Upcoming DE/Stern Tables?

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
The rumors say that the next two tables are Metallica and JJ Abrams Star Trek and I can't imagine that they'd be able to land either.

I don't know where the rumors come from, or how much salt with which to take them, but Metallica could be a cool table theme, and I've been hoping Stern or JJP would do a new Star Trek table:D

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
To quote myself from the other now-locked thread, based on Stern's interview:

Would there even be a chance that a license acquired for a brand new Stern table could be secured for both the physical and a digital version created shortly afterwards? That could save FS a lot of woes.

I asked about this very thing, and it was one of the few things I got zero response to other than a "we are having many discussions with Stern" and maybe a slight twitch of a smile. I think it'd be one of the coolest things FS could announce if they pull off something major like this. Fingers crossed.

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
I asked about this very thing, and it was one of the few things I got zero response to other than a "we are having many discussions with Stern" and maybe a slight twitch of a smile. I think it'd be one of the coolest things FS could announce if they pull off something major like this. Fingers crossed.

To emulate anything they would probably need as much input as they can get for the emulation of newer tables. They have stated it is not currently emulated and they could use tips and pointers to optimize the emulation just to get it running at an acceptable speed. Anything Stern could do to help acquire licenses would be really great though. From what Stern has said, they have difficulty getting rights to many of the tables they put out to begin with so streamlining the process to allow for digital recreations would be about the biggest boost Farsight could possibly get in license acquisition. I hope that's what they are going for.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I'm a poker player, so I would like to play Sterns World Poker Tour (Designed by Steve Ritchie! .... and Keith P. Johnson)

Don't know much about RollerCoaster Tycoon but the table looks awesome!

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Great find PS Garek, after watching that to me definitely sounds like RC and TFTC are on the way. Interesting that the values of old games have gone up since being on TPA and glad that he approves of TPA and Farsight, should make future licensing easier hopefully for Stern Tables.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
Would love to see TFTC in TPA. Data East's best effort in my opinion, and bar none one of my favorite pinball licenses. RCT is nothing special.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
I don't know where the rumors come from, or how much salt with which to take them, but Metallica could be a cool table theme, and I've been hoping Stern or JJP would do a new Star Trek table:D

There was an earthshaker table that was modded into a Metallica table which was pretty slick. I'm not the biggest Metallica fan, but would like to see that happen.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Wait Rollercoaster Tycoon is bad? Isn't that a Pat Lawlor design? How could it be bad? Or am I mistaken?

Speaking of Lawlor designs, I like Monopoly. Granted, the machine I played was busted, but I love the board game Monopoly and I thought the table was very unique. I can't speak for the ruleset really, as I said this thing was dirty as hell and barely working, but I saw potential there. And my buddy, even on this busted machine was tearing it up. It's an early 2000's Stern too, no emulation problems.

Tales from the Crypt pretty much confirmed, makes sense for next years Haloween themed table.

Last edited:

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Wait Rollercoaster Tycoon is bad? Isn't that a Pat Lawlor design? How could it be bad? Or am I mistaken?
In general, Pat Lawlor's 20th century tables are much better than his 21st century tables. There are a few exceptions (Family Guy being first among them), but his later tables are generally considered to be pale shadows of his Whirlwind / FunHouse / Addams Family / Twilight Zone / Road Show glory days. This may be primarily due to pinball being far more popular in the early 90s, so he wasn't as constrained by cost-saving measures and limitations back then.

I still would have liked to see what he would have come up with for Silverball Studios had their original kickstarter succeeded. And if Sin turns out to be even half as good as Twilight Zone, I'll consider myself to have succeeded.

SpiffyRob

May 5, 2012
In general, Pat Lawlor's 20th century tables are much better than his 21st century tables. There are a few exceptions (Family Guy being first among them

RBION is a close second, if not matching/beating Family Guy. But yeah, after that, they do fall off a bit, at least in terms of the general perception (I really enjoy NASCAR/Grand Prix, FWIW.)

Bass Mummy

Jul 26, 2012
I would love to see TFTC on TPA, but I'm not willing to place too much stock in something like this. I'd love to be wrong.

PS Garek

Dec 25, 2012
RBION is a close second, if not matching/beating Family Guy. But yeah, after that, they do fall off a bit, at least in terms of the general perception (I really enjoy NASCAR/Grand Prix, FWIW.)

I was surprised when I recently found a NASCAR table and really enjoyed myself. It doesn't have a great reputation. I wonder if PA will get that with the Grand Prix labeling.

I think the problem with Stern era Lawlor tables is that Lawlor's BW tables generally have a lot of neat toys on them, like Rudy's head, Thing's hand, the multiple spinning discs and fan in Whirlwind, and all the crazy stuff that fills the Twilight Zone. Stern doesn't have the budget for that stuff, and his tables suffer for it. Family Guy is pretty popular, but it also has a pretty awesome toy.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
I was surprised when I recently found a NASCAR table and really enjoyed myself. It doesn't have a great reputation. I wonder if PA will get that with the Grand Prix labeling.

I think the problem with Stern era Lawlor tables is that Lawlor's BW tables generally have a lot of neat toys on them, like Rudy's head, Thing's hand, the multiple spinning discs and fan in Whirlwind, and all the crazy stuff that fills the Twilight Zone. Stern doesn't have the budget for that stuff, and his tables suffer for it. Family Guy is pretty popular, but it also has a pretty awesome toy.

Nascar/GP is a solid table that I wouldn't mind seeing in TPA, and I'd prefer it as GP - save the license, and the car toy is better than the one in the Nascar version.

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
BigBangBar is a Data East table right? I would love to see this one as even owning it in real life is problematic unless your independently wealthy. The theme is generic although the subject matter is about adult at times, so licensing shouldn't be a big problem.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
It's a Capcom table. I don't think that should keep FS back, though. We're a lot of people who want to play Big Bang Bar! :)

noneed4me2

Feb 2, 2013
It's a Capcom table. I don't think that should keep FS back, though. We're a lot of people who want to play Big Bang Bar! :)

I forgot Capcom made pins, any other ones by them of note? I would love to see TFTC as I love the dark/comedic themed tables. Broke down and got Scared Stiff late last night. Almost completed all the standard goals in one game. I didn't know diddly crap about rules and wizard modes till I got back into playing pins with TPA. In the past it was always about keeping the ball alive for as long as possible and the free replay. There is so much more depth to these games than I ever realized.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012

Speaking of Lawlor designs, I like Monopoly. Granted, the machine I played was busted, but I love the board game Monopoly and I thought the table was very unique. I can't speak for the ruleset really, as I said this thing was dirty as hell and barely working, but I saw potential there. And my buddy, even on this busted machine was tearing it up. It's an early 2000's Stern too, no emulation problems.

There is a Roller Coaster Tycoon and monopoly in Golfland in Mesa AZ. Interesting tables... Both of them. They were in pretty decent shape. RCT was pretty unique with varying modes and the abundance of ramp shots. Monopoly seemed interesting only because opening the bank is part of the various modes and that is a direct shot to the center targets that can lead to drains down the middle.

I was primarily focused on the Spiderman table they had. I don't think roller Coaster and Monopoly are bad they just don't grab you like Spiderman and others that are out there.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Kingpin is far and away my favorite Capcom table, but it's unfortunately also the rarest and least likely to make it.

The only Cap I haven't played is Airborne. I had an opportunity to play it once, but it looked like too much of a jumbled mess to me, so I passed on it.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts