Thoughts on the new TPA MM

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
so far my best was at about 220,000,000 on MM, although I lost a couple of balls very quickly and i feel like I can do better. I'm #142 on the xbox leaderboards... the top guy got over 2 billion... I can't compete with that at all... must be either some kind of hack or he/she is a very gifted autistic kid with an insane talent at digital pinball.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
just cannot get past 4 castles....massive drain monster..i'm loving the challenge though

After 3/4 castles I open the drawbridge at once (as the moat prevents any risk of drains), then leave the gate untill some sort of multiball starts and whack it relentless untill the ballsaver is gone, then focus on some jackpots (depending on its worth and with juggling 3+ you usually get a few more shots in by accident). When 2 balls are left, I trap one and aim for the gate untill its destroyed. Then go back to jackpots.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I mean dude 2.5 billion is amazing and I fully respect the talents of the player known as Elvis if that is real. But he doesnt have the highest scores on other tables, so something feels off and I think at that score if he had real skill on MM like that he would probably hold the #1 for most the tables which is not the case. So far i have a little over 356mill at the #72 spot on the xbox leaderboards and ive been trying so damn hard to do higher and just can't, it's very frustrating trying to get more than that. I would like to see a video of Elvis playing and watch his stategy, what tricks does he have and such. The guy who holds the world record for Donkey Kong is partially autistic, autistic people are very good at video games. David Letterman is also autistic, and he's a great talk show host. No offence meant I would just like to compare notes with Elvis and see that this kind of score is actually possible.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Elvis has had the highscore on most tables at some point. Only recently (as in the last 2 weeks) have some people caught up. He actually has a thread dedicated to him on this forum.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012
I mean dude 2.5 billion is amazing and I fully respect the talents of the player known as Elvis if that is real. But he doesnt have the highest scores on other tables, so something feels off and I think at that score if he had real skill on MM like that he would probably hold the #1 for most the tables which is not the case. So far i have a little over 356mill at the #72 spot on the xbox leaderboards and ive been trying so damn hard to do higher and just can't, it's very frustrating trying to get more than that. I would like to see a video of Elvis playing and watch his stategy, what tricks does he have and such. The guy who holds the world record for Donkey Kong is partially autistic, autistic people are very good at video games. David Letterman is also autistic, and he's a great talk show host. No offence meant I would just like to compare notes with Elvis and see that this kind of score is actually possible.
Not sure about autism helping with game playing, but there is a "genetic" factor. I remember an interview with Billy Mitchell, the "bad guy" from King of Kong, who described his skill as something similar to how some people can naturally play a musical instrument better than others - it's a natural skill, and cannot be duplicated simply by practice.

Gordon

May 28, 2012
I Hope for updade. My best 129.000.000 and 5 castles destroyed. Many many games i have play and never seen Videomode. 90 % or Ball out in the middle or fast outlines for no nudge chance. Too big gap in the middle of the flips. I don´t know 2,5 Billion. Is that real or Cheat?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Not sure about autism helping with game playing, but there is a "genetic" factor. I remember an interview with Billy Mitchell, the "bad guy" from King of Kong, who described his skill as something similar to how some people can naturally play a musical instrument better than others - it's a natural skill, and cannot be duplicated simply by practice.
I'd agree in part. Things like pattern recognition, hand eye coordination, ability to keep mental and physical attributes in check when under stress (less trembling, sweating, heartrate increase) and multitaksing capabilites are ablities found in a lot of proffesional gamers.

And on top, its also related to age sadly. The whole sc2 scene is dominated by people under 25, and above that results just taper off, whereas the people with the most experience and skilldevelopment that should transfer (from sc1) should be around 30.

God I wish I could be good at sc2 :)

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
I Hope for updade. My best 129.000.000 and 5 castles destroyed. Many many games i have play and never seen Videomode. 90 % or Ball out in the middle or fast outlines for no nudge chance. Too big gap in the middle of the flips. I don´t know 2,5 Billion. Is that real or Cheat?

just played mm and got 209,808,780 with only 2 castles destroyed... and the gap really is not the problem

2.5 bil? no cheat imo

Killer French Bread

Aug 20, 2012
I don't think autism would help in naturally being good at a game necessarily. Maybe the guy has a certain mindset that lets him concentrate on a specific thing at once for a long period of time when others would get bored or have something better to do - I used to know an autistic guy who was really good at guitar, we started learning at about the same time but he got a lot better a lot quicker because he was a lot more single minded and obsessive about his interests than me. I don;t think he was more naturally talented, but I couldn't be bothered to sit there and practise for hours, whilst he happily would. His dedication was pretty extreme to say the least, way beyond what a normal person would invest in a hobby. I dunno if this is typical of autistic people, but from my one experience with knowing someone with it, it wouldn't surprise me if it was a similar situation for the donkey kong guy.

AshleyAshes

Jun 27, 2012
I think that trying to chock the results of high scores up to autisim, is pretty ignorant and insensitive. Autistic people arn't like in Rainman, ya know that?

Seriously, some people are just naturally very good at certian things and some of those people even practice those things, resulting in them being about a billion times better at it than you are. This is why Usain Bolt can run faster than you or why Michael Phelps can swim faster than you.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I think that trying to chock the results of high scores up to autisim, is pretty ignorant and insensitive. Autistic people arn't like in Rainman, ya know that?

Seriously, some people are just naturally very good at certian things and some of those people even practice those things, resulting in them being about a billion times better at it than you are. This is why Usain Bolt can run faster than you or why Michael Phelps can swim faster than you.

**CHEEKY**
And some of those people are autistic.

Personally I think chalking anything up to "Talent" alone is insulting to that person. In the end, the person who works harder will usually end up better than the person who only has "Talent". If you want to get seriously good at something you have to play/practice through almost painful levels of frustration or even painful levels of pain.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Keep in mind that lifetime high scores on pinball represent one singular achievement, not a sustained level of performance as would be required in most other fields of endeavor. That highlighted FunHouse score in my signature is triple any other score I've ever achieved on any FH, real or virtual. I would not be able to get anywhere near it on demand - I think my average FH score is around 20 million.

As for autism, I suggest we drop the subject before the forum police arrive, as it is not relevant to Medieval Madness, the XBox 360, or pinball in general.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts