The Random Thought Thread

wolfson

May 24, 2013
hot tip , Gravel is BLOODY FANTASTIC !!!!!:cool: racing is all over the world ,in stadiums , in the wild Alaska ,beaches ,snow . there is so much racing your mind will boggle . mud , rain , sunshine , jumps , it`s got it all . the best thing about it it`s BLOODY FUN !!!!:cool: I played for just over an hour , I`m stuffed , it`s just after midnight , I`m going to get some beauty sleep , goodnight !!!:cool::cool:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
You can buy pre-cooked, pre-crumbled real bacon these days, but old time bacon bits aren't bacon, no. They're made out of vegetables or soy.

Oct 15, 2013
I've cooked bacon so many ways and the microwave is the worst. Curled up and dried out. I even have a Makin' Bacon thingy. The best way is to get yourself one of those nonstick copper pans and cut the the strips of bacon in half so it'll fit. Then just cook it low with a plate on top of the pan. Having the plate on top upside down keeps the range clean of bacon grease. I've baked it too on a cookie sheet with aluminum foil. That's good too but then you can have a garbage bag disaster on trash day because of grease leakage from the balled up foil. With the pan method you just dump the grease into a soup can or something.

I've cooked/eaten way too much bacon......................

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My brother makes bacon in an air fryer he bought around Christmas time. He swears it’s the best bacon he has ever had.

I agree, microwave bacon is not that good. I consider it the lowest acceptable form of bacon. For a quick addition to a sandwich or burger I will use it. I hate to make a mess for just a couple slices of bacon.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I've cooked bacon in a pizza oven.

How long does that take? Like 1 minute at 700 degrees?

Unless you're making gross pan fried burgers. Yuck.

A burger cooked in a cast iron skillet with that thin crust it forms on the burger can be a magical thing.

Edit: And add a slice of that great Wisconsin cheddar you guys make up there while your at it. :)

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
How long does that take? Like 1 minute at 700 degrees?

That's probably about right. But wrong kind of pizza oven.

496411.jpg

I do want to get a backyard brick pizza oven, but for now it's that. I don't think many people outside of Wisconsin have these, no one ever knows what I'm talking about.

Edit: And add a slice of that great Wisconsin cheddar you guys make up there while your at it. :)

Cheddar is classic for sure. Colby is my favorite on a burger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colby_cheese

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
A backyard pizza oven looks like a bit of a chore to get all heated up. I’m too lazy for that, even though they make great pizza.

Is that just an electric plug in you have? Does it work well? Would you recommend it? Large enough for a calzone/stromboli?

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Is that just an electric plug in you have?

Yup.

Does it work well? Would you recommend it?

They work well for most pizzas and typically cook them faster than a conventional oven with less hassle. They work especially well with thinner crusts, cooks them up nice and crisp in a fraction of the time of an oven. Plenty of other stuff you can cook in them too, especially if you put a piece of foil down on the rack.

As for recommending one, I dunno. It is a specialty thing that takes up space. If you only occasionally make a homemade pizza, probably just stick with the oven. If you're like me and you also occasionally enjoy a frozen pizza and finding lazy ways to cook other stuff, and have room for it, then I'd say it's worth it.

Large enough for a calzone/stromboli?

Should be, unless you you make them really huge. Pizzas ovens are typically made for 12" or 14" pizzas so length/width shouldn't be an issue. Height might be if you make them really thick.

I can't attest to how well a fresh homemade calzone/stromboli would cook up in one, though, never tried that.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I`m back , I played myself stupid on Gravel for 4 days , great fun !!!!:cool: fellas you need great all year weather like us Down Under . we have free electric BBQs everywhere , rivers beaches mountains and everywhere in between . you guys love your BBQs , so chuck it on the Barbie !!!! :cool: loads of Euro football tonight , no games for 24 hours haha :cool:

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
This one’s to my boi Switch. Broken phone? This is a good opportunity for you to get on iOS my friend. I know how competitive you are. Either way. I’ll have an Azacca for you while you think about it.

I’ll be waiting.... and take care bud. I blame those damn x-men.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.