Two stage flippers poll

What do you think of the two stage flippers?

• I hate it and would love to have the option to turn it off!!

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • I love it and find it adds to the realism of the game.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I don't even notice it.

Votes: 11 16.2%

• Total voters

Crush3d_Turtle

May 15, 2012
After playing TPA on the PS3 for the first time in months, the two stage flippers (at least on Funhouse) are just plain awful. Half the time I think I am pressing the L1 button all the way down but the upper flipper does not fire. It is really strange and annoying to have to press that hard to get the flipper to activate. This either needs to be tweaked or have an option to be turned off since this is truly detrimental to gameplay.

pinbot-76

Jul 11, 2012
TPA should definitely create a setting to turn the dual stage flippers off. For me BK is unplayable... and that's a poor design when the table they created 3 years ago beats what they're putting out today.

I've got a pinball machine with dual stage flippers. These can help you play more strategically during multi-ball. They don't require that you mash the button in order to activate both flippers though. In fact you need to use a lot of finesse in order to properly use them.

Last edited:

PiN WiZ

Mod & Forum Superstar
Staff member
Feb 22, 2012
Just had a crack at the two stage flippers on my new PS3 (using the L2 and R2 triggers) this past weekend and I have to say, I for one, like them and can't wait to use them on the Xbox 360. The two stage flippers work wonders if you know how to use them properly.

However, I do agree that there should be an option to toggle the two stage flippers on/off since many casual pinball players may not know how to use this feature properly right off the bat, causing more frustration than enjoyment on tables that use this feature.

Oct 22, 2012
Forgive my ignorance here, but what exactly are two stage flippers and why could it be a good feature for some? From what I'm reading it sounds like you have to push the buttons harder to activate the upper flippers, but I'm getting there is more to it than that because I can't think of any situation where that would be an advantage for anything.

I played the hell out of PBHoF, and lately just got PA on the PS3 / Vita and went straight to Funhouse. I actually thought the table was bugged because the top flipper was not working most of the time, I had no idea it was due to me not pushing the buttons hard enough.

But yeah, without really understanding what it is, I'd love a feature to have it off, and make it work like it did on PBHoF.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Forgive my ignorance here, but what exactly are two stage flippers and why could it be a good feature for some? From what I'm reading it sounds like you have to push the buttons harder to activate the upper flippers, but I'm getting there is more to it than that because I can't think of any situation where that would be an advantage for anything.

I played the hell out of PBHoF, and lately just got PA on the PS3 / Vita and went straight to Funhouse. I actually thought the table was bugged because the top flipper was not working most of the time, I had no idea it was due to me not pushing the buttons hard enough.

But yeah, without really understanding what it is, I'd love a feature to have it off, and make it work like it did on PBHoF.

Check here:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showthread.php/1841-2-Stage-Flippers

And here:

http://digitalpinballfans.com/showt...-flipper-control-on-games-with-upper-flippers

Oct 22, 2012
Right many thanks, now I understand, to make some shots to the upper table easier, and I guess for multiball games where you don't want the top flipper to affect balls higher up.

Ballpin

Sep 13, 2012
Anything happening with this? It would be an easy fix to just have it as an option and make everyone happy.

ROTTEN

Jun 27, 2012
Bumping this thread due to TZ. TZ makes me wish we had the option to turn it off more than any other table yet.

Dinosaur Toy

Sep 10, 2012
I agree: there should be an option to turn them off due to the nature of the PS pad buttons. It can be very uncomfortable and feel like input latency. Obviously the option should be there for experienced players, but it makes it frustrating and uncomfortable to merely learn the table, worrying about having a death grip on the controller.

And Twilight Zone is particularly uncomfortable on the PS3 pad due to this.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I think a lot has to do with the controller as well. I just had to buy a new controller, and the now the buttons are much stiffer. I really have to jam the buttons or else there is a slight delay when the the upper flipper flips. After one or two games, my finger hurts.

EvanBingham

Aug 19, 2012
I love the 2 stage flippers...took a couple games to get used to but it's helped me with multiballs especially on pins irl

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Is this just a PS3 issue?

I think the PS3 is the only system that has the two stage flippers. You can't have them on the touch screens and Mac computers don't have analog keys. I'm assuming Xbox will get them once they start publishing to them again.

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I voted for "love it" but I still want the option to disable it :)

I didn't vote since none of the options reflect my opinion on them. If there was an option for "I like them on some tables but would still like the option to turn them off" or something similar I would have voted for that.

Byte

Nov 11, 2012
Agreed with option to disable just because it's awkward with the standard PS3 controller's L1/R1 buttons. Haven't tried switching to L2/R2 yet in TZ, perhaps some way of setting sensitivity there, where you can then set both at the same value? I'd like that if you can set both at hair-trigger so slight tap of the button activates. Or slight tap activates bottom and little push-through the top flippers (still a long way from fully depressing the L2/R2 buttons!)

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I use the L2/R2 triggers on the PS3 just because doing so makes the controller sit more comfortably in my hands for long sessions (so no cramping). I think the L2/R2 having a wider range between pressed and unpressed does make it easier to tell the difference between where the main flippers and the upper flippers activate. I guess the trade-off though is that takes just a little longer for your finger to press the button in that far.

Edan-Grossman

Jan 19, 2013
I liked the idea of 2 stage flippers on the ps3 by using the pressure sensitive button feature, but I would still like to have the option to turn it off, because I found it difficult to get used to. Needing the extra pressure to activate those flippers delays the reaction time significantly for me.

It would be cool if we could adjust the sensitivity, but at the very least we should have the ability to turn it off altogether.

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
I don't mind them, but an option to turn them off would be nice. More options the better as long as they don't come with a price tag.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.