PC - Bug Tilt Sensitivity is bugged

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
0.022: Tilt sensitivity seems great now, both on keyboard and 360 controller. Excellent work, guys! :D

The only remaining issue is the tilt warnings not resetting on all scripted tables other than Black Hole. Would it be possible to go the Centaur route instead and just have a higher level? Seems more ideal.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
0.022: Tilt sensitivity seems great now, both on keyboard and 360 controller. Excellent work, guys!

Sounds promising. Looking forward to testing later.

Jeff, are you finding tilt sensitivity is consistent across all tables?

Last edited:

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
So, I had a chance to have a quick play around with the tilt-o-meter, and things certainly seem very much improved! Well done fellas.

In general I feel that the default tilt settings are over generous on most of the tables I've tried so far, especially when nudging upwards on the controller. It still takes a lot of persistent 'force' to actually tilt the tables.

The exception to this is still Haunted House, which is way more sensitive and doesn't have the safety net of two 'W' warning triggers.

Centaur also seemed more sensitive, even though the tilt bar on the meter is further than half way up (as on most other tables). Although it also has no warnings, so tilting on this table was again a bit 'better' imo.

As Jeff mentioned, tilt warnings are not being reset for each new ball, on some of the tables.

Is the tilt-o-meter something that you plan on developing a little further, so players can adjust the tilt level to suit? That would be ideal.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Just to elaborate a little further on why I think tilt sensitivity is still generally far too generous.

Normally, all it takes is a full nudge either left our right on the controller to save a center ball drain. But this isn't enough to trigger a warning, so a player could basically save center drains indefinitely without even a warning.

F2000 is one of the more sensitive types though. You have to treat her with care! ;)

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Kikom, I completely agree. This is why I hope they'll add a difficulty option with a less generous tilt sensitivity. I'd pay for such an option in the Pro Mode, as long as it had it's own leaderboard. Pretty much all they'd have to do is change the tilt sensitivity, turn off extra balls, add some more randomness/strength to the kickouts, and we'd have a good "hardcore" mode. Bring it on! :)

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Kikom, I completely agree. This is why I hope they'll add a difficulty option with a less generous tilt sensitivity. I'd pay for such an option in the Pro Mode, as long as it had it's own leaderboard. Pretty much all they'd have to do is change the tilt sensitivity, turn off extra balls, add some more randomness/strength to the kickouts, and we'd have a good "hardcore" mode. Bring it on! :)

The monster bash kickout would be a pretty good thing to imitate in this case. It's still a bit too predictable but as far as I've been able to figure you can't really control it properly afterwards without getting real fancy with nudging. I think the exit speed has a lot to do with it.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012

+1

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
Keyboard nudging is indeed much better in .022 due to the increased strength of the nudges. It still seems a little harder to get a warning than on iOS, but not by much.

By looking at the tilt meter, I can also see that left or right nudges generate warnings more quickly than nudging up (that is, they fill the meter a little more). I couldn't tell you if this is realistic.

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
By looking at the tilt meter, I can also see that left or right nudges generate warnings more quickly than nudging up (that is, they fill the meter a little more). I couldn't tell you if this is realistic.
It's been discovered that vertical nudges from binary input methods (i.e., touchscreen or keyboard) have only 70% of the strength of horizontal nudges, and that this started back when diagonal nudges were superstrong and had to be adjusted. So I believe it's an unintentional side effect from that fix and should be corrected.

On a physical machine, the tilt bob should be resting in the center of the ring, such that (approximately) the same amount of force would be required in any direction to register a tilt warning.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.