Request We need 2-stage or analog flipper control on games with upper flippers

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
I implemented this on Xbox 360 and PS3 this week. It will only work on analog buttons, so RT/LT on Xbox 360, and Both R1/L1 and R2/L2 as they are both analog. If you use LB/RB for flipper is won't work cause those buttons are on/off only.
Holy cracker...thats awesome, now I might have to swap between button setups on tables. Any way you guys can (eventually) manage per-table-setings on these on 360?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Most of the code to do this was already there. It just wasn't using the analog values. Since it only took about 10 minutes to implement I was able to get it done quickly.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I just tried on FUNHOUSE PS3 with L2/R2 both left flippers at the same time with the slightest touch no difference in speed, L2/R2 feels laggy because of the longer button press and the flippers feel weaker because of that to. But PS3 hasnt had an update since last dlc? So next one?

Matt McIrvin

Jun 5, 2012
Hmm. I've been using the bumpers for faster response, but this might be worth giving the triggers a try, if only to satisfy my curiosity.

Brandon Debes

Mar 29, 2012
Most of the code to do this was already there. It just wasn't using the analog values. Since it only took about 10 minutes to implement I was able to get it done quickly.

This is what's so awesome about having a product's developers participate in its user community. This only took 10 minutes and will make a lot of players happy. But how would they ever have even realized their players wanted this if not for reading fan forums? Thanks again, Mike, for being so dedicated to delivering to your consumers.

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
I just tried on FUNHOUSE PS3 with L2/R2 both left flippers at the same time with the slightest touch no difference in speed, L2/R2 feels laggy because of the longer button press and the flippers feel weaker because of that to. But PS3 hasnt had an update since last dlc? So next one?

I just implemented the fix this past week, so it'll be in a future update. I'm not in charge of the Sony submissions but I believe they are in submission now for the next DLC, so the fix won't be in until the release after that.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Not a big deal now with only 2 tables that need it, but its good to know its coming and will be there for future tables.

Shaneus

Mar 26, 2012
Apologies for the bump, but would it be possible (for the 360 version, at least) to allow for usage of both the triggers AND bumpers, so if you want to utilise the two-stage you can, otherwise you can stick with the (personally preferred) bumpers?

Andassaran

Sep 6, 2012
Apologies for the bump, but would it be possible (for the 360 version, at least) to allow for usage of both the triggers AND bumpers, so if you want to utilise the two-stage you can, otherwise you can stick with the (personally preferred) bumpers?

So then what happens when a table with magnasave or a player controlled up post (Black Knight [Pack 4] has Magnasave, and Harley-Davidson 3rd Edition [Pack 5] has a player controlled center up-post) comes along?

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
I've never come across a real pinball table with this feature and I played quite a lot of tables in the last 30 years.
So this is a real feature and not a user mod? If not, maybe the games I played that were supposed to have this feature
(Whirlwind for example) were broken. Strange...

I'm not sure if I'd like this or not. I suppose as long as its optional I wouldn't mind havin the ability to try it.
Having played Zen Pinball I have to admit I don't like the way you have to press the buttons harder to get the top flippers to respond. It comes off as a gimmicky use of the Dual Shock's analog buttons.

They also removed it in Zen Pinball 2's versions of the same tables, so I assume it wasn't a feature people cared for.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
They also removed it in Zen Pinball 2's versions of the same tables, so I assume it wasn't a feature people cared for.

Strange because all of Pinball FX2 tables (including all Marvel tables) have this feature.

Which btw isn't that great to use imo. It's very hard to judge where you need to stop flipping to keep the lower one up on an analog trigger (As opposed to buttons that have 2 stages) and concentrating on it is costing me more points then just using the digital bumbers and dealing with the fact both sides are up at once. The bumpers just feels so much more snappy. Ofcourse Zen2/PFX2 has the advantage of both bumpers and triggers being usable to flip at all times (as it has no magnasaves or eletroposts).

Last edited:

xNiCeGuYx

Apr 16, 2012
What the 2-stage flipper control isn't present in Zen Pinball 2??? I'm glad PB FX 2 has it cause I use this very often while having multiball!
@Bavelb
You can change the flipper sensitivity of the lower and upper flippers in the Operators Menu if you are having problems with the default settings.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I've never come across a real pinball table with this feature and I played quite a lot of tables in the last 30 years.
So this is a real feature and not a user mod? If not, maybe the games I played that were supposed to have this feature
(Whirlwind for example) were broken. Strange...

Maybe you press the flipper buttons a bit too hard (I usually do too), because a bunch of real machines have it (FH, TZ, STTNG, etc.).

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
What the 2-stage flipper control isn't present in Zen Pinball 2??? I'm glad PB FX 2 has it cause I use this very often while having multiball!
@Bavelb
You can change the flipper sensitivity of the lower and upper flippers in the Operators Menu if you are having problems with the default settings.

Will that disable leaderboards?

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.