What four table packs would you recommend to someone new to TPA?

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
I'd actually recommend AFM over Medieval Madness, but since it comes with Genie while MM comes with BOPB I went with MM...

Oh, totally feel you. AFM is THE best table for beginners, IMO, whether in TPA or IRL. It's so easy to understand at a glance, it has an excellent and engaging design and a great theme, modern sensibilities, over-the-top scoring, etc. etc.

Medieval Madness is really complex and confusing to look at and there is just so much going on. But Genie cancels out all the goodness of AFM. I consider AFM a one-pack for as much as I play Genie, tbh. On the other hand, BoPB is a great beginner game and a good compliment to MM, which in itself *is* an excellent table.

JefferyD

May 10, 2013
Gorgar-Monster Bash was the one that clinched it for me. I was totally unaware of post-1980 pinball advancement until I tried TPA. I came for Gorgar, and was ensnared by Monster Bash.

Pardon the rerun – I know I've typed this before – but I played pinball as a kid at a local 7-11 for years. As I recall, there was a parade of Evel Knievel, Kiss, Superman and Gorgar – one at a time – spaced out over a few years with Gorgar lasting the longest. After serving the last few months of its reign with a shattered back glass and a player 1 scoreboard that didn't work, Gorgar was carted out and never replaced. I really missed Gorgar, and every time I walked in that 7-11 I hoped they'd surprise me with a new pinball table. Nope. Never happened.

A few years later I found a movie theater that had a Firepower and Black Hole. One game of Firepower was completely disheartening. Has there ever been a table meaner to a first-time player? I think not. So I stepped over to Black Hole. 50 cents? No flippin' way. Tried it anyway and lasted marginally longer than I did on Firepower, but at what price? What price? 50 cents! Never again. Double the price, less than half the fun.

The main local arcade didn't have pinball, it was foosball-centric. I never saw or took notice of another table for a couple of decades. One day, in 2013, during a moment of nostalgic reminiscence, I did a search for Gorgar and saw that it was included on TPA which I could play on my brand new iPad! Can't beat that! Monster Bash came with it. Eventually, after three or four days of blissful time spent with Gorgar, I tried Monster Bash. It took a while for the subtleties to sink in but it was a revelation.

Attack From Mars was another great one to reel in the beginner (me) and seal the deal. I buy every season when it comes up in the iOS store. I get a kick out of most of the tables and wait patiently for Evel Knievel, Superman, Kiss. Don't tell me they're never coming; I might be sad.

So, back on topic, my list is Gorgar/MB, AFM/Genie, EBD, MM/BrideOfPinbot

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
Let's see... quality, fun, and replay value... hmm...

It's pretty much Season 1, Centaur and EBD in the running. In order of release, I'd go with:

1. Cirqus Voltaire/Fun House — these have some complexity to their rulesets for replay value, appealing sounds/heckling/visuals and you get Rudy plus the Ringmaster (an absolute no-brainer)
2. Gorgar/Monster Bash — one challenges you in an old-school way, and one has a delightful combination of music, monsters, humor and a quirky ruleset — Gorgar's 7-word vocabulary, the long shot to the pit, the playfield artwork flat-out stolen from fantasy artist Boris Vallejo, and the ever-faster ambient heartbeat add up to a classic — MM is funnier, but the music/monster theme of MB is compelling for me
3. Attack from Mars/Genie — AFM may be the best beginner table, and I personally enjoy the widebody brutality of Genie
4. Eight Ball Deluxe — EBD is the ultimate player's table, bar none (again, a no-brainer)

That leaves an honorable mention for Centaur/PIN•BOT. The fun of the multiball and theme of Centaur made this close. Sadly, the weakest of the BOT trilogy did not help its case.

Last edited:

k88dad

Nov 9, 2012
I think good newbie tables are games with very clear objectives, a clean playfield design, lenient rules and lots of safe shots.

In fairness, the OP never said newbie, he said new to TPA. It's unclear if the intended audience is new to pinball.

Rich Lehmann

Aug 26, 2014
Monster Bash/Gorgar Monster Bash is one of the best modern tables ever and Gorgar is one of the best 70's tables (even though technically it came out in 1980)
Original Launch Tables I think it is only 99 cents and Theater of Magic and Ripley's are fantastic. Black Hole takes some getting used to but it is also great.
White Water/Space Shuttle Both great tables
Medievel Madness/Bride of Pinbot Both great tables

Addams Family and Dracula the only single table I would substitute for either Whitewater or Medievel Madness. I don't think any other single table is so great that it's better than two great tables.

OR, just buy a cheap Kindle Fire for $49 and get the first 41 tables of Seasons 1 and 2 for free with Pinball Arcade Underground.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts