Tables that will never get licensed

PinHead4Life

Jun 22, 2012
They gave Stern, which, to my knowledge, is not owned by or affiliated with Disney, the license in the first place. Tron Legacy wasn't very profitable, so it's unlikely they'll release any more movies, which means this property isn't going to see a lot of mileage in the future. They've also licensed their properties to companies that make shovelware games since the days of the NES (such as Mickey Mouscapade), so I don't think the property's integrity is really higher than their love of money.

This may be a little off topic, but since it effects the potential of seeing Tron Legacy brought to TPA I think it's worth mentioning. Tron Legacy was actually a very successful movie. There is even a sequel in the works set to release in 2013 (maybe 2014). So, just before the release of the sequel is a time when stirring up interest in the property through any means is profitable. Means such as releasing Tron Legacy on TPA. ;) I for one have never played the table. Though I have seen it. But perhaps there's hope yet for fans of this pin.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
They've also licensed their properties to companies that make shovelware games since the days of the NES (such as Mickey Mouscapade), so I don't think the property's integrity is really higher than their love of money.

Yeah, Disney has their price. The question is just how high that price is.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Both PlayBoy Magazine tables , Star Wars , Indiana Jones , and the number one table that will never get licensed Tron , because as a Disney IP , the house of the mouse law team would never condone a outside 3rd party to get license for any Disney based intelectual property , even if the money was there to be licensed.

As far as IJ is concerned, isn't Lucas pretty quick to license his stuff?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
As far as IJ is concerned, isn't Lucas pretty quick to license his stuff?

My understanding from reading up on it is up until about a year or so ago he would basically sell it to anyone for almost anything. Now he has reigned it all in. Especially in the realm of video games. Aside from the Lego stuff, all of his properties are moving to be done exclusively by his in-house development studios and he is not giving the license out to all the types of goods that were once used to market it like lunch pails, cross-promotions with fast food chains, etc. He may just be more selective so maybe he is as eager to play ball, he just wants to put it in something that doesn't oversaturate the market and/or makes a tasteful and more positively impactful to the brand.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
. . . he just wants to put it in something that doesn't oversaturate the market and/or makes a tasteful and more positively impactful to the brand.

TPA definitely fits that definition.
Also, I don't think it's possible to ruin the Star Wars brand more than Episode I did, or the Indiana Jones brand more than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull did.

PinHead4Life

Jun 22, 2012
I would be geeked out to see the Williams Indiana Jones table come to TPA! I've never played or even seen any of the SW pins. But would be happy to purchase them if they somehow made it to TPA. As Bowflex mentioned Lucas is very selective now when it comes to licensing media. Heck, he went through more than anyone thought possible to make the prequel films free from Hollywood including financing at least Episode I out of his own pocket (I'm not sure if he paid for the other two movies as well). Lucas likes to have full control over his properties so he can do whatever he wants and answer to no one. I think I even remember reading somewhere that the next SW game, 1313, will be 100% produced and distributed through his companies. But there is hope yet as SW is still being licensed out to BioWare who recently made the Old Republic game. I don't know if there was a new agreement the company struck with Lucasfilm to make this game or if it was a "leftover" from their previous agreement that led to Knights of the Old Republic. But at least a SW game was recently released that was not produced by Lucas' various companies.

Last edited:

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Lucas Arts new IP . manager was interviewed about 3 years ago , promising great things , then after Force Unleashed II failed, they pretty much shut down most development into any game sequels from LucasArts . Battlefront 3 , and Full Throttle for example had 3 game sequels that never saw the light of day . The last biggest thing they did , I recall , was getting old LucasArts games on Steam distribution. I think the only thing holding back licensing and releasing PlayBoy magazine tables , is the money, and half a dozen images of real life "classic" Playboy models appearing on artwork on the table's design , not to mention Hefner himself. My brother owns the first table ,and it may not be the shiniest or have complex traps and rules, but it grows on you , it just gets left in the dust by some of the newer designs I've seen on Youtube ..

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Here's one that will never be licensed: Bally's Space Invaders. The artwork is a blatant ripoff of H. R. Giger's concepts for Alien (especially the critter on the backglass, who is basically a Xenomorph with red eyes), and I think there was actually a lawsuit over it that stopped production of the game.

The arcade at Canobie Lake actually has one of these! Unfortunately, the flippers are so weak that it's basically unplayable.

Stormchild

Jun 24, 2012
Of all the tables I really want, I think the ones most likely to be encumbered with (or made impossible by) high licensing fees are The Simpsons and Star Wars (Data East 1992). Family Guy might be a problem too, but that series doesn't seem quite as badly mired in licensing problems as The Simpsons.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
Of all the tables I really want, I think the ones most likely to be encumbered with (or made impossible by) high licensing fees are The Simpsons and Star Wars (Data East 1992). Family Guy might be a problem too, but that series doesn't seem quite as badly mired in licensing problems as The Simpsons.

Simpsons is waning in popularity. The main cast recently had to take yet another pay cut due to declining ratings. Still, TZ and STTNG both required kickstarters, even though both of those shows have been off the air for a long time (especially TZ).

Brian Clark

Feb 28, 2012
My understanding from reading up on it is up until about a year or so ago he would basically sell it to anyone for almost anything. Now he has reigned it all in. Especially in the realm of video games. Aside from the Lego stuff, all of his properties are moving to be done exclusively by his in-house development studios and he is not giving the license out to all the types of goods that were once used to market it like lunch pails, cross-promotions with fast food chains, etc. He may just be more selective so maybe he is as eager to play ball, he just wants to put it in something that doesn't oversaturate the market and/or makes a tasteful and more positively impactful to the brand.

He still managed to license a Zynga game (Indiana Jones Adventure World) and that Star Wars Brisk Saber promotion, though. If that Brisk Saber thing isn't oversaturating, I don't know what is. That Star Wars Kinect thing is very recent and I heard it's terrible.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.