The Music Video Thread

invitro

May 4, 2012
The Fixx - "Secret Separation" (1986, #19 US)

How did I forget this classic by the mighty Fixx until now? It hit #19 US, #83 UK, and #1 Album Rock Tracks in July 1986.

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
that oran "juice" tune reminded me of eddie murphy's "party all the time" - lol, consider this punishment! ;)

you just have to love/hate on that video silliness - like eddie just showed up at the studio, music's already rolling and rick's in the control booth, then rick gets just sooo into it, he has to bust in and join in! truly a triumph of eighties bs, lol! (in fact it sounds like rick's already in the vocalmix before he runs into the mic room, so it's super-especially fake...)

since eddie and rick give that little "a-ok" fingers at the end, i'm tempted to quote mst3k's "mr. b natural" - "it stinks!"

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
heh okay, while i'm piling on, how about bon jovi - did you know his first gig was on the infamous "star wars holiday album"? not too distantly/yet entirely unrelated cousin of the "star wars holiday TV special" that is so especially infamous itself... this stocking-stuffer atrocity was maybe a few years after that, a festive music album featuring c3po and r2d2 trying to figure out what/why humans love christmas so much, or some such bs... ;0 from my poorly unwinding memory, something like most of the music for it was recorded at a new jersey studio where a dude who happened to be bon jovi's counsin or uncle was working. and so, bj's vocal debut i guess, is on the star wars holiday album...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas_in_the_Stars

i won't punish you by listing a youtubey of it, if there is one... you'll just have to find it yourself. :) it sort of all brings up the "meco" era of disco-ized star wars themes, which is something else you may not want to bother looking into, lol :)

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
speaking of PIL (i love rise; i remember beavis and butthead reviewing that one ;0) one that came a bit too late to make it into a john hughs soundtrack, but it was almost custom-built for that. super-eighties sounding!

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
and then, speaking of lil' johnny lydon, i have to post his commercial - yes, he did a commercial once! (or at least, once that i know of)... and for BUTTER, of all things. he musta had some overdue taxes to pay off...

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
that fixx video is one from way back; only remembered it after watching it - looked like they stole the set for the video from duran duran just after they shot "rough boys" lol! i prefer their darker edged stuff...

late p.s., i effed up and remembered late last night, i think that duran duran song was actually "-wild- boys," not "rough boys" lol...

Last edited:

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
and oh, i could go on a long time about midnight oil - but if you've never given them much of a chance, check this one out - and TURN IT UP LOUUUUUD! there's a reason many aussies still call them "the best band in the world!"

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
can't help but love keith moon-era who; he was a madman - but "i need you" for me means the kinks, big-time - one of the best songs EVER in the history of the universe!

invitro

May 4, 2012
Don Johnson - "Heartbeat" (Sept. 1986, #5)

that oran "juice" tune reminded me of eddie murphy's "party all the time" - lol, consider this punishment! ;)
That song is one of the worst songs of the 1980's. Hey, speaking of TV stars making top ten songs, here's the lovely Don Johnson's turn at hard rock. It hit #5 in fall 1986. I thought it was pretty great at the time. Allmusic says its album "isn't half bad."

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.