The Music Video Thread

invitro

May 4, 2012
Eels - "Last Stop: This Town" (1998)

Here's a great song from one of the most criminally underappreciated classic albums: Eels' Electro-Shock Blues. It has some of the most emotional heft of any album, dealing with loss and madness in in shockingly adult fashion. This song is not the best on the album (Three Speed is?), but it has a real video.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Mercury Rev - "Goddess on a Hiway" (1999, #26 UK)

There's a whole collection of similarly-mooded music from about 1998-2001 that deserves to be better known -- Deserter's Songs, The Soft Bulletin, Emperor Tomato Ketchup, The Sophtware Slump, The Winter Is Coming, Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space. Allmusic calls it Dream Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, and maybe Noise Pop.

I didn't know this album was a smash in the UK that even landed three Top 40 singles. I'm very happy about this!

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
Dedpop, that's from SRTS, correct? The Rain Song & No Quarter off that album are my favorite versions of those tunes, definitely! :)

Edit: This is my favorite version of 2112, from All The World's A Stage. So much more powerful & succinct than the studio cut. YT has a clip of that tour, but the sound quality is not good. The album, I think, was a chance for Rush to rerecord & sharpen up some tunes, though the studio cut of the 2112 tune was more cinematic & storytelling.

Last edited:

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Dedpop, that's from SRTS, correct? The Rain Song & No Quarter off that album are my favorite versions of those tunes, definitely! :)

Absolutely. No Quarter is my favourite song Of Led Zeppelin.
And my favourite band (Tool) covered it. :)

Things have finally come full circle...

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
Great tune, great player! Happy BDay Neil! :)

Code:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/n/neil_young/the_needle_and_the_damage_done_power_tab.htm

Last edited:

MontanaFrank

Dec 19, 2012
My heart goes out to the people of France, Europe and all the world. My heart grieves for all the families and people of the world who have lost loved ones due to terror. I hope is all this crap will end soon, but I can't fathom it.

My heart grieves and the only real solace I've felt today comes from the following video:

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014

Edit: This is my favorite version of 2112, from All The World's A Stage. So much more powerful & succinct than the studio cut. YT has a clip of that tour, but the sound quality is not good. The album, I think, was a chance for Rush to rerecord & sharpen up some tunes, though the studio cut of the 2112 tune was more cinematic & storytelling.

wooow it's been years since i've heard "all the world's a stage" - great one! that 2112 sounds like it was before they decided to pitch it down for later tours... it was during "hemispheres" that geddy was topping out his voice, and they decided to tone things down so he wouldn't destroy his voice! good choice!

i did always love "la villa" best off of "exit stage left" - this isn't a good recording of it, but still just to get it there... it's still the punchiest live performance of it i can remember. i love the casualness of it towards the end, when geddy and neil are just "bum-bum-bum" and a lil' cowbell in reply... they never do that anymore... i wonder why! plus it seems to be the only recorded version i've ever heard "with the lyrics" (other than performances with alex doing his "psychotic ramblings" bit ;0)... it's so cool; it just tempers things down so far still with that tempo-tension built in... it's an awesome performance. sends ya straight back to the top-down, wind-in-your-hair seventies!

Last edited:

WhiteChocolate

Apr 15, 2014
i'd be remiss if i didn't include at least a link to...

the ol'de VHS "exit stage left," one of the first viddies i rented when i was a wee lad! most epic intro for "xanadu" in it (17 mins or so abouts)... most rockin', psychedelic and simultaneously satanic "by-tor and the snow dog!" (about 46:30 in) they also do that super-excellent "1-2-3-1-2-3" right at the end of 2112, doesn't seem like they've done since then live, seems anytime i've seen in recent vids... they should try some of these old tricks next time they go out! they were super-slick...

Last edited:

Members online

Members online