\PinballMagic\Dev\PBTBigBangBar\Dev\StarTrek\
3609224 TPinballMagic_Enums.csv
3611192 Dev/PinballMagic/PBTPinballMagic.csv
3614864 TPinballMagic
4134580 <TABLE_PINBALLMAGIC>
5508644 .?AVCPBTablePinballMagic@@

$ strings.exe -t d tpa/PinballArcade.exe | grep -i bigbangb
3385472 CPBTableBigBangBar
3607720 Dev\DoctorWho\Dev\PinballMagic\Dev\PBTBigBangBar\Dev\StarTrek\
3609200 TBigBangBar_Enums.csv
3611156 Dev/BigBangBar/PBTBigBangBar.csv
3614852 TBigBangBar
4134560 <TABLE_BIGBANGBAR>
5507496 .?AVCPBTableBigBangBar@@

They were last month too, but there are more mentions this month.

(Unfortunately, I don't see any new tables mentioned this month :(.)

Never played a BBB IRL. But used to enjoy Pacdude's VPinmame recreation back in 2007 or so. Great art and sound. Hope they can do the trippy visuals justice

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Never played a BBB IRL. But used to enjoy Pacdude's VPinmame recreation back in 2007 or so. Great art and sound. Hope they can do the trippy visuals justice

Pacdude did a fantastic (as usual) build of BBB. To really experience it right though, gotta play it under a black light! Table just glows and is awesome that way.

HOW

Feb 21, 2012
Pacdude did a fantastic (as usual) build of BBB. To really experience it right though, gotta play it under a black light! Table just glows and is awesome that way.

It's a little suggeative in some of its callouts and stuff I seem to remember. Hope it doesn't get toned down...

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Does anyone know who did the voice for the Bouncer in BBB? Maybe it is just me and my crappy ears, but the voice sounds exactly like Bender from Futurama. That voice is done by John DiMaggio.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Not to many other people have played BBB IRL either. Many people are saying Kingpin was also a great Capcom pinball machine too. It's too bad arcades resumed disappearing after the fighting games craze and the early 90's pinball revival. We might have been able to see more pinball machines, especially from Capcom.

For some reason, the best things I'm hearing about Capcom's machines are from those I've never played. Of those I've played, Pinball Magic was the best one IMO. I was quickly bored with Breakshot and Airborne, and would much rather have EBD and Operation Thunder in TPA for those themes.

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
Is your post implying that you've never played either Indiana Jones pinball? You poor, poor man... The Stern one is truly garbage but the Williams game is bliss. Tbh, the only one I've seen and played is at Headquarters in Chicago. They also have the only Lord of the Rings I've played.

Actually, I've played the Williams one (not recently, though), but not the Stern one, so I couldn't make a comparison. But everyone seems to agree that the Williams machine is far superior, which is what I was getting at.

Still, I'm more than happy with Indy 500, since not only have I never played it, but I never thought they'd get the license! And it's in the top 50 all-time on Pinside! HYPED!

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
It is now out on IOs

It isn't in my updates and when I search the app store it still shows the LAH icon and April 23 as the latest update. U.S. user.

EDIT: Bought and paid. Already got 2.7 mil, clearing the high score inside an hour. Table is pretty ho-hum, and I'm a pretty big fan of Trudeau's later tables. I've never seen it IRL but I'm sure something is lost in translation.

EDIT2: Hey look, on the plus side TPA already lost my scores for the game.

Last edited:

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
Something just occurred to me.

You know how the AC/DC Kickstarter got abruptly cancelled, then they said we're still getting the table thanks to "reworking the agreement" or something like that?

It's like some mysterious benefactor stepped in and made sure they could get more machines released.

I've got a big hunch that this "mysterious benefactor" is Capcom...

I mean, they've been sitting on their pinball assets for about 20 years now, and with Big Bang Bar being a top-10 table of all time, it makes sense they'd want to make more money than they did with those >200 reproduction machines from a few years back. So they let them have the license for a few extra bucks.

I don't know. I'm just thinking out loud. Maybe none of this makes sense--I just want to know what the hell happened with that Kickstarter. (But don't get me wrong, I'm super-glad we're getting AC/DC.)

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
I was quickly bored with Breakshot and Airborne, and would much rather have EBD and Operation Thunder in TPA for those themes.

It really pains me that a varied and interesting game like Operation Thunder gets no recognition, while boring-ass TX-Sector gets a ton of hype and attention. I just don't get it.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
It really pains me that a varied and interesting game like Operation Thunder gets no recognition, while boring-ass TX-Sector gets a ton of hype and attention. I just don't get it.

If you like OT, then make some noise for it. That's how these things happen. Spam their Facebook page like a madman. They probably have never even heard of operation Thunder.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
No Facebook here. 'sides, there are still some other Williams games that need higher priority, like Swords of Fury and Rollergames. Maybe Fire too. Hell, all the System 11 games.

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
No Facebook here. 'sides, there are still some other Williams games that need higher priority, like Swords of Fury and Rollergames. Maybe Fire too. Hell, all the System 11 games.

Agreed. I spent some more time with TX Sector just now and holy cow is it a dull game. Rollergames, SoF and the rest of the System 11 are all far superior to these Gottliebs.

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013

They mentioned in the twitch stream no one was talking about the table then all of a sudden people started posting about it so they made it. So they're listening to suggestions in that sense.

I get the sense a lot of the suggestions are from people who have not played the tables or tried them out in VP. So suggestions are coming from those just looking at the table layout or watching a few videos. Which is understandable given that these tables are hard to find to play and VP can be a pain to get tables running and tweaked right. But it gives way to suggestions like Hercules, which I see often, and some other tables that look like they might be fun to play but are not really that good. Everyone's opinions are going to be different regardless. I've seen a lot of "I loved playing x table back in the day" and those tables have done nothing for me. And I'm sure some of the tables I would love to have in TPA would be questioned (Solar Fire, Skateball, and Laser War, being some of the few). I'd rather have more hands on table play suggestions but there's only been a few real stinkers added to TPA that I rarely/never play.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Hey, Solar Fire is pretty good. However, Grand Lizard is basically a redone version of it, and it's a bit more solid of a game. Plus, it has those cool jungle drums.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014

Agreed. I spent some more time with TX Sector just now and holy cow is it a dull game. Rollergames, SoF and the rest of the System 11 are all far superior to these Gottliebs.

Agreed.
+ Mousin' Around, Banzai Run, Game Show, Jokerz!, Police Force, Radical!
All great tables.

Trackball

Jan 19, 2016
Operation Thunder is one of the few games where I hope to God they don't stick with factory default settings.

If you don't know, once you complete what is basically the game's wizard mode, the game immediately ends. All balls drain and everything.

But this can be changed in the operator's menu, so it will play on, like any other wizard-mode game.

The only other game I can think of that's much better with drastic changes to default settings is Whodunnit--seriously, if you have the Pro version, go and turn on Tournament Play mode. It changes from a game of luck to a game of skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.