Viewing angle question

CmputrBlu

Jun 30, 2012
Sorry if this has been asked and answered before; but is there a reason why the views aren't consistent across all the tables. For example view #2 on Space Shuttle places the "player eye" higher than it does on Black Rose. Is it because the view was changed slightly on the new tables for newer screen aspect ratios? Just wondering.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
They probably adjust them per table for optimum viewing of that table's layout. But it seems they can be very different for the same camera number sometimes.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
I guess as much too, but surely they should be based on authenticity first and foremost?

If I'm playing in portrait especially, I want the angle to be as correct as possible for how the table would look at angle I am looking at the screen. I think for cabinet mode they REALLY are going to need to allow a custom camera angle and zoom level.

Crazy Newt

Dec 2, 2012
The best solution for me would be to have a custom camera setting saved for each table that could be zoomed, panned, and tilted to my personal satisfaction. If I want to play looking straight down with my nose against the glass between the flippers, so be it. I don't know why this is not possible. This would allow everyone to select a viewing angle more appropriate to their own playing style and height, within reason.

Roo

Jul 5, 2013
I guess as much too, but surely they should be based on authenticity first and foremost?

If I'm playing in portrait especially, I want the angle to be as correct as possible for how the table would look at angle I am looking at the screen. I think for cabinet mode they REALLY are going to need to allow a custom camera angle and zoom level.

Well, it would depend how tall you are and how you stand. Think of the current/regular portrait mode as landscape mode, but rotated. I'm sure the camera works basically the same way. I don't think it will necessarily line up with what you see when standing at a real machine. The cabinet mode should, though.

I actually don't think you need any customization in cabinet mode; the virtual playfield should just "fit" inside the monitor perfectly. Unless they want to get advanced and allow you to input your height or something in order to adjust the angle.

The best solution for me would be to have a custom camera setting saved for each table that could be zoomed, panned, and tilted to my personal satisfaction. If I want to play looking straight down with my nose against the glass between the flippers, so be it. I don't know why this is not possible. This would allow everyone to select a viewing angle more appropriate to their own playing style and height, within reason.

Agreed. I don't know about custom dynamic panning/zooming, but it certainly seems like it wouldn't be too hard to allow custom static camera angles. It would solve a lot of these types of complaints.

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
On my cabinet I have been playing most tables with view 4. I have to adjust it for some tables, Flight 2000 for one. I think I play that on view 3 because view 4 doesn't show the out lanes and it makes it impossible for me to play like that.

I hope they have a view that is more like VP tables eventually. They are making progress though. I am really enjoying playing TPA on my cabinet. The ONLY way to play if you really want to come close to the true pinball experience without owning the actual tables. Keep them coming.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I always play in the highest camera angle and I have also wondered why they don't appear to be the same height for all tables - on bop or mm they appear to be quite a bit higher than on say bk2k.
I'm hoping for a manual camera some day but until now it would be great to have a few more heights just the way they are now... or just allow to adjust the height (in smaller steps) along the curve the camera follows with "+" and "-" keys for example from really low to pretty high.

keithmoon

Dec 17, 2013
Exactly! And almost every table looks different from the default camera positions. Specially in the 1st and 2nd (low angle) positions.

Last edited:

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
I thought this thread could be revived, as I still have the same issue.

It just makes little sense to me, as all pinball machines have more or less the same size, so camera settings should be the same too.
Sure you can optimize the viewpoint for some tables layout, but the diferences should't be that drastic.

I also think this would qualify as a BUG, because for some tables it's quite the show stopper.
On Moster Bash the flippers are huuuuge, lower playfield is cut off and the upper part of the table is completely obscured by the DMD.
Black Rose instead is fine. I see the whole playfield and the DMD. That's how it should be for all tables.

It would be great if someone at FS (Mike?) could just respond if it is meant to be that way or if it is a BUG (mix up of camera coordinates).
Some weeks ago a quite similar camera problem was fixed for some tables (some ps4 code went into the pc version), but it was only related to attract mode and plunger cam.
Maybe it's only in Portrait mode, I don't know. (We really need propper cab views)

I'll ad some screenshots of Black Rose and Monster Bash if I can manage. cam view 2 shows the difference pretty clearly.

(You can also notice the blurriness of the MB table compared to season 3 standards. Hard to read text on playfield. But this is for another thread.)

esysyzas.jpg

3aqutube.jpg

Last edited:

lio

Jul 24, 2013
The absolute best way of camera control I have seen so far is in the current alpha version of "Unit3D Pinball" - I wish the TPA guys would take that as an example :)
Basically you get 3 on-screen sliders where one controls the distance of the camera to the backbox, the next raises/lowers the camera position and the third changes the position of the point on the playfield the camera looks at - very easy, quick and satisfying.
For the swaying camera type you get a fourth slider that defines a second point on the playfield so the camera sways between the lower and higher defined positions depending on where the ball is on the playfield.
( http://www.unit3dpinball.net/index.php?pa=userdoc - look for "camera editor" )
There are rolling camera modes as well but I don't care for those... I only like static or swaying.
You can easily set up a total overhead view or even zoom out so you can see the entire game including the backbox.

lio

Jul 24, 2013
I uploaded a little video demonstrating the camera settings in Unit3D Pinball - the point of the video is only to show the easy setup with the 3 sliders and nothing else.
The table shown has not been created by me nor do I have anything to do with the Unit3D project, I just love how intuitive and powerful their camera solution is.
http://youtu.be/5rE2zIE0OpU

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
+1
Was suggesting the same thing in some other threads. Glad there are others out there who see it that way. It maybe not an easy thing to do, but it is the only right way to do it.
Why do we have a fully 3d real time rendered table then? Please make the possibilities available for those of us who can use em.

But for a start it would be great if there was some consistency in the views and no dmd would obscure half of the playfield.

Last edited:

Jim O'Brien

Feb 28, 2012
Future Pinball also has great camera angles my favorite being the one that allows you an apron view then you select manual view to bring the table closer to you. Something similar on TPA would be fantastic.

Alex Atkin UK

Sep 26, 2012
Just another vote for more camera control. There is definitely a case where some tables none of the angles feel quite right, especially in portrait.

JPelter

Jun 11, 2012
Just another vote for more camera control. There is definitely a case where some tables none of the angles feel quite right, especially in portrait.

I haven't had trouble with too many of them, but more options are always nice. Haunted House is a bit irritating since you can't see the flippers on the lower playfield with the best top down view on portrait.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
FS, if you ever plan to improve this, please don't go for cam 5 and 6. Just give us a full control option.

N

netizen

I would just be happy if the camera angles, both plunge and playfield, were consistent across all the tables, and then across all platforms.

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
I would just be happy if the camera angles, both plunge and playfield, were consistent across all the tables, and then across all platforms.

Although consistency is good there are good views and bad views across all the tables and I would worry they would choose a bad view. Much better would be to have the ability to create a lockable customised view per table. I would create a cabinet friendly view Where the size of the ball appears the size of a real pinball on a 42" monitor. This can be achieved with the correct angle of the camera above the table and zoom factor. Nothing could be worse than a view where the Pinball appears marble sized.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts