Bug TPA Flipper Bug Confirmed

Sinistar

Jun 20, 2012
Hi everyone,

Hello especially Mike Rietmeyer.

You requested that someone capture the ball through the flipper bug and I have screen caps and a video of it happening. I'm currently rendering the video to upload to YouTube but in the meantime have a frame by frame capture of it happening

Screen 1:

TPA Flipper bug frame 1 by Double///A\\\Ron, on Flickr

Screen 2:

TPA Flipper Bug Frame 2 by Double///A\\\Ron, on Flickr

It almost seems that while in transition from flipper down to flipper up, there's a moment when the flipper stops being a solid object.

This was captured at 30 fps (wish i would have been using 720p/60fps for this)

Now to get the vid up on youtube

Thank you,

I had my doubts you were proving the bug, UNTIL I saw the slow mo cap , which was conclusive , that is fine work proving the bug , making a detailed report , I salute you Superballs

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
I have been playing MM quite a lot lately trying for the last goal and I now see the ball through the flipper bug on nearly an every game basis; I am playing on the PS Vita. I changed my playing style to try to get the most out of the multiballs as far as breaking gates and that is when it happens the most. I often have 2 balls cradled on one flipper and will try to shoot them up to the castle. Sometimes after the first shot I will have to quickly shoot the second ball too and that is when it will cut right through the flipper. Another case where I see this happen is when 2 balls collide above one of the flippers one of them will sometimes fall straight through. I have not experienced this on other tables to the extent that it is happening on MM, however this is probably due to the playstyle I use exclusively on MM.

phreaker47

Jul 15, 2012
I must have watched the slow-mo portion of that video about 50 times in a row just now, and yes, I'm convinced of the bug. I have had many "wtf?" moments where I could have sworn that happened, now I'm positive.

The key to determining that is seeing that the flipper was NOT flipped too early... but clearly, the ball was in striking range and should not have drained.

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
now if only we could get some hard evidence about the wonky ball to ball (multiball) collision detection that sometimes happens -> where only the 'physics' of the two balls seem to collide, so they react to eachother even though they aren't in direct contact with eachother at all :rolleyes:

BonzoGonzo

Jun 12, 2012
played black hole the other night (app 10 games in total), and the ball went through the flipper twice...

it happened on the right side, where there are two flippers -> the ball grazed the tip of the outward right flipper going up and went straight through the now raised inward right flipper.

also, on this table its really easy to spot the weird behaivour of the ball when it goes 'beneath/lower than' the flipper (where the flipper somehow manages to interact with the ball it has no contact with), becouse the two flippers are besides eachother on the right side... so when you try to capture the ball on the right lower/inward flipper, it gets 'hit' by the higher/outward flipper pretty much everytime...

(wish i had some sort of capturing device so i can show you guys what i'm talking about... same goes for the aforementioned multiball weirdness)

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I'm pretty sure I've experienced most if not all of the issues I've read in this thread, but I wanted to add one to the conversation, and that is - I could be wrong, but I really feel like during multiball when there are more than two balls in the vicinity of the flippers, they (the flippers) really seem to slow down, in response time. I suppose it could all be in my head, though I really doubt it, but especially on MM, CV, and TOM, I have noticed this and found it frustrating, and unrealistic.

Apologies if others have previously mentioned this, I skimmed the thread, more than read it.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I'm pretty sure I've experienced most if not all of the issues I've read in this thread, but I wanted to add one to the conversation, and that is - I could be wrong, but I really feel like during multiball when there are more than two balls in the vicinity of the flippers, they (the flippers) really seem to slow down, in response time. I suppose it could all be in my head, though I really doubt it, but especially on MM, CV, and TOM, I have noticed this and found it frustrating, and unrealistic.

Apologies if others have previously mentioned this, I skimmed the thread, more than read it.

Havent experience anything of the sorts.

aguy

Aug 3, 2012
This is something we've been working on (and improving) since the original Gottlieb collection.

Thank you for posting on this issue! I love it when a company can explain the technical engineering obstacles your team faces when designing such an ambitious simulator.

It appears to show up in the latest Table Pack #5 preview video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXq9mY4rXcs&hd=1&t=1m32s

The issue occurs at approximately 1:32.8 as the ball falls into the right inlane and down to the right flipper. Can anyone confirm that this is indeed the same bug everyone is experiencing in this thread?

Also, is this issue similar to the bug when the ball simply passes through the flipper at a more perpendicular angle as it happens in the Black Hole? I've suffered from both issues on all tables and it really is annoying. The game could be *great* and instead this bug is really holding the game back. I do love the work you guys are doing though and put in $100 on the first kickstarter. I just really hope you guys can improve the game enough by the time the PC version comes out!

Also

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Mike, any progress on this? It seems to happen to me just about every game on the 360.
Yeah, I'm starting to see it more often as well. Not sure if it's actually happening more often, or if I've just improved my skills enough that I'm more confident blaming the flippers, rather than their operator. :p

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Yeah, I'm starting to see it more often as well. Not sure if it's actually happening more often, or if I've just improved my skills enough that I'm more confident blaming the flippers, rather than their operator. :p

Heh, good call.

I've put way more time into the iOS and PS3 versions, and rarely noticed it, but maybe it's more noticeable on 360 due to the responsive controls? I dunno, but I do know that it is happening almost every game for me on 360.

Gordon

May 28, 2012
I have 1 from +-10 games the bug on 360 :-( when i fast change left and right flip. I hope FS can repair this.

Dutch Pinball ball

May 5, 2012
I have it on IOS ipad 3.

Often when i try to save an almost straight to the middle drain by the tips of my flippers. When i save with right it goes trhough left flipper and vice versa. (when you do a fast right - left combi, or other way around)

I think the tip of the flippers have some problem with ghosting.

I hardly see a pinball go through the middle of the flipper. It happens, but not a problem cause its very rare. The tipsavers are, cause they are often a differance between a good and a bad game.

(i hope i explained good enough in English)

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
I know it's been said, but this is a major problem with the lower playfield of Black Hole, and where I first noticed the bug myself.

Members online

Members online