TPA on the PS4 - First Impressions

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but AFM's Strobe Multiball just turns off the GI and flashes a couple of the flashers now and then. No real strobe affect. Darn. :( Otherwise, the light show on this table is excellent as are all the others I've played so far.

Dumahim

Apr 23, 2012
Compressed sounds like a good way to describe it. I was never quite happy with the sound in TPA even back on the PS3. Some tables had great sound and could really provide some kick. Hell, even the knocker sound is rather sad in the game. Now it all feels even weaker than before.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
Well, the sound the ball makes when it knocks into things is way better than on the PS3; heck, I'm not even sure it makes a standard collision sound at all on PS3--anyway if it does its really quiet by comparison.

Wikipedia Brown

Apr 2, 2013
There's no Friends filter for the leaderboards in this version. It's just "Overall" and "My Score." What gives?

edit: as long as I'm complaining about stuff, are they serious with still having that tinny-sounding low bit-rate guitar track play when you first load the game? It makes the whole package feel like a piece of shovelware immediately, and first impressions are super important now that the base product is free, acting essentially as a demo.

Also, that front-end UI... I know it's getting an overhaul at some point, but still. Holy Moley. The whole package feels like something that should have come free with a CD-ROM drive in 1993 (until you get to the awesome pinball part, of course). Farsight is so good at pinball, but the other bits desperately need to be elevated.

Moving to a new console generation would have been the perfect time to step it up; they could have made such a better impression out of the gate.

Last edited:

Vince

Nov 7, 2013
I have to wait until tonight, but I just read something that it's hard for me to believe. I just read that the flippers are only on the shoulder buttons and can't be set to R2 and L2! How could it be that on the PS3, the 360, and the PC using a controller, that the triggers can be mapped, as that is very clearly an option that some would want right; but here on the PS4 FS have somehow 'forgotten' or perhaps it just slipped by the rigorous in-house testing.

It's amazing to me: the company stumble up to the repeatedly delayed release in Clouseau-esque fashion, blaming all around for the putting up pricing obstacles, and what do we find at release: they forgot to consider the pinball controls.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
g`day mates !!! yahoo just got table pack 1. tried the 3 light settings, leaves my ps3 ,xbox 360 for dead !!! ps4 is MICKEY MOUSE !!! :cool:

Sir_LANs-a-lot

Jun 1, 2012
Dark room setting: Lovely

Needs the triggers patched in sooner rather than later though FarSight.

£23.99 for 22 pinball tables represents excellent value for money.

Good job guys.

Sort those triggers out though... ;)

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
So here I sit trying to figure out why I wasn't offered the pro pack discount. Something that should have been done on the "other" end. But hey, leave it up to the users to figure the stuff out. Once again. FS trying to do right leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Why block anybody from the pro discount in the first place?
I at least expect my TZ and STTNG tables to get pro and their extra balls at the minimum. Those are supposed to be included for Kickstarter backers at the $100 level, or am I wrong on that?
I do love the tables,. Hard to tell through all the frustration. Typical FS transaction.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
My impressions?
I have LAG. :mad:
posted about it and my "discounted" purchasing experience (no problems) in the "PS4 pricing and discount thread" thread.

The lighting's nice, the rest is the same as it ever was...

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I have to wait until tonight, but I just read something that it's hard for me to believe. I just read that the flippers are only on the shoulder buttons and can't be set to R2 and L2! How could it be that on the PS3, the 360, and the PC using a controller, that the triggers can be mapped, as that is very clearly an option that some would want right; but here on the PS4 FS have somehow 'forgotten' or perhaps it just slipped by the rigorous in-house testing.

It's amazing to me: the company stumble up to the repeatedly delayed release in Clouseau-esque fashion, blaming all around for the putting up pricing obstacles, and what do we find at release: they forgot to consider the pinball controls.

Dark room setting: Lovely

Needs the triggers patched in sooner rather than later though FarSight.

£23.99 for 22 pinball tables represents excellent value for money.

Good job guys.

Sort those triggers out though... ;)

::

FarSight says flipper remapping will be available two patches from now.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
There's no Friends filter for the leaderboards in this version. It's just "Overall" and "My Score." What gives?

I saw someone mention this on Facebook. It's something I neglected to check; if they're really missing then that's definitely a step backwards; seems like it would have to be a bug or oversight, I can't think of any reason why they'd remove the feature on purpose...unless maybe Friends lists work differently on the PS4 and they couldn't figure them out : o. Anyway if you're on FB I definitely urge you to add your voice to that thread.

Wikipedia Brown

Apr 2, 2013
I saw someone mention this on Facebook. It's something I neglected to check; if they're really missing then that's definitely a step backwards; seems like it would have to be a bug or oversight, I can't think of any reason why they'd remove the feature on purpose...unless maybe Friends lists work differently on the PS4 and they couldn't figure them out : o. Anyway if you're on FB I definitely urge you to add your voice to that thread.

Done, thanks for the link. :)

I know some PS4 games have been experiencing issues because of the increase in the friend cap to 2000 on PSN, so maybe it requires some recoding because of that, and they couldn't get it working in time. Judging by the problems cropping up, I'm going to guess it was a late change on Sony's part that caught people off guard.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
don`t worry we are in the same boat , bought every table available on ps3 xbox 360 and my Samsung note. I didn`t mind missing out on the discount,ps4 leaves the others for dead !!! we can all throw our old consoles down a dunny, because that's were they belong once you play ps4 and xbox 1 !!! :eek:

Dec 7, 2013
My impressions?
I have LAG. :mad:
posted about it and my "discounted" purchasing experience (no problems) in the "PS4 pricing and discount thread" thread.

The lighting's nice, the rest is the same as it ever was...

Go into your TV and turn off Dynamic range, any kind of post processing period. Some sets just lag with gaming.

I disagree though with your post. Every table is incredibly polished. Cirqus Voltaire is vastly improved over the PS3 and 360, dare I say perfect now. I also occasionally get bugs with the IOS version of Twilight Zone and Star Trek, haven't experienced anything like that on Ps4. This version, IMO, is perfect. All it needs is the Audio fixed, which is a simple patch.

I love the lighting. Attack From Mars looks like the real machine, but I am slightly bummed they still pulsing figure out a cool solution for Strobe Multiball. The light shows of these tables add an entirely new element to the appreciation I have for them and this game. PS4 is just the way to go right now, the machines are so polished too coming from Xbox 360 and PS3 it's a huge jump, and worth every penny of 30$. I almost would feel guilty if I had the option for the discount.

And if you look at early PS4 footage or even the PS4 demo released last month you can tell just how improved it's gotten since then. They really went the extra mile with the PS4 release. Thank you to any employees who may read this post. Just fantastic work guys and I really hope it's a hit with the broader PS4 community. Best wishes, merry Christmas, and THANK YOU.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.