Virtual Whammy Bar

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
Code:
http://www.guitarworld.com/virtual-jeff-lets-you-put-whammy-bar-any-guitar-even-acoustic/26092

That is awesome, & goes on any guitar. No more going outta tune for whammy bar abuse. Sounds authentic to my ears. :)

danivempire

Oct 26, 2013
Wow. I'll have to check that out!
I never bought a guitar with a whammy, just changing the strings is a nightmare with a floating bridge.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
What a cool idea. I never even put the bar on my one guitar that has a whammy bar. Just wouldn't stay in tune if I used it.

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
I've found that only the top Floyds made by Floyd Rose, & Schaller, stay in tune. You must stretch the strings first, or even those won't stay in tune. A regular Fender trem will go out pretty quickly, but using locking tuners & a graphite nut helps. Supposedly EVH used a Fender trem on the first album.

Changing strings is not so bad on a Floyd, & if you leave the strings uncut you can just roll a little off the tuners & lock the end back down, provided the string didn't break too far from the trem. NEVER try just changing the broken string on a Floyd, you will have problems with tuning. Change the whole set, doing one at a time (taking all the old strings off at once is asking for trouble).

The trick to tuning strings on a Floyd is to gradually zone in on correct pitch, say, tune high E sharp, then bring low E up to pitch, which will bring high E down, for example. When you have them all close, lock down & fine tune to correct pitch.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I always pick a fixed bridge guitar.
My favorite is a PRS 245 SE. Love the shortscale (24.5). Even shorter than a Les Paul.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I always wondered how Jimi stayed in tune. He went nuts on his trem constantly. I barely touch mine and have to retune.

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
Most likely he had such a great set of ears he got quite deft at reaching up to the tuners & bringing the strings back up to pitch at will, mid-song. String go flat mostly, so a quick twist on the tuners will get them back in better than just staying outta tune until the end of a song. I don't mess with anything but a hardtail bridge like on my Les Paul (which stays in tune great unless I really get rough with it) or a guitar with a Floyd (Jackson Soloists).

Even my beater, a Peavey Rotor, stays in reasonably with it's Floyd knockoff.

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
I always pick a fixed bridge guitar.
My favorite is a PRS 245 SE. Love the shortscale (24.5). Even shorter than a Les Paul.

A Custom 24 with a Floyd is on my wish list, can't afford it right now though. The 245 would be interesting to check out.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
I used to play a cheap (500€ new) Jackson Soloist for long (hard tail).
I like the design - the body shape, pointed headstock and the shark fins.
Also neck-thru looks and feels imo much better than bolt-on.
If I had a lot of money to spend, I would buy a custom USA made soloist with a shorter scale length and
a dark ebony fretboard (shark fin inlays of course).

ZREXMike

Jul 30, 2015
dfL7m9T.png

This is my #2, a 2 or 3 year old USA MAH, stock. #1 that I don't have a pic of is a '93 USA line model with black metallic finish, Dimarzio X2N in the bridge & Fast Tracks in the middle & neck. You could get these for $1200 back then.

Biff

Sep 18, 2012
Sweet guitar Mike. Nice finish, timeless design.
In Germany we often envy Americans, who, of course, get better prices for US guitars.

At this time of the year, I always check Winter Namm videos.
I dig the new 6505 Piranha micro head.
179$.

Members online

Members online