Thoughts on Attack From Mars (PS3)

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
something is off with this table, why is it so difficult to trap? is it too bouncy or to fast? gravity too high? ALL THE ABOVE! how does the ball fit between those tiny outlanes without touching anything? Its fun till you see things like that or the ball magically pops off the right orbit and you say WTF!?

I was wondering about the right orbit exit (following a strong left orbit shot) myself. Is there something sticking out a bit on the real table that makes the ball sometimes deflect towards the center drain in the same way? Or is this just a stray polygon in the TPA version, meaning that it should be fixed?

I've never played the real table so I have no frame of reference to know if its accurate.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that I do like this table quite a bit so far on PS3.

Arjan

Feb 23, 2013
orbit shots

I have the real pinball and have to say they did a nice job, but I agree on you that sometimes strong left orbit shots return straight down the middle by something that sticks out, this is NOT on my real pinball and I have never seen that happen on any real AFM.

Strobe multiball should be darker because it is a big disappointment

I was wondering about the right orbit exit (following a strong left orbit shot) myself. Is there something sticking out a bit on the real table that makes the ball sometimes deflect towards the center drain in the same way? Or is this just a stray polygon in the TPA version, meaning that it should be fixed?

I've never played the real table so I have no frame of reference to know if its accurate.

Edit: Almost forgot to mention that I do like this table quite a bit so far on PS3.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I have the real pinball and have to say they did a nice job, but I agree on you that sometimes strong left orbit shots return straight down the middle by something that sticks out, this is NOT on my real pinball and I have never seen that happen on any real AFM.

Strobe multiball should be darker because it is a big disappointment

Thanks for the response from an actual owner (I'm a little jealous). It must be just a minor flaw in the TPA geometry in that area of the table then. Hopefully they can fix later on at some point.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
Getting superjets is awfully hard. The bumpers just don't seem to register hits at all a lot of the time. Otherwise it's great.

I was battling with that also, a lot of the times the ball just falls through all the bumpers without them triggering. My recommendation is going for a lot of multiball modes and just jam them up into the bumpers. It was the last on the normal goals I had left and I finished that one yesterday (I got to the Attack Mars mode but didn't make the required shots, was too excited) :)

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I decided to pick up this table pack over the weekend. My thoughts:

- as others have mentioned, the ball seems REALLY fast at times. It's almost like there's a skewed scale/perspective or something - where the top half of the table plays at one speed and then the ball moves a lot faster on the bottom half. It doesn't feel right, whatever it is.

- there's definitely something off with the left orbit shot deflecting off of something on return. Doesn't happen every time but it sure happens a LOT.

- I like this table a lot. The layout is so different from most mid-90s machines with no upper flippers and every shot being so long. Very cool. The left orbit and speed issues really hurt the gameplay though.

- I've got no complaints on how the table looks. Looks pretty good, IMHO.

Apr 8, 2012
I don't think that the engine can handle this tbh. Since there is no way to adjust between playing in a dark room and a room with lights turned on.
Strobe Multiball in that video looked awesome :)

AFAIK, the current engine does not have dynamic lighting, so this sort of effect is not possible. I'm really hoping they implement dynamic lighting on the PC version and next gen consoles. It would make all the tables look a ton better.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
AFAIK, the current engine does not have dynamic lighting, so this sort of effect is not possible. I'm really hoping they implement dynamic lighting on the PC version and next gen consoles. It would make all the tables look a ton better.
The 360 version of Cirqus Voltaire does a similar effect just fine with Neon Multiball. It is not quite the same as a real CV in a darkened room, but it's enough that you get the idea. Unless there's something I'm missing, I don't know why that effect couldn't be used (with white light) as a placeholder if they can't do an actual strobe effect.

And yes, I'm hoping the PC version gets the super-deluxe lighting treatment as well.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Guhhh I hate strobe effects on pinball machines, I'm glad it doesn't do that in TPA : PP

gr8lipz

Apr 3, 2013
I'm glad I'm not the only one with the annoying right orbit-down the middle shot. I also have seen another glitch...a hard shot into Stroke of Luck and the ball immediately spits out from the bottom of the Tractor Beam ramp (right under the cow). Still, my favorite game so far, having played (and ruled the universe) when the game dropped almost 19 years ago. Wonder if the sequel Revenge From Mars is in our future?

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread by my random story. As you were...

Last edited:

PinballPauly

Mar 12, 2013
just bought AFM for PS3 last night and immediately noticed that it was a very bright and washed out table. Its actually difficult to follow the ball sometimes.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
just bought AFM for PS3 last night and immediately noticed that it was a very bright and washed out table. Its actually difficult to follow the ball sometimes.

I think AFM is one of the better looking tables on the PS3. Not sure why yours would be too bright and washed out.

PinballPauly

Mar 12, 2013
I can easily say that AFM is the worst looking table on my PS3. My TAXI and HDAV are so washed out it is almost black and white looking. All the other tables look great. Really weird.

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
To all who think afm is too fast, a well maintained real afm really can be that quick.

Like I said in my post above, the speed seems inconsistent. Like the ball picks up speed in the bottom half of the screen for no reason because of the graphical perspective instead of any actual physics.

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
The Strobe MB is really the only thing that let me down. I guess like you guys said their engine (at least for now) cannot handle it,but it can be done. ZP2's engine can dim the whole table. I'm not saying they're better than us.I am just saying it is not a technical limitation of the PS3.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.