What is the best way to use the Xbox 360 controller for nudging ?

Ton

Dec 10, 2013
Until now I find it impossible to nudge. My reactions are terribly slow. Before I realize that I have to nudge, the ball is already lost.
Of course that means that I have to practice a lot and maybe concentrate some time on only nudging. I already found a few threads here with helpful tips, particularly one from DrainoBraino to play games with only nudging and trying to steer the ball with nudging. I intend to do that to learn to react the right way and at the right time. But before doing so, I would like to get some advice about using my Xbox 360 controller for that. I realize that it is also a matter of preferences, but still...
1) Is it recommendable to assign the D-pad for nudging or is it better to use the, default, Left Joystick ? I ask because I have the impression that the D-pad is easier to reach for with my left thumb.
2) What is the best nudge setting to try to get used to, the default or the inverted ?

Ton

Dec 10, 2013
Thanks.
And how do you use your thumb with that ? Push the joystick from the side or lay your thumb on top of it ?

xAzatothx

Sep 22, 2012
you have your index fingers on the bumpers. Left thumb on the left stick for nudging. Right thumb used to launch the ball.

I recently started to use my xbox controller with my PC and TPA (steam) in portrait. Very good but need to practice as got used to playing on android tablet where nudging is very different. Stopped playing the xbox version a long time ago.

p6800

May 17, 2013
I use the right stick for nudging. Seems easier to me.

You don't nudge to save the ball, you nudge all the time to make the ball do what you want and avoid trouble! You will have to abuse nudgind to have great games. TPA has a generous tilt setting, so nudging somtimes feels like cheating.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
To answer your second question, I use the default setting. You're moving the table, not the ball. When on default, the table moves in the same direction as the stick. But remember, the table slides under the ball, so nudging the table to the right moves the ball to the left. Or, if the ball is next to a wall, you can use the wall to push it. Works great when you see the ball leisurely heading down towards the top of a slingshot, which if allowed to bounce on, will most likely go directly to the outlane. So do a preemptive strike and push it towards the middle of the table.

Ton

Dec 10, 2013
You don't nudge to save the ball, you nudge all the time.....

But is nudging not (also) used to try to save the ball from going down the drain or to the outlane ?
Or did you mean "You don't only nudge to save the ball...."

p6800

May 17, 2013
Yeah, that's it. When you have to rush in an instant and nudge to save, you will fail. Preemptive was the word i was looking for. Allways try to nudge so you keep the ball out of any potential trouble.

Simple example. When you see the ball come down towards a slingshot, nudge it away so that it lands on the flipper.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts