Vote on this requested game to put this game up on GOG.

BeO

Mar 5, 2012
As mentioned before, GOG is not the best service if you want to put up DLC regularly. But as GOG are going towards a more traditional publisher role, that might change.

Beside that, GOG.com is by far the best online distribution service I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. When releasing an old classic, they try to gather as much extras as possible. Expansions, soundtracks, manuals, wallpapers and so on. DRM free means no hassle with copy protection that sometimes could cause serious damage to your OS (Starforce, remember that one?).

When there have been issues with new releases, GOG have always gone out of their way to compensate their customers. They charge you in US$, no matter where you live, so it's the same price for everyone. We who live in the EU usually pay quite a lot more than US customers thanks to many publishers $1=€1 policy.

I'm sorry if I sound like an ad, but I've been using digital distribution services for many years and GOG are still by far the best game distributor out there :) (IMHO ofc ;) And if you've never heard of them before, create an account and try out the free games that are available. If you're an old gamer, the chanses are you'll find a few of your old favourites there :)

Btw, just checked my account and saw that there's updates to three of the games I've purchased, so they do add content even after the game is released.

BJ Wanlund

Dec 29, 2012
I agree wholeheartedly with everything everyone else who has used GOG has said. I've been using GOG for a very long time.

Their customer service is totally top notch, they always know how to treat their customers right, AND they set an example many other digital distribution services (even those that distribute things other than video games) could take at least a few cues from.

One thing I'd love to be able to do is migrate my DLC to Farsight's own web-based DLC solution, and then that way I can play my TPA tables on whatever platform I want to. That way I can play TZ on my PC when that comes out without much trouble, and whenever I wanna play TZ on another platform, I can do so. Make it so!

N

netizen

GOG is very proud of the fact that they don't use DRM. Would this be a problem for FarSight?

That would be a concern, if I understand the licensing concerns from the interview the SYT did.

No DRM would essentially mean the whole project would get tanked, imo.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
Money people need to outgrow their love for DRM. It's not helping anyone, and it's definitely not hurting any pirates. The only people who'd ever run into problems with DRM, are the people who bought the software legally, anyway.

I'm very strongly against software piracy, but DRM is not a solution. GOG are doing a great thing, here.

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
The one thing, I reckon, that hinders a PC release of T.P.A., is the grassroots-recreations freely available for (the also freely available) visual pinbal (not to mention Future pinball). But having experienced first hand what a pain in the neck it is to set up (sofar all my attempts have resulted in complaints about missing ingredients), and seeing how VP recreations are ultimately inferior (just look at Monster Bash's clunky animatronics compared to TPA's silky smoothness), I sure hope this whole STAM thing ultimately gets off the ground. No fuss, better looking, better playing, legit, and handsomely priced.

Rob Mann

FarSight Employee
Nov 7, 2012
Unfortunately, our licensing agreements require us to provide DRM support on the game. This is why Gog won't work for us. If ya'll have other suggestions, aside from Gog and Steam, that use DRM, please let us know. Write about them here and I'll check it out.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
I personally hope that you find an alternative to Steam, so TPA won't be Steam _ONLY_. I'm not planning on supporting Steam any time soon.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
Money people need to outgrow their love for DRM. It's not helping anyone, and it's definitely not hurting any pirates. The only people who'd ever run into problems with DRM, are the people who bought the software legally, anyway.

I'm very strongly against software piracy, but DRM is not a solution. GOG are doing a great thing, here.

Hey, I'm no fan of DRM either. Anybody remember when Sony made copy-protected audio cd's that loaded spyware on your computer? BeO mentioned the StarForce that turned computers into clunkers.

But if DRM is what it takes to get great pinball table sims available at a fair price, I guess I can suspend my DRM dislike. At least until the 360 version comes back around.

freezy

Jun 5, 2012
I don't want to start another discussion, but isn't all 360 contents DRMed per SE?

The music industry learned it the hard way that DRM is counter-productive for publishers AND consumers. Why anyone would enforce DRM on anything is beyond me. I wonder if you guys actually asked why you had to sign such nonsense?

Jutter

Dec 30, 2012
I personally hope that you find an alternative to Steam, so TPA won't be Steam _ONLY_. I'm not planning on supporting Steam any time soon.
As a PC gamer, there's little getting around them these days. Sooner, rather than later, your game of choice will run through steam. Maybe things aren't all that horrible. Steam hasn't fed me Solyent Green yet.

Last edited:

Edan-Grossman

Jan 19, 2013
Today, you shouldn't have to worry about drm that installs rootkits or other bad software that you wouldn't want on your pc. Those issues that people had with sony's drm don't occur anymore, so that concern should be off the table.

What we should consider is how intrusive this drm method will be. I don't mind registering a key through the internet, since this game would be a downloadable game, you would already be connected to the internet anyways. However, I wouldn't want to be required to have an active internet connection just to play it as we should be allowed to play it offline. I also wouldn't mind if the game were to require a "check-in" with a server 60 days since the last time it was online.

I am a big fan of the Steam service, but I am really disappointed that they still don't have TPA.

rennervision

Feb 2, 2013
Yeah, I agree with the Windows App Store.

If Steam isn't an option, what other choice is there really? I really wish if the PC version wasn't coming, we would just get a cancellation announcement. I would then finally break down and buy it for the PS3 instead.

pinballlooking

Jan 14, 2013
That's Windows 8 only. Many potential customers are quite happy with Windows 7 or even Windows XP and have no plans nor desire to upgrade in the near future.

Yes I a fully aware it is for windows 8 only just like the FX2 first release.
App store will give them a place to securely release their software and get a windows version on the street.
I have a virtual pinball cab that runs XP with full feedback, flashers and shaker motor.
I run win 8 on a second HD for FX2 and will gladly install this on my win8 HD.

No vote required to put it in the app store.
We could be playing it next week it they go that way.

Last edited:

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
That's Windows 8 only. Many potential customers are quite happy with Windows 7 or even Windows XP and have no plans nor desire to upgrade in the near future.

+1. I haven't seen anything that makes a jump from 7 to 8 necessary for me yet. Also, I'll need a much more powerful computer........

rennervision

Feb 2, 2013
+1. I haven't seen anything that makes a jump from 7 to 8 necessary for me yet. Also, I'll need a much more powerful computer........

Sorry - but if your PC isn't powerful enough for Windows 8, I really don't understand how it's going to play Pinball Arcade anyways.

The fact is the Windows App Store is really the only option left. I would love it if someone would tell me there's another one I'm missing.

freezy

Jun 5, 2012
Sorry - but if your PC isn't powerful enough for Windows 8, I really don't understand how it's going to play Pinball Arcade anyways.

The fact is the Windows App Store is really the only option left. I would love it if someone would tell me there's another one I'm missing.

Nothing to do with power - see the Hyperspin forum for specs people are using for their cabs, those are all beasts. However most of us are still running XP because it gives a lot less headache with the software running on it. So a Windows 8 only TPA would make most of us very unhappy.

pinballlooking

Jan 14, 2013
Here is my cab the runs Hyperspin front end Virtual pinball.
FX pinball on win8
I cannot wait to install Pinball arcade on my cab!
Just release it on windows app store to get it out.
IMG_0609.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.