Underrated Pins Thread (videos)

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Deep down inside don't we all have a soft spot for the underdog? Well that is what this thread is for. Share a video of an underdog pin. A pin that maybe wasnt produced in large numbers, had a theme that made it unpopular, has been forgotten by time, or maybe just a guilty pleasure pin of yours. Share a video of a pin you think needs more love.

I'll start it off with Road Kings. This Williams pin came out in 1986. They made 5,500 of them so it isn't rare, but you still don't see it very often. It has a Mad Max type motorcycle theme with a cool backglass. Has pretty cool sound and multiball. But what makes this game for me are the ramps. Check it out.

Mayuh

Sep 2, 2012
Come on, police force? 3 inches wide entrance to a ramp you can easily hit 50 times... Like a constant heart ramp shot on Bride, but without the nice sound effects :)

Good thing, this pin is not in tournaments that often...

I pick Atlantis from Bally. Awesome machine, with one of the most satisfying jackpot shots, on a really cool wire ramp - C shaped. When you make the shot, the ball almost instantly goes in the opposite direction (at 2:40) ;)

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Some nice choices. I think the only thing holding these pins back is that most people haven't played them.

atlantis1982

Nov 23, 2012
Judging how most people on the forum react, I would think the underdog is anything from the late 70s to the mid 80s. Those machines has as much charm as any DMD table. :\

darkrage6

Oct 20, 2013
I would have to say Barb Wire, the last Gottlieb table ever made. There's only two videos of it on Youtube, it didn't even crack the top 300 on IPDB and only around 1,000 were ever produced. Which is a real shame because I had a blast playing it.

darkrage6

Oct 20, 2013
I think DM looks pretty good, but to each his own I suppose. Judge Dredd seems to get some mixed reactions but I quite like that one.

N

netizen

The power of the Hoff and Pam probably keeps this machine from getting played

h/t to Baron Rubrik

Punisher

Jan 5, 2013

Dunno if this can be considered an unsung hero, but Canister Multiball is amazingly fun and frantic. Mind my horrid voice, this is a nice table.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Road Kings is the epitome of awesome 80s testosterone-pinball cheese. Not a terrible game either. Loves me some Atlantis too.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
The thing is, High Speed doesn't do much that Getaway doesn't also do.
It's the other way around... which is why it's underrated. Hell, I was underrating it too before I got my own and grew to appreciate it more.

Which I think is why you see people in the industry (like Lawlor) praise it highly but your regular players and people who haven't been in the hobby for years tend to err more on the side of HSII purely because it was around when they were.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I realise that High Speed was a milestone when it was created, and basically introduced the concepts that would eventually draw me into pinball many years later. But tell me, what do you get from High Speed than The Getaway doesn't give?

On The Getaway you have the awesome gear system where you build up the speedometer five times, with increasing awards each time, that is one of my favourite aspects of the table. Supercharger mode and Redline Mania are great goals to go for.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Here is Road Kings 2.0 with new rules and a DMD added. Appears to be the same Dutch Pinball guys that did the cool Bride of Pinbot 2.0 conversion.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts