Too Many Darn Commercials

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
ahh tv inspectors god love them, put the fear of god in one once, he attempted to get into a block of shared flats and wasnt happy with just my details so stuck his boot in the door as i tried to close it(he had no right), i was a new tennant at the time with just a laptop a cooker and a couple of beanbags. i literally had to chase him off. i aplogised to the other tennants at a meeting we had weekly andthey were all thank god because none of us have one

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
a douche bag group of guys the bbc used to hire into going door to door about a license but they never confirmed or deny a rumour these guys could detect and unlicensed tv signal(of course they couldnt but they couldlook in the window i guess) they even had detector vans...funny stuff now they are even yammering about wifi detectors

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Break.

tumblr_no3wusvwnd1tvm489o1_400.gif

End of break.

Mclong

Apr 22, 2016
I'm with you Frank. I dvr everything except live sports. The commercials are maddening. What really gets me are the ones you see over and over and over again during the same program. Many don't even make sense. There are so many car commercials around that don't tell you anything about the car. What is that all about?
I've gone to watching NFL RedZone on Sunday's. 8 hours of NFL football without a single commercial and you get to see every game that is on and they guarentee to show every score. Greatest thing ever!

NFL Redzone is the best! Last year I found the college version of Redzone called ESPN Goal Line/Buzzer beater for Saturday. Sadly it's not in HD. I can not stand commercials and I have wondered the same Frank.

Tripredacus

Sep 9, 2012
I do not watch television except for sporps. Sometimes I can be annoyed by commercials but I don't pay too close attention to them. They do not work on me.

Where I do get annoyed is for local programming. Both on MSG or radio, the amount of commercials are low. So every commercial break it is the same commercials over and over again.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I'm lucky baseball is my favorite sport. Waaaaay less commercial breaks than the NFL, and the breaks are shorter as well.

Go Cubs!

If they win the World Series, I'll weep pure tears of joy. I've been a diehard fan for as long as I can remember.

For some reason, even without cable, we were able to get WGN when I was a kid. I remember watching the Cubs, and the greatest sportscaster there ever was-Ol' Harry! There will never be another-no "it might be, it could be, it is" about it.

I remember how mad I got when, 10 years ago, Wrigley Field started selling their Ivy for ads. If you look at footage of old hockey games, look how barren the rinks looked back then. Compare to now-it seems that every inch of the ice and wall is littered with ads.

Even without commercials, there seems no escape from advertising. Remember Crazy Taxi? Remember later installments of Guitar Hero? Remember Rollergames? (FarSight-please remember Rollergames for season 6). Sorry, couldn't resist.

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
Franks right of course. In the UK commercial television pre satellite and cable was 1 channel until 1982 then a second arrived Channel 4 with a slightly different approach to commercials.

Pre 1982 roughly the same timings as SYT said for the U.S applied to UK, maybe allowing a minute or two less per hour, sometimes 10 mins of ads per hour of broadcast time.

Programmes were made with these in mind. Shows were well planned, titled and the ads were fun.

Now we get ad banners before one show ends, advertising all sorts cos the makers know we've all recorded the shows and are hovering our fingers over the fast forward button. There was an experiment from Channel 4 for an 'ad skip' function which soon stopped after I guess they realised they couldn't bite the hands that fed them.

In the Uk and I hope the US, historically ads were funny, creative. Now we get non stop insurance, mobile phone providers, lawyers. Ambulance chasing injury claim companies and other such rubbish we wouldn't give the time of day to.

If ads were still fun, we wouldn't skip over them. When did we last rewind to see what an ad was? I never have

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
At least in the UK you don't get prescription drug commercials, or, worse, political campaign ads. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss good old Party Political Broadcasts (probably because I could do just that, deliberately miss them).

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
At least in the UK you don't get prescription drug commercials, or, worse, political campaign ads. I never thought I'd say this, but I miss good old Party Political Broadcasts (probably because I could do just that, deliberately miss them).

always good to avoid those

Last edited:

Chris Dunman

Apr 11, 2012
We do get some drug ads, but they're for cough and cold remedies, stuff like that. Best ads ever made were the 70`s and 80's Martini campaigns

Johni3w6

Oct 31, 2012
I use my DVR a lot, from racing to football and shows. I also use the DVR for live events, just pause or turn the channel off at the first set of commercials and do something else for about 5-10 minutes. When I return those commercials can be skipped.

As it has been stated before in this thread, the Red Zone is awesome.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.