The PS3 "super patch"

BBIAJ

Jul 31, 2012
There are no new tables listed as being available on the PlayStation Blog, so I'm guessing that we won't be getting the patch either.

Sucks to be us...

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Yeah, PS store has been updated but no PBA update. :(

Oh well, i still got ZP 2 to tide me over, i could play PBA but i have been steering clear of it until the update, so i get a double whammy. :)

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Wow really didn't expect another delay.. :(

I won't expect next week too.

Actually, the megapatch is a little bit different for us, as it doesn't include MM/BoP and CV/FH packs, unlike the US version.

There might be some extra work, which explains the delay (+ the fact that Sony EU is incompetent).

Last edited:

RJB

May 1, 2013
Not going to start blaming anyone in particular, simply put I'm not bothered whether it's Sony, Farsight or both who are to blame for yet another delay in the UK/Europe, either way having waited so long for this Mega Patch that at one point was supposed to be released last year:eek: we now find that once again UK/Europe is getting messed about for even longer.

I have bought every possible table on the PS3, and have also bought every possible table on the PS4, so to say I feel greatly let down would be a major understatement, truly fed up supporting these developer's with hard earned cash only to be let down time and time again.:mad: Is our money no good, surely we deserve to get these game fixes at the same time, simply not good enough, period.

omisnad

Feb 22, 2014
I won't expect next week too.

Actually, the megapatch is a little bit different for us, as it doesn't include MM/BoP and CV/FH packs, unlike the US version.

There might be some extra work, which explains the delay (and the fact that Sony EU is incompetent).

No extra work, just incompetent SCEE. Ill be surprised if we ever get the update. Just like we never got any of the PS4 euro release issues fixed.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
disappointed as well :(

I hope we can get a realistic date soon.

Sad to say, but because of the disappointment, I don't care anymore.

I eagerly waited this megapatch since the first announcement (in September 2013), and now, I don't care.

If it comes in May, well... OK.

:/

budtki@verizon.net

Aug 20, 2012
i have a couple of good suggestions for the next "superpatch", and by the way...THANKS FARSIGHT FOR YOUR CONTINUED EFFORT IN KEEPING PINBALL A BRIGHT SPOT OF THE DAY FOR MANY OF US PINBALLERS!...so here's my suggestions: 1) {better sound} i have a BOSE 3.1 surround and some tables sound incredible, and then there are the others(these poor sounding machines may be too acurate in repelicating what was initially a poor sound quality of the the original machine to begin with) so is it possible to clean up some of these machines?...and i'm still waiting for a better, more wood like sound when achieving a SPECIAL....2) when working on camera angles, is it possible to offer a better angle for those tables that have an upper loop like FUN HOUSE, WHIRLWIND, NO GOOD GOPHERS...(a camera angle that let's you really enjoy attacking these upper loops with the upper flipper) this ability allows you to truly enjoy those types of tables....

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
updated yet again...

update #8, 04/09/2014

I think Farsight has done a great job with this patch. Everything looks to be much improved!

Here's my attempt at compiling a changelog based on comparisons from pre-Super Patch data.
Thanks to everyone who has offered submissions. If you have something to add, which isn't already listed here, please let me know and I'll update it + give credit.

Added to TPA via Super Patch:
1. More responsive flippers.
2. Stereoscopic 3D *press triangle /\ and use right analog stick to adjust strength.
3. Audio mixing via sliders (sound effects / table music / menu music)
4. Default *Ching* sound removed when typing initials for high score allowing you to hear the intended sound effect.
5. Global contrast and saturation improvements on most table assets.
6. The dmd is now animated on the back glass of mm, NGG, and mb. They weren't before. (Submitted by Gorgar)

Changes noticed on tables:

ATTACK FROM MARS
Pop bumpers are improved *
Black seam half way up playfield art is now gone *

BLACK KNIGHT
No more scorch mark on the playfield!
Balls don't travel through the table.

CACTUS CANYON
Improved colors
Better camera angles (you can now clearly see the right outlane.
Guns look better (might be from better lighting?)

CIRQUS VOLTAIRE
The screen is much brighter and looks fantastic. Perhaps they are using a higher resolution scan?
The neon reflects on the insides of the table (nice effect!).
The whole table feels less floaty and much more fluid.
Ringmaster looks more 3D and polished looking.
Added lightning bolt sticker on neon tube & sticker to left of DMD on back wall & sticker on the highwire ramp.*

DR DUDE
Wow! The colors really pop on this.
Not much else noticed.

ELVIRA AND THE PARTY MONSTERS
Black seam half way up playfield art is now gone. *
Texture added to translucent Party Punch Ramp.

FIREPOWER
The pop bumpers are vastly improved. *

FUNHOUSE
The plunger now pulls back all the way *

HARLEY DAVIDSON
Table contrast and color saturation has been adjusted. No more "pale rider" ;)

NO GOOD GOPHERS
Contrast and muted colors were adjusted.
The playing field might be a little bit too dark compared to other tables.
Ramps are a nicer and more colorful shade of blue.

RIPLEY'S BELIEVE IT OR NOT
Probably the best looking table now!
Sharper table graphics.
Rails look more golden and now cast shadows onto table.
Ramps cast light differently and are a deeper red.

STAR TREK TNG
Table is no longer giving off a pink hue.
The table is much brighter and colors more vivid.
The gamer angle for probe launching has been improved.
The blue shield lights above the Enterprise are now correctly aligned. *

T2 JUDGEMENT DAY
Colors are more accurate.

TEE'D OFF
No more pink hue.
Palm trees look improved.

TWILIGHT ZONE
Better colors (no more pink hue).
Pop bumpers have a better than texture and look better when lit. They have a shiny 3D look to them.
Metal ramp looks improved.
Gumball machine looks awesome now!

WHITE WATER
It no longer crashes the PS3! :)
Table graphics are much cleaner.
Colors are more accurate.

* = submitted by shutyertrap
* = submitted by Grashopper

FUTURE PATCH REQUESTS ...."Mega Patch" ? ;)
1. Ability to play custom music either via the XMB or in game menu. (Would be perfect for Arcade Ambience mp3 background sounds!)
2. Online co-op play with option with voice chat.
3. The Pinball Arcade main menu overhaul.
4. Lighting day/night slider. (This was discussed by Farsight quite a while ago, but as of yet, not implemented.)
5. Improved pinball flyer scans (1920x1080 pixel or higher would be idea for consoles)
6. Further refinement and replacement of blurry table graphics (I.E. CFTBL - Title card, instructions, Universal Monsters sticker, and the bumper next to the KISS lane, Victory playfield is low res. )
7. Seperate savable camera view option settings for EACH table for every option: (submitted be Neil L.)
8. The ability to view table instructions while game is paused.
9. Option to remove HUD when table is in "pre-play" panning attract mode.
10. Option for table glass and reflections (like in Williams Pinball Hall of Fame)
11. TATE mode for PS3 version. Perfect for rotatable screens.
12. Multi-controller support. (Submitted by MonkeyGrass)
13. Add Hall of Fame Scoring. (Submitted by Grashopper)
14. Add a "tournament" difficulty setting (which disables extra-balls) and separate leaderboards for it. (Submitted by Tann)
15. We could use more camera viewing angles. (Submitted by Budtki)

I kind of wish someone from Farsight would chime in with some other things that were updated here. I'm betting there was quite a long list of what was addressed in this patch and it would make us appreciate it even more.

Can someone verify this.... Updatability (Farsight now has the ability to patch any DLC table pack.)

=========================================================

By the way, I forget who was looking for it, SEASON 2 PACK has returned to the PSN Store
Here >> https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...pass/cid=UP2058-NPUB30713_00-SEASON0000000002

i have a couple of good suggestions for the next "superpatch", and by the way...THANKS FARSIGHT FOR YOUR CONTINUED EFFORT IN KEEPING PINBALL A BRIGHT SPOT OF THE DAY FOR MANY OF US PINBALLERS!...so here's my suggestions: 1) {better sound} i have a BOSE 3.1 surround and some tables sound incredible, and then there are the others(these poor sounding machines may be too acurate in repelicating what was initially a poor sound quality of the the original machine to begin with) so is it possible to clean up some of these machines?...and i'm still waiting for a better, more wood like sound when achieving a SPECIAL....2) when working on camera angles, is it possible to offer a better angle for those tables that have an upper loop like FUN HOUSE, WHIRLWIND, NO GOOD GOPHERS...(a camera angle that let's you really enjoy attacking these upper loops with the upper flipper) this ability allows you to truly enjoy those types of tables....

Thanks, I added your suggestion for more camera angles. I totally agree, more options, and even a free roam (during play) would be ideal.

As far as the sound goes they are pretty much bound to what the originals had to offer. Keep in mind that many older machines used low sample rates due to memory constraints. This often produces "scratchy" or less than ideal voice and instrument samples.
Just try and think of it as part of the table's charm. They were able to pull off some pretty amazing things with the technology they had.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
As far as the sound goes they are pretty much bound to what the originals had to offer. Keep in mind that many older machines used low sample rates due to memory constraints. This often produces "scratchy" or less than ideal voice and instrument samples.

I remember to have read that some sounds/musics have a low sample rate in order to fit the size limit on mobile devices.

This low sound quality has been brought to consoles versions unfortunately.

Only the PC version has a better quality concerning sample rate (FS worked on that).

I'm not totally sure about all this, but I guess I've read it on the forum.

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I remember to have read that some sounds/musics have a low sample rate in order to fit the size limit on mobile devices.

This low sound quality has been brought to consoles versions unfortunately.

Only the PC version has a better quality concerning sample rate (FS worked on that).

I'm not totally sure about all this, but I guess I've read it on the forum.

Yeah, I remember hearing that as well, but it never made sense to me.
All of the sound data (aside from the mechanical stuff such as the flipper and ball rolling FX, menu music, etc.) is stored within the romset so that wouldn't make any sense to have them extract the sound data and further compress it, then inject it back into the roms. Most sound data in roms are less than 1MB in size anyway, so again, I don't believe they are reducing quality.

The only cause I can think of for any sound degradation would probably be attributed to emulation issues.
All I can say is they sound pretty close to what I remember in the arcades.

I have heard issues with distorted and clipping sound in the PS4 version though.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
All of the sound data (aside from the mechanical stuff such as the flipper and ball rolling FX, menu music, etc.) is stored within the romset so that wouldn't make any sense to have them extract the sound data and further compress it, then inject it back into the roms. Most sound data in roms are less than 1MB in size anyway, so again, I don't believe they are reducing quality.

The only cause I can think of for any sound degradation would probably be attributed to emulation issues.

I have heard issues with distorted and clipping sound in the PS4 version though.

I believe that the sound card is separate from the ROM. They are running a virtual ROM but it's more of a scripting of the sound. I remember that one of the guys at FarSight explained that they had to insert their own beeps into Medieval Madness because the sounds on the sound card were actually complete and the ROM on the actual machine was inserting the beep over the complete swear word. Since FarSight wasn't really emulating the sound they had to record the sound clips with a beep recorded into it.

pcraenme

Jun 18, 2013
Not going to start blaming anyone in particular, simply put I'm not bothered whether it's Sony, Farsight or both who are to blame for yet another delay in the UK/Europe, either way having waited so long for this Mega Patch that at one point was supposed to be released last year:eek: we now find that once again UK/Europe is getting messed about for even longer.

I have bought every possible table on the PS3, and have also bought every possible table on the PS4, so to say I feel greatly let down would be a major understatement, truly fed up supporting these developer's with hard earned cash only to be let down time and time again.:mad: Is our money no good, surely we deserve to get these game fixes at the same time, simply not good enough, period.
Same here. I bought all the tables on iOS and PS3 and a season 3 pass on Steam/PC. After the disappointment about the pricing of season 1 & 2 on Steam in Europe, again EU customers are 'affected'. If Sony Europe is the reason why EU gets updates later or new tables at a later date, why isn't the same happening for other PS3 games as well? E.g., I own GT5 and GT6, and updates for these are rolled out globally at the same dates.
Come on Farsight, I've spent a lot of money on TPA already, treat me the same as any of your customers outside the EU!

nstalkie

Jun 30, 2013
That's because GT5 and GT6 are big names. For other games, I've seen patches get delayed frequently for different regions.

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
Dear lord people are so nitpicky it's almost disgusting. Calm down, it's only a video game.

I only see frustrated people, not angry. 6 months waiting, US players enjoy the megapatch, but for europeans, nothing (as always + higher prices + table packs delays in the past). And as I said a few days ago, not even a hint of when it will be available, thanks to SCEE.

In one month, like the 1.09 update delay?

Easy to say "[we are] disgusting" (thanks by the way), it has been said April 1st, you have it, you're happy (you're in US, right? ;)).

Yep, it's only a videogame, but have we at least the right to be disappointed?

For my part, I don't care anymore, what's the point after all...

Last edited:

starck

Jun 7, 2012

Sorry for the caps, I mean the utmost respect, but here goes yet another attempt on my part to get farsight to pay attention and fix this issue on the PS3.

FARSIGHT. PLEASE READ THIS. YOU CONTINUE TO GLOSS OVER THIS ISSUE. YOU HAVE NOT ADDRESSED IT SINCE THE RELEASE OF THE TABLES ON PS3 ;)

• The sound quality on the PS3...more specifically, the sound effects from the actual table ROMS....is, has been, and continues to be, lower than it exists in the PC version, and, more importantly: lower than the 'real-life version' it is emulating

• Stewart Webster from Farsight has confirmed this over 4 months ago on the form for both the iOS and Mac versions. As Stewart Webster said in the cited post below from 12/17/13, "The PC version has the audio sample rate set to 44k, while the iOS and Mac version are set to 11k. I can't speak for the PS3 as I have no part in it. The lower sample rates are due to engine limitations."

• Source: Stewart Webster of Farsight's post in the Mac forum from 4 months ago: here

• As the PS3 version is a port/upscaled version of the mobile version(more or less...less so now after the patches...hopefully more to come), and as the audible distinction in sound quality between the PS3 and PC versions remains....distinct...(and since the PS3 version sounds...exactly like the iOS/Mac version...horrible)....it is quite obvious that:

• Sound quality from the original ROM's is not being reproduced on the PS3 as it should be. The sound quality issue is due to the fact that farsight downsampled most of the original ROM files to a lower sample rate for the mobile engines. There's simply no doubt that it was transferred over to the PS3 and PS4. It remains a very big problem that continues to receive no attention for the ps3/consoles.

• I would suggest continuing to bother farsight about it. The more people that bring up the issue with them, the more they will care. :rolleyes::confused:

(bolding and underlining used in hopes of catching farsight's attention! :eek:)

( For more information on the original ROM sound quality, specifically for the DCS era, see this post from a Williams employee: detailing the specifics of the DCS system)

Last edited:

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
I only see frustrated people, not angry. 6 months waiting, US players enjoy the megapatch, but for europeans, nothing (as always + higher prices + table packs delays in the past). And as I said a few days ago, not even a hint of when it will be available, thanks to SCEE.

Easy to say "[we are] disgusting" (thanks by the way), it has been said April 1st, you have it, you're happy (you're in US, right? ;)).

Not talking about you guys that have to wait, that post was geared towards the people that already have the patch. I'm not going to point out individual posts.

I will admit though, it is pretty sad that SCEE makes SCEA look like angels from heaven.

DarkAkatosh

May 23, 2012
One more request for the mods. Could this thread or posts from it be merged with the sticky thread? I found more bugs still outstanding that are probably going to end up getting ignored because everyone is posting in here. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 2.20 sticky thread.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013

Well we do not really know who is responsible for no UK/EU patch yet, i hope it's simply a Sony EU issue and the patch is simply sitting with Sony for some reason waiting to go live, and not something more time delaying as there being no UK/EU patch, or the EU/UK patch is not even in Sony's hands, that would mean i don't know how long until we might see it here in the UK/EU.

But i am sure somebody will be along soon to let us know what is happening, even if it's to tell us the patch is months away, i think being open is always the best way to be, yes some will be unhappy, but good or bad news, it's always best to keep your customer base informed and up to date, which i am sure they will do real soon. :)

That way i don't have to start it up everyday full of hope and joy of the patch appearing, only to have my hopes smashed into a thousand pieces on the rocks of disappointment below on a daily bases....(I am sure i can convey even more drama queen in future posts). lol

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts