The Olive Garden Analogy - my last post

night

May 18, 2012
fly-in-soup.jpg

Advalle

Jul 18, 2012
There seems to exist certain bully tendencies sometimes on the forum, I find it faster to skip a post, than writing a disheartening comment. Theres always room to improve scores anyways, we could always use the time there.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
I find people who think that a certain number of posts makes you a somebody funny...

It isn't a post count race but there are some people that I would miss if they left. I've gotten to know them, in a way, through reading their posts. There isn't a set minimum but it's probably going to take more than 14 posts.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I don't like being negative either it's just with under 14 posts how are you supposed to know the person at all. I can't get over that. It's a farewell speech from a person we don't know. That's be like me walking into a job I've never worked and pulling a Jerry McGuire.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Was my "farewell" post this bad? I literally can't read this. It's too negative, good grammar yet I can't get into it. Also who is a "fan" of Olive Garden? I like their food but you do know it's all prepackaged and mostly microwaved. The line cooks usually have no formal training and make nothing. I know I was offered to be one at red lobster back when I washed dishes for them. My first job. Btw those amazing red lobster crab cakes or whatever you call them, that's given out like breadsticks yea those were made by us dishwashers.

What's funny about it is those cakes are one of the very few things that actually ARE made from scratch. Try our famous free crabby cake things, made fresh from scratch by our world renowned chefs! Wait I mean by snot nosed college kids who can barely prepare a box of macaroni and cheese.

Last edited:

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Was my "farewell" post this bad? I literally can't read this. It's too negative, good grammar yet I can't get into it. Also who is a "fan" of Olive Garden?

Yeah and he had a similar rant last week. When you have so few posts and the last two are back-to-back unproductive rants, well, it's just not that endearing.

I have to say that when I go Stateside to visit relatives I actively avoid The Olive Garden. Glasgow has per-capita the most Italian restaurants of any city in the UK and a sizable number of Italian immigrant families stretching back nearly a century so finding a quality one isn't hard - I have a selection of a half-dozen independent eateries within a 30min. walk. Why would I want some half-assed chain version when I'm on holiday?

Chevys is another matter entirely and is the one American chain I'd like to see cross the pond. So if you're going to make this analogy at least use a decent restaurant. Viva El Machino!

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Wait so your saying Yea my rant was as bad? Jk.

to put out a good rant I think takes talent, or maybe not talent but just alot of passion.

Not to sound full of myself or egotistical or weird but I read my rant over like 5 times. Not to proofread but because I liked it so much. And I do that anytime I read something really awesome. Not saying I'm awesome just saying, a good rant is a work of art. I learned how to rant from ECM in Gamefsn magazine. He doesn't know it but he's my obiwan of the rant. So if my rant was indeed good I owe it to him

I need to say though, -at the time- I liked it. I've since really changed my mind on a few things. That piece actually came from a dark place lots of anger there, I'm scared to go back and read it lol.

Last edited:

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Hence my response to this post and the previous one by this poster to be constructive and have perspective. It's probably just because I'm a bit older and was married for a long time, but one of the things I've learned over the years (and tried to practice) is to choose your battles and if you find you're getting really angry about something to stop and make sure it's justified before expressing it.

A good example is when you have a problem with a utility like your Internet provider (speaking from experience). You may feel justified in terminating a contract and stopping payments, but unless you go through the legally-prescribed motions by the regulator you're likely to find that you end up on the losing end of the stick. If you want results you need to do things the right way and not just swear at some call centre person over the phone and terminate your direct debit arrangement.

We don't really have a contract with Farsight in the same way (though I'd definitely pay a monthly scription to automatically get new tables), but they do have a process for submitting problems with the software, so not using it and getting all riled up isn't going to help you.

And unless someone from the company actually wrote you to tell you to go "eff yourself" no one is trying to do anything bad to you (not "you," but, you know), so I cannot understand getting really irate with people you've never met like they just hit your windscreen with a golf club (I think someone might have used that analogy already, but it's a nice one).

I've now read your rant in full, Mark and it is well-written, but I have to say the icing on the cake was reaching the end and seeing one of your parting thoughts be "don't listen to your fans!" I don't know if it was intentional, but it made me laugh.

I get the feeling the guys at Farsight have pretty thick skins, but I make a point of saying how much I appreciate what they do and to "keep your chins up!" when I'm reporting issues to the support address (I have also written a letter of praise to my mobile phone service provider about how much I like their call centre, so I may be a bit odd that way).

I know if I was undertaking an effort like this and I got some of the bile I've seen directed in this forum and on Facebook I'd stop responding to users at a minimum if not just walk away from the project altogether so my hat's off to them just for sticking around!

Last edited:

Squid

Senior Creature
Mar 22, 2012
If the interest is there, I can finish this pathetic analogy. :)

This place needs more Buddhist input anyways.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I like rants that are peppered with wit and sarcasm. Anybody can be angry, but not many can be funny while doing it. See Louis Black, Adam Carolla, and Dennis Miller for how to rant properly.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
I like rants that are peppered with wit and sarcasm. Anybody can be angry, but not many can be funny while doing it. See Louis Black, Adam Carolla, and Dennis Miller for how to rant properly.
For entertainment value, this was one of the better ones. Very considerate of him to leave ample material on the table for witty ripostes and an entire blog post response continuing the metaphor.

Metalzoic

Jun 8, 2012
For entertainment value, this was one of the better ones. Very considerate of him to leave ample material on the table for witty ripostes and an entire blog post response continuing the metaphor.

I agree. I thought it was quite funny and very well written, it made me laugh several times.
It doesn't hurt that I can see the truths in his restaurant analogy (and actually agree with most of it).

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012

I agree with this. I definitely can't compete with these legends. Well, minus Adam Carolla.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.