Truly terrible tables

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Popeye might be a horribly playing table, but at least the Youssi playfield art looks very nice. Well, as nice as you can make a Popeye themed table look, I always hated that guy, and the original voice is even more abrasive.

Spy Hunter looks absolutely disgusting, however. Maybe they thought they were clever when they moved the lower flippers off center, but man, that is one of the basic things you shouldn´t screw around with.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Spy Hunter looks absolutely disgusting, however. Maybe they thought they were clever when they moved the lower flippers off center, but man, that is one of the basic things you shouldn´t screw around with.

Myea, I think that falls under category "lets try something new and clever"

mmmagnetic

May 29, 2012
Does anybody remember the name of that one (I think EM) table that had two sets of flippers stacked on top of each other?

I think there was a PAPA video of it, when the flippers were lowered the formed two diagonal inclines, but when you flipped, the ball could fall into the spaces between the upper and the lower flippers. Basically, you couldn´t trap the ball at all.

Last edited:

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Does anybody remember the name of that one (I think EM) table that had two sets of flippers stacked on top of each other?

I think there was a PAPA video of it, when the flippers were lowered the formed two diagonal inclines, but when you flipped, the ball could fall into the spaces between the upper and the lower flippers. Basically, you couldn´t trap the ball at all.

The four-flipper version of Paragon had a gap with no wireform to stop the ball between the top and bottom flippers on the right. If you tried to trap the ball on the lower flipper, it'd drain. According to IPDB there was a three-flipper version made specifically because people in the Italian market complained about this; the more standard arrangement we know and love was referred to as the "Italian bottom".

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I've seen Southpark and Austin Powers get ripped in a few different forums. But I've never played either one.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
Yeah. Austin Powers was pretty bad. I'll forgive it though, as I would like to think it lead to Stern making far better machines soon after.

Richard B

Apr 7, 2012

Q*Bert's Quest?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
The first simpsons when it came out was AWSOME! That was a long time ago and the show was more popular and the surrounding machines wernt MM or CV and it was made by DATA EAST? with its sounds from the show to the nuclear cooling tower pop bumpers it was fun,mind you I was a kid and rules or top scores didnt matter just toys,lights and noises.

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012

I recall that Harlem Globetrotters has two flippers on the left side that prevents trapping as you have described.

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
The tables I've hated the most, I don't necessarily know if the problem is a design problem or if it's just that the particular one I'm playing is in poor shape.

For instance, one of the tables at Funspot is a 1970s Gottlieb EM called Sky Kings, which has a big saucer at the top you can plunge the ball into that gives a big award. When the saucer kicks out the ball, though, it drops straight down the middle (through the spinner) to a center drain 100% of the time, and nudging all the way to a tilt seems to make no difference at all.

From reading IPDB reviews of this table, though, I gather that the ball does this some of the time but not completely consistently. So it's possible that the kicker on Funspot's table is just weak, or something (as stated in other threads here, their maintenance isn't the most fanatical).

szycag

Apr 19, 2012
I edited the OP to list all the games off you guys brought up. Keep em comin if you have anymore!

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I quite like South Park, nostalgic funny and a good license...not a bad layout, to be honest I don't see it as being too too much different in gameplay to MM (hit ramp over and over again to acheive objective, just on a timer and one at a time).

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.