Request Vintage pinballs (1930s to 1950s)

cc89

Mar 19, 2017
Not sure if this would be possible, but I'd love to see some of the more vintage EMs (1930s - 50s), most notably the Gottlieb woodrail machines.

Examples include:

Ace High (Gottlieb 1957)
Humpty Dumpty (Gottlieb 1947)
Spot Bowler (Gottlieb 1950)
3-D (Williams 1958)
Baffle Ball (Gottlieb 1931)
Marble Queen (Gottlieb 1953)
Gusher (Williams 1958)
Balls-A-Poppin (Bally 1956)
Bumper (Bally 1936)

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
well farsight did do aces high and balls a poppin inprevious collections soanythings possible if alittle unlikely

soundwave106

Nov 6, 2013
Pre-flipper pinball is really more of a game of chance. Farsight *did* do one of those (Gottlieb's "Play-Boy") in the Gottlieb collection as a kind of a "bonus" table, but it's not something you play often.

The play style for many 1950s-1960s games is just... well, different. Ball times are a lot shorter; nudging (which is hard to get right on a pinball simulation) is even more important. Central Park is the oldest game on TPA; it has not been that well received. They did Ace High in the Gottlieb collection; that would make a nice "bonus" table, perhaps, but it probably wouldn't sell well on its own.

Nov 18, 2016
I'd sure be interested in trying one out in TPA, strictly out of historical curiosity if nothing else. I'm curious to see how tables from my parents' childhood play today. And I see pinball tables and references in pre-60s movies that make me very curious to give them a run. And the chances of me finding a real working one is slim, so...

Snorzel

Apr 25, 2014
[MENTION=580]Heretic[/MENTION] what game has balls-a-poppin I want to check it out

I would like to play some oldies, Rockola made a few that look good in vids hope they add Ace High in TPA too

Last edited:

Crawley

Mar 25, 2013
I've played several of the woodrails from the 50's and they really are not that much fun - more curiosities. You have small flippers, sometimes only one, and there is almost no ball control. It's just flip as the ball comes near the flipper and hope for the best. A lot of those games features trap holes which will makes for quick games. If a ball lands in a trap hole that's it for that ball - it's on to the next. Ball movement is also extremely slow on these tables so gameplay is like - plunge, wait 5-10 seconds, flip, wait 5-10 seconds, flip, 5-10 more seconds, ball drains where there isn't a flipper.

vfpcoder

Jul 9, 2012
I've played several of the woodrails from the 50's and they really are not that much fun - more curiosities. You have small flippers, sometimes only one, and there is almost no ball control. It's just flip as the ball comes near the flipper and hope for the best. A lot of those games features trap holes which will makes for quick games. If a ball lands in a trap hole that's it for that ball - it's on to the next. Ball movement is also extremely slow on these tables so gameplay is like - plunge, wait 5-10 seconds, flip, wait 5-10 seconds, flip, 5-10 more seconds, ball drains where there isn't a flipper.

The basis of play for these older tables was "nudging". If you had good nudging skills you could derive some modicum of fun from them. Fortunately, many of us now have access to cabs or consoles running TPA with dedicated nudging buttons.

In any event, it would be nice to have Humpty-Dumpty from a sheer historical perspective as it was the first table to include flippers.

Badfinger

Feb 26, 2017
Suggest installing Visual Pinball and visit IRPinball and Pinball Nirvana, tons of the early stuff available, free.

Perhaps you'll then figure out why they aren't added in droves to TPA and went out of style.

弹珠台

Jul 8, 2016
Suggest installing Visual Pinball and visit IRPinball and Pinball Nirvana, tons of the early stuff available, free.

Perhaps you'll then figure out why they aren't added in droves to TPA and went out of style.
I check out some...seem that old tables are following the same pattern

Russell Bergman

Feb 29, 2012
I'd love for FarSight to throw in Play-Boy, Baffle Ball, Knock Out, Humpty Dumpty, and Ace High into The Pinball Arcade. Heck for good measure, throw in Slick Chick. ;) Williams Gusher is a hellafun table too!

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
I've worked on a couple games from the 50's and a lot of what makes them appealing is the sound and feel of the game. They're "cruder" than the EM's from the 70's. Kinda like comparing a 70's Corvette to a 50's one. That's tough to reproduce in digital form. FarSight would probably stay away from flipperless games as it wouldn't be financially viable. But, there's a few 50's and 60's Gottlieb's that might work. FarSight would need to pick rules over flair. Take a game like Buckaroo. A big part of it's appeal is the back glass animation. That's really lost on a digital table where they've created a graphic in the corner of the screen to represent it. One of Central Park's problems in TPA. On the other hand, Buckaroo has the roto target in the center of the playfield which would be a hoot if FarSight did it right. Speaking of roto targets, King of Diamonds would be a good choice. As far as woody's go, many of the "old guys" usually have fond things to say about 1952's Queen of Hearts. I've never played one personally but I wouldn't discount the opinion of a collector, Gordon Hasse, or the designer, Wayne Neyens, when they say it's one, if not the one, of their favorites.

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
I've worked on a couple games from the 50's and a lot of what makes them appealing is the sound and feel of the game. They're "cruder" than the EM's from the 70's. Kinda like comparing a 70's Corvette to a 50's one. That's tough to reproduce in digital form. FarSight would probably stay away from flipperless games as it wouldn't be financially viable. But, there's a few 50's and 60's Gottlieb's that might work. FarSight would need to pick rules over flair. Take a game like Buckaroo. A big part of it's appeal is the back glass animation. That's really lost on a digital table where they've created a graphic in the corner of the screen to represent it. One of Central Park's problems in TPA. On the other hand, Buckaroo has the roto target in the center of the playfield which would be a hoot if FarSight did it right. Speaking of roto targets, King of Diamonds would be a good choice. As far as woody's go, many of the "old guys" usually have fond things to say about 1952's Queen of Hearts. I've never played one personally but I wouldn't discount the opinion of a collector, Gordon Hasse, or the designer, Wayne Neyens, when they say it's one, if not the one, of their favorites.

well said dude, sexy post

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I'm not a huge fan of the short flipper era. But the first one that popped into my head was King of Diamonds. Totally agree with dtown on that one. It feels ahead of its time to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.