TPA - Bobby King on Spooky pinball podcast

karl

May 10, 2012
Thanks for the heads up. Looking forward to listening later today. Ear candy coming up :)

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Let me spare you all from listening to 30+ minutes of info most of us already knew!

*Stern has noticed that RBION has suddenly become more popular since the release of TPA. Noticed enough that they're having even more conversations with FarSight.

*TPA has two more kickstarters in mind, and Terminator 2 would probably be the first of those.

*We can pretty much forget about music games like Guns 'N Roses, Rolling Stones, and AC/DC. Bobby said apart from everything else, the music is just too damn expensive and they don't wanna cut songs. We're talking like 99% chance of no way in hell TPA seeing any of these.

*Certain movie studios, namely Warner Bros. and Disney, aren't exactly playing nice. They wanna sell a big chunk of licenses, not just enough for one property on a pinball simulator. Maybe somebody wants to come up with a list of which tables that affects?

*When PC becomes available, FarSight will absolutely support cabinet builds. They're quite excited about that actually.

*Discussions have been had with some of the classic designers, mainly the guys that now work for Stern, about creating original tables that would push the boundaries of reality.

*Bobby really wanted to talk about something he can't talk about. From what he seemed to be dancing around, there are licensed tables FarSight wants that the license holders would actually rather create a new table for, a sequel if you will, using the same license but created for TPA.

*Addams Family did get mentioned, but until they can absolutely figure out what the costs would be, they don't even wanna think about a kickstarter for it yet. You could tell in Bobby's voice that this license is proving to be a royal pain in securing.

That's the crux of all the new info. There's little tid bits here and there that can be gleaned from the interview, like how Taxi is so beat up from all the play it gets they need to completely shop it again, or that they're on their 4th build of the physics engine. Anyways, there ya have it.

The Doctor

Banned
May 1, 2012
Let me spare you all from listening to 30+ minutes of info most of us already knew!

*Stern has noticed that RBION has suddenly become more popular since the release of TPA. Noticed enough that they're having even more conversations with FarSight.

*TPA has two more kickstarters in mind, and Terminator 2 would probably be the first of those.

*We can pretty much forget about music games like Guns 'N Roses, Rolling Stones, and AC/DC. Bobby said apart from everything else, the music is just too damn expensive and they don't wanna cut songs. We're talking like 99% chance of no way in hell TPA seeing any of these.

*Certain movie studios, namely Warner Bros. and Disney, aren't exactly playing nice. They wanna sell a big chunk of licenses, not just enough for one property on a pinball simulator. Maybe somebody wants to come up with a list of which tables that affects?

PotC, Tron: Legacy for starters...

*Discussions have been had with some of the classic designers, mainly the guys that now work for Stern, about creating original tables that would push the boundaries of reality.

*Bobby really wanted to talk about something he can't talk about. From what he seemed to be dancing around, there are licensed tables FarSight wants that the license holders would actually rather create a new table for, a sequel if you will, using the same license but created for TPA.

Not sure how I feel about this... I'd be down with getting a sequel IF we also received the original instead.. Package them together, I don't care...

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
little tidbit: they currently have 26 tables and 4 more coming in. Assuming they kept the tables they already are selling, thats leaves a few more unconfirmed ones :)

-also Jive time wasnt supposed to be in Williams phof, but Bride of Pinbot. Thats pretty funny.

Last edited:

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
Yes, Terminator 2 should be the next KS! WHHHOOOO, great! :cool:
P.S. Why I am here? Pinballfans.com is the place for TPA fans. Just kidding! HEHE :D

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Not sure how I feel about this... I'd be down with getting a sequel IF we also received the original instead.. Package them together, I don't care...
I concur. Give me the real table first, and if someone wants to make a virtual sequel afterwards, so be it. But I'm not really interested in virtual-only tables; if I wanted that, I'd play Zen.

They really need to wait. Between FarSight's two kickstarters and Silverball's one, the pinball community has been asked to put up $515,000 in funding over the course of about 4 months. I've contributed to all three, but I'm getting a little tired of being asked for money constantly. I'm sure others are as well. There are plenty of unlicensed and minor-licensed tables to pursue that would make great additions to TPA. Get TZ and ST:TNG out the door, see how they sell, and then make a decision on further kickstarters.

I also don't think T2 is going to attract as much support as TZ and ST:TNG. It's a good table, but it's not in the same league as the other two.

Last edited:

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
I also don't think T2 is going to attract as much support as TZ and ST:TNG. It's a good table, but it's not in the same league as the other two.

totally agree. i'm sure the "Terminator" brand is more broadly popular than either, but i don't think there's as much superfan / niche / cult support for Terminator as there is for star trek and twilight zone.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Wouldn't this cover both Terminator tables? That would give us more value for a donation.

While yes, it would cover the over arching 'Terminator' brand, it wouldn't cover the different actors that appear on the table. Not familiar enough with the T3 table to know what other things are specific to that movie that would be a different license than T2, other than actor images.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Oh, I also forgot to throw in the tidbit about how certain licenses are tied up in exclusivity with another company in terms of 'video games'. Whether or not they can convince the proper authorities that while TPA is a video game, it technically is a pinball simulator and the license cannot be expanded upon beyond what was already on a table.

Again, no idea if this ties into the Disney and Warner Bros. properties, or something else. Are the Simpsons or Family Guy exclusive to EA or anything? Maybe its a reference to sports themed tables like NASCAR?

Kevlar

Feb 20, 2012
I wonder what the fourth kickstarter table is? doesn't sound like its Addams Family going by what Bobby said in the interview.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I concur. Give me the real table first, and if someone wants to make a virtual sequel afterwards, so be it. But I'm not really interested in virtual-only tables; if I wanted that, I'd play Zen.

They really need to wait. Between FarSight's two kickstarters and Silverball's one, the pinball community has been asked to put up $515,000 in funding over the course of about 4 months. I've contributed to all three, but I'm getting a little tired of being asked for money constantly. I'm sure others are as well. There are plenty of unlicensed and minor-licensed tables to pursue that would make great additions to TPA. Get TZ and ST:TNG out the door, see how they sell, and then make a decision on further kickstarters.

I agree with this, exactly on every point.

Oh, I also forgot to throw in the tidbit about how certain licenses are tied up in exclusivity with another company in terms of 'video games'. Whether or not they can convince the proper authorities that while TPA is a video game, it technically is a pinball simulator and the license cannot be expanded upon beyond what was already on a table.

Again, no idea if this ties into the Disney and Warner Bros. properties, or something else. Are the Simpsons or Family Guy exclusive to EA or anything? Maybe its a reference to sports themed tables like NASCAR?

IIRC this applie to Addams Family. I forget where I read it, and I have no idea which company has the rights. I know that makes no sense, someone somewhere is making Addams Family video games? But I swear I read that somewhere. Though as you said, it could very well be Simpsons or Family Guy. Konami might have the rights to Simpsons games, since The Simpsons Arcade is still listed on Xbox Live and PlayStation. They did Turtles years ago, and when the license expired the games (Turtles the Arcade game and Turtles in Time Remake) were taken off the service.

Warner Bros. and Disney, hmm that's Batman and Tron off the top of my head.

If Stern is looking to juice up sales of one of it's in production tables, and team up with Farsight on this, well... Transformers, X-Men, and AC/DC are the tables that are currently in production (AC/DC is out, Transformers and X-Men are both decent from what I know of them), or maybe they could do a re-print of LOTR or Indiana Jones and let Farsight do the digital version.

Last edited:

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012

Well , this would encompass Lord of the Rings and Simpsons is licensed to EA , Activision currently has a Family Guy game about to release , Family Guy : Back To the Multiverse .

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It's all so crazy! On the one hand, there seems to be this whole blanket of 'mystery' licensed games that have almost no hope of getting made. On the other hand, Bobby was really excited about certain licenses he didn't want to mention for fear of someone else realizing it a good idea and maybe stealing it away from FarSight.

I swear I have never been so interested in the goings on with a developer in my life. Stupid pinball addiction.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
Marvel comics licenses are all Disney. So iron man, spider-man, x-men and any other future tables based on marvel characters. DC comics are all under Warner plus a we of movies.

Rudy

Sep 13, 2012
On one hand this can probably explain why Pinball FX (or Zen depending on platform) didn't just create one Marvel table, they ended up with about 20 after striking the agreement.

But it looks like the same thing happened with Elvira; presumably they went in for Scared Stiff with the possibility of Party Monsters and ended up with a much better deal than they expected.

I think we'll just have to wait and see if Farsight are able to find 'combo' deals that suit them. No point in securing a certain table if they're going to have to terrible/hard to find table that will end up costing the earth.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts