The Official Latest NEWS And INFORMATION Discussion Thread

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
It's been discussed and it is not 100% ruled out but it is extremely unlikely. It really makes no sense and would actually take even longer to get out to market (plus everything would need updated as soon as you loaded the disc into the system)

Yeah, I was just curious. I'd like to keep all the games I purchased originally, instead of having to re-buy them each time a new system comes out. (PS3/PS4, etc)

Thanks.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
Yeah, I was just curious. I'd like to keep all the games I purchased originally, instead of having to re-buy them each time a new system comes out. (PS3/PS4, etc)

Thanks.

Well, considering that PS4 will probably not have backward compatibility, it'd make even less sense to print a disc that can't be used in the next generation system.

gooche77

Jul 30, 2012
Well, considering that PS4 will probably not have backward compatibility, it'd make even less sense to print a disc that can't be used in the next generation system.
Leaving out the backwards compatiblity must be a big reason for the $400 introductory price point. Sony learned well from the PS3 launch.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
I think a disc version would make sense - someday in the future Farsight will not have the rights to sell these tables, and it may be the only way for people who didn't download TPA to play them - also if it brings in extra revenue/publicity for Farsight, why not?

Last edited:

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
But part of the reason Farsight can effectively get away with selling tables so cheap is because the liscence holders get a significant chunk of each sale.

With digital content, each unit counjered up out of the servers and 'produced' is sold. Liscence holders, middlemen etc. get their money out of that sale.

Now, if Farsight was to do a disc version, they'd have to create a finite amount of discs (let's just say 40,000) and they'd have to pay all the content guys up front before a penny has been made on the disc. If it bombs then that's 40,000 discs they won't be able to recoup again, if it succeeds it still involves paying the content guys BUT also includes the cost of the discs too which would nullify any profit that could potentially be made.

Lucipher28

Banned
Jul 16, 2013
I think a disc version would make sense - someday in the future Farsight will not have the rights to sell these tables, and it may be the only way for people who didn't download TPA to play them - also if it brings in extra revenue/publicity for Farsight, why not?

Exactly.

I want my kids to be able to play these games.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Actually, once something is digitized, there is every reason to believe it will last forever. We only need sufficient backups and the hardware to read it. ;)

Sure, but the PS3's won't and the disks won't. I think people get too obsessed with owning stuff, but when it comes down to it we can't ever own anything. You can't take anything with you when your time is up. If in 20, 50, 100 years or more people still want to play virtual pinball then it will be available. Even digitized it won't last forever unless we figure out how to get off this rock before our sun craps out in a few billion years.

Dumpstar

Apr 17, 2012
Sure, but the PS3's won't and the disks won't. I think people get too obsessed with owning stuff, but when it comes down to it we can't ever own anything. You can't take anything with you when your time is up. If in 20, 50, 100 years or more people still want to play virtual pinball then it will be available. Even digitized it won't last forever unless we figure out how to get off this rock before our sun craps out in a few billion years.

True optimist if you think your living a few billion years.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts