What do you feel is the most overrated table in Pinball Arcade?

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
This is a tough call.

But I'm going to make it anyways.

Black Knight 2000.

(runs & ducks into cover)

The music is anything but overrated. The table and theme is great but the gameplay can be accomplished with just using your right hand for 90% of the game if you so desire. Not very balanced and once you get the timing down of the upper play field loop you can go continuously with it. I still think it is very good and enjoyable but I wouldn't disagree that it is somewhat overrated for play. Just can't stop listening to the song.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Bride of Pinbot is the worst for me, by far, no contest. 1-billion point shot renders ALL other scoring completely moot. An exercise in longevity...

The sad part is that it's such a cool theme and presentation...all ruined by the billion point gimmick :(

Echeos

Jun 5, 2013
I'd probably say TZ, followed by the other Lawlor pins. I just don't dig his style as much as some do. Don't get me wrong; they're great machines. Just a bit overrated, IMO.

Lawlor pins have too much stoppage in play for me.

Agreed. His tables don't tend to flow. Couldn't understand the fuss over him when I first joined here but have learned in time to adjust my opinion against the huge expectation his reputation created. Good tables, just not my thing.

EccentricFlower

May 4, 2015
As of today, I have a new answer for this: F-14 Tomcat.

Hate the theme, hate the voice work, hate the music, hate the maze of Habitrail which makes it impossible to figure out where the hell the ball is going to go, hate the two upper flippers which might as well be useless, hate whatever it is on the left side of the table that spits the ball straight at the center drain at the speed of light, and most of all hate that apparently the only point of this table is that it moves the ball too effing fast.

["Wow! But tell us what you REALLY think ..."]

Who voted for this thing?

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012

Hate the theme, hate the voice work, hate the music, hate the maze of Habitrail which makes it impossible to figure out where the hell the ball is going to go, hate the two upper flippers which might as well be useless, hate whatever it is on the left side of the table that spits the ball straight at the center drain at the speed of light, and most of all hate that apparently the only point of this table is that it moves the ball too effing fast.

Sorry dude, but I freakin' love this table.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014

I respect your opinion. It's completely wrong, but I respect it nonetheless.

Kaibun

Sep 21, 2014
Sorry, but I'll never understand how someone can hate a table as awesome as F-14. Go play it some more, and you'll like it.

Speaking of which, I actually prefer Ritchie to Lawlor myself, the latter is kind of overrated. Sure, tables like TZ might be more complex, but they're not as fun as something like Star Trek TNG or No Fear. Hell, I even find Road Show and TAF better than TZ.

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
hate the two upper flippers which might as well be useless
They're for hitting the TOMCAT standups, so you don't have to shoot the ones on the sides. And you can get Bonus X if you can make the loop with them. So... pretty important!

You can avoid the Yagov kicker shot until it's lit for EB if you want.

I love F-14 and I'm not even a S. Ritchie fanatic.

pezpunk

Jul 29, 2012
the Yakov kicker doesn't go STDM (at least not in my experience). it always ricochets off a flipper. it does send the ball out of control at ludicrous speed, though.

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
the Yakov kicker doesn't go STDM (at least not in my experience). it always ricochets off a flipper. it does send the ball out of control at ludicrous speed, though.

"Prepare ship for ludicrous speed! Fasten all seatbelts, seal all entrances and exits, close all shops in the mall, cancel the three ring circus, secure all animals in the zoo!"

squezey

Sep 18, 2015
The music is anything but overrated. The table and theme is great but the gameplay can be accomplished with just using your right hand for 90% of the game if you so desire. Not very balanced and once you get the timing down of the upper play field loop you can go continuously with it. I still think it is very good and enjoyable but I wouldn't disagree that it is somewhat overrated for play. Just can't stop listening to the song.

Black Knight 2000 is one of my favorite tables partially because of nostalgia since it was the first machines I ever played and fell in love with and overall I just think it's a really beautiful machine that has really smooth gameplay that even translates very well digitally. I definitely see that it's one of those tables you either love or hate though.

I'm probably gonna get some hate for this one but I don't understand why Adams Family is so popular. It's not that fun to play, the theme is really bland, the sound is really obnoxious to me. If it wasn't released before Frankenstein which seemed to be a machine that did a darker/horror theme right I would say it feels like a bad take on that. But then again I never actually played the machine at all in my life so don't got any nostalgia for it either.

trunchbull

Sep 21, 2015
Agreeing with Twilight Zone, which has a lot to do, and that's kind of fun, but it lacks a good, singular direction. I feel like I'm doing things just for the sake of doing things, not for any compelling theme or unifying emotional arc, which sucks because the theme is so good. Addams Family is a little bit similar but it's more contained and tighter with the theme (explore the mansion), whereas Twilight Zone is a lot of toys that sorta have something to do with the show. It looks cool and the play is pretty nice, especially for hotshot pinpoint-accuracy pros, where the game is really rewarding as far as score/skill, but who cares when it doesn't draw you in? Zzzzzz.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts