TPA and Widescreen monitor for Portrait Mode?

PinBalt

Apr 8, 2012
I am looking at getting a 29" Acer Widescreen monitor (2560 x 1080 resolution) to use in portrait mode only and was wondering if anyone knows if that resolution (wide monitors) will work TPA in Steam. I am typing this on a Mac so I cannot look into the software myself. New PC is on the way!

Thanks,
PinBalt

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I am looking at getting a 29" Acer Widescreen monitor (2560 x 1080 resolution) to use in portrait mode only and was wondering if anyone knows if that resolution (wide monitors) will work TPA in Steam. I am typing this on a Mac so I cannot look into the software myself. New PC is on the way!

Thanks,
PinBalt

As long as your PC can handle that resolution, sure, it should be fine.

Dedpop

Jun 3, 2014
Dedpop, what are you referring to? Check or Fold?

I suck at poker.
Just wanted to show off.
I hate myself.
Kill me.

(For technical questions, try to find someone from Mechanicsburg, PA. Thank You)

Last edited:

Robert Misner

Oct 4, 2014
we'll i use a viewsonic 27" 16:9 1920x1080p monitor in portrait no problem..I use the nvidia controls to rotate the monitor so its actually 1080x1920 then in the game launcher via steam I pick the resolution and it runs great(minus the fact camera mode 4 on some tables are really bad).
It looks to me that the game lets you pick whatever resolution is native to the display. Is the aspect ratio still a 16:9? I really want to get a 16:10 (1920x1200) and see if it looks abit better(more width displayed to the table).

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
I have issues with 1920x1080 (1.78 ratio) in portrait mode with round objects being slightly irregular-shaped. Every circular object appeared a tiny bit wider than it was tall. The amount of visual skewing depended a lot on the view used and and the table. In 1920x1200 or 1680x1050, which has a 1.6 ratio, all of the round shapes maintain perfect symmetry in portrait mode.

It could be the way my monitors and video card handle aspect ratios, but I tried on 3 separate monitors with 2 different Nvida video cards with similar results. I had a post about this several months ago with screen captures.

Something to consider with this new monitor. In full screen mode, there may be some noticeable visual stretching with a 2.37 ratio.

Edit: Found the post with the screen captures. The round objects were slightly taller than they were wide with 1920x1080 (1.78 ratio), so there could be even more stretching in full screen at 2560x1080.

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...s-or-Playfield?p=119809&viewfull=1#post119809

Last edited:

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
whats the native resolution of your display crazy newt...is it 1920x1200?

The monitors that were having an issue with the Medieval Madness 'Shoot Again' circle were all 1920x1080. A 27" ViewSonic VA2702w and a 23" Acer H233H. When I've played in portrait mode, I changed my resolution to 1680x1050 and maintained the original aspect ratio, so I have small black bars at the top and bottom of the screen, and also very thin (30 pixels) bars on the sides. It was odd that only this one indicator on this table was different. The rest of the table's round indicators seemed normal for the view perspective. And while I did not test every table and all viewing options, it was the one that was most easy to identify, since it was right in the middle of the flippers in the center of the screen.

I can't imagine it was due to the monitors. The rest of the table looked perfectly fine, and other tables that I did play seemed ok. It was just Medieval Madness in view 3 portrait mode on my monitors with an Nvidia EVGA GTX 770 video card. The issue was completely eliminated when I changed the resolution from a 1.77 ratio 1920x1080 to a 1.6 ratio 1680x1050.

I'm curious to see how this same table looks with an even wider resolution.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts