timeframe on dx11

Status
Not open for further replies.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Just emailed him again and got a quick reply back:

"I asked Mike R and James for an update. They're both swamped, but DX11 should be high on the to-do list. I'll let you know when I have some kind of estimate."

So it doesn't sound like it'll be any time soon :/

any time soon seems to be a relative term with FS....

Any chance this thread is closed by this time next year?

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I want to see more than just a lighting overhaul, with dx11 they can use a slight DOF (depth of field) in combination with with the updated lighting that would make pinball arcade seem like a real photograph. Slight DOF of course not so you can't see what's in the distance just the right amount to make all the edges on everything seem perfectly smooth with the images not blurring. Been playing allot of PC games that use DOF lately and have been mind blow to how amazing lighting and perspective has become in pc gaming. On a sad note I just played the first game I couldn't run at full specs on my gtx670, Metro: Last Light fully taxed out my card. got the video card like 2 years ago and at the time it was very impressive but already were 3 gens ahead and I'm drooling over new card I can't afford. anyways yeah can't wait to see pinball arcade become next-gen on pc :)

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
I want to see more than just a lighting overhaul, with dx11 they can use a slight DOF (depth of field) in combination with with the updated lighting that would make pinball arcade seem like a real photograph. Slight DOF of course not so you can't see what's in the distance just the right amount to make all the edges on everything seem perfectly smooth with the images not blurring. Been playing allot of PC games that use DOF lately and have been mind blow to how amazing lighting and perspective has become in pc gaming. On a sad note I just played the first game I couldn't run at full specs on my gtx670, Metro: Last Light fully taxed out my card. got the video card like 2 years ago and at the time it was very impressive but already were 3 gens ahead and I'm drooling over new card I can't afford. anyways yeah can't wait to see pinball arcade become next-gen on pc :)

I personally really don't want to see depth of field. It would make no sense because of the scale of the thing being shown, and I want everything easily visible when playing. Thankfully if it actually does happen it'll almost certainly be an option so I'd be ok with that. If someone wants to turn it on that's their deal.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
... gtx670, ... at the time it was very impressive but already were 3 gens ahead

Not really, the GTX 7xx series was not much of a change at all compared to GTX 6xx (still Kepler based) and a GTX 760 was about as fast a a GTX 670 (give or take 5% depending on the game due to the higher GPU clock speeds but less shader units) and GTX 8xx only existed in laptops and it's the same tech that now came to desktops as GTX 9xx - this is really the first truly new generation with its' Maxwell based GPUs since GTX 6xx.
Also unless you go SLI with multiple video cards the GTX 670 is still pretty competitive with the GTX 980 being like 60-110% faster.
The Metro games were always really hardware hungry, so that is not saying much :)

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I personally really don't want to see depth of field. It would make no sense because of the scale of the thing being shown, and I want everything easily visible when playing. Thankfully if it actually does happen it'll almost certainly be an option so I'd be ok with that. If someone wants to turn it on that's their deal.
Yeah. Using a cab the (bad) quality of my eyes create a pretty good dof of their own.

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
i think with the depth of field you have to see how it's used in certain games to know what I'm talking about. looking at objects up close it's barley noticeable it just makes the images look super smooth but still sharp and all the edges become perfect with no visible pixels anywhere. nothing would look blurry it's very slight when looking at up close objects (which would be the entire table), it just makes it look real like your actually looking at the table with human eyes.

Last edited:

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I should also note that Zen Pinball (which visually looks great but in my opinion plays like crap) already uses depth of field and looks gorgeous with it

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
The new Nvidia GTX 970 and 980 are truly amazing.
The 980 is the fastest card on the planet and the 970 comes at an affordable price and can compete with AMDs fastest Radeon card, the R9 290X.
Best of all both cards are super efficient and have a relatively low power consumption. The 980 beats the R9 290X in speed and consumes approximately 100 Watts less.

There is a detailed review of both cards in the current c't magazine (23/14) on page 84
.... in German :)

Pete

Jul 16, 2012
I'm definitely not replacing my 670 any time soon, it's still very impressive to me and simply can't afford a new one any time in the next couple years. I'm an animator and film maker so i do allot of video editing and the 670 is really all i need for that the video games are just a fun extra. I read that the 670 is almost exactly on par with what the ps4 and xbox one are using, and i like to think since I have way more ram then either of those i'm totally set for a while this gen. but hot damn those new 900 series cards are mouth watering.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The 980 is the fastest card on the planet and the 970 comes at an affordable price and can compete with AMDs fastest Radeon card, the R9 290X.
Best of all both cards are super efficient and have a relatively low power consumption. The 980 beats the R9 290X in speed and consumes approximately 100 Watts less.

There is a detailed review of both cards in the current c't magazine (23/14) on page 84

The fastest AMD is currently the R9 295X2. Which is ridiculously priced, yes, but it's ridiculously fast.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

I'm not due an upgrade for another 12 months - I bought my GTX760 a year ago - so I'm kinda thinking that the 970 (or its AMD equiv - I have no loyalty issues) is around at a reasonable price by then.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I have a Radeon 7950 HD and no plans to upgrade my card either.
I was just reading the review in the magazine yesterday and was pretty amazed.
In the the article it says that the R9 290X is AMDs "flagship".
The R9 295X2 could be the dual core card I once heard of.
This is like putting two 290Xs or GTX 970s in your system.
Maybe both GPUs on the 295X2 communicate even faster than on a standard CrossFireX Bridge.
However AMDs dual core solution has an insane amount of power consumption.
And power costs are very pricey where I live. The costs increase every year.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
The R9 295X comes with a liquid cooler as standard and costs ~$1,000. Really anything listed above a 980 or a 290X is not going to be bought by users who are primarily gamers; they'll be bought by bitcoin miners who need to fold proteins or whatever at as high a rate as possible.

Got to admit, the 970 looks tempting already.

Retron

Oct 31, 2013

Either the Titan Z (the card no-one will admit to buying!) or the R9 295X2 are the fastest consumer card, not the 980. Single-chip wise, then yes, the 980 takes some beating.

However, the 980 is only based on a midrange chip. The "full fat" chip which will doubtless be in a card called the Titan II when it comes out will be far more impressive.

(Nvidia first pulled this trick with the 680, which used a midrange chip that traded blows with AMD's best. Buoyed by that, they held back the "full" fat Kepler, made a fortune selling a midrange chip at top-end prices and then, once the "must buy" crowd had splurged, they released the real high-end chip as the Titan (as opposed to the 680, which it should have been). It's a shame that worked so well for them, as it means everything's become much more expensive than it would otherwise be! There was a fair bit of outrage at the time, but this time around the reaction is far more muted.)

R

Rhandos

You'd think a depth of field filter would be a no-brainer.
In the current engine where ~10% of all users have serious AA/texture filtering problems despite turning those options on, I don't think would be.

Maybe in the new "DX11" version, but I personally wouldn't activate it.

Gozer

Jun 10, 2013
I read somewhere Farsight signed a Parity clause to do Xbox version. Not sure if I've read it right but it sounds like the Microsoft deal forced Farsight to cancel or postpone work on DX11 for PC.

About Microsoft's parity clause http://www.gamespot.com/articles/xb...nch-parity-clause-will-continue/1100-6418684/

I sincerely doubt that the lighting upgrade was canceled.

However, I do believe the lighting upgrade was delayed because of getting the Xbox One version up to snuff and out for cert ASAP. The parity clause did effect a timely release for the PC lighting upgrade in a roundabout way but not because Microsoft told Farsight to delay the upgrade. It's just a lack of staff and priorities.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts