What Licenses Would Give FarSight The Best Bang For Their Buck?

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
I really liked that Johnny Mnemonic table so I'll second that; Judge Dredd is a fun mission-based table and as a fan of the comic I'd be pleased to see it in the arcade too. Lord of the Rings is okay - certainly better than the Harley Davisdson machine. Otherwise I think the WMS Indiana Jone machine was a lot of fun.

I can remember playing the Data East Star Wars table and not thinking much of it; I seem to recall one of the Sega Batman tables was quite poor as well, I think it was Batman Forever.

I can't say I'd be willing to do a 3rd kickstarter for any more licensed machines though. Adventures of Indiana Jones perhaps, but I really think they should be doing more classic machines that don't involve a license for a change or some of these cheaper ones. Judge Dredd or anything without actor likenesses so they can do it without asking for another handout from the fans.

Lord Boron

Apr 18, 2012
I agree that the Star Wars table are "meh" at best but the thier strength is in the name recognition. They would probably bring in more people who are Star Wars fans that just buy anything Star Wars and really know little about pinball.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
Early contender for understatement of the year.

Heh, I suppose. It's one of the better machines at the HMV in Glasgow city centre. They're all a bit "meh" though: X-Files has one of the most boring playfields ever, ditto for Transformers. Then there's Lord of the Rings, Dark Knight and South Park. I haven't played the latter because I'm not a fan of the show, but I might give it a whirl because the table might be decent; the Stern machines are better than nothing, but I just don't like the feel of these newer machines.

I can't put a finger on it, they just don't feel like "proper" pinball machines to me.

Sumez

Nov 19, 2012
LotR is a perfect balance of an awesome theme, and great implementation. Never played it (though I did check it out at a local amusement park when I still didn't dig pinball much), but watched some videos, including tournaments with commentary, and the game looks perfectly solid. Combined with the theme, music, sound clips, etc. it would be such an excellent pinball table to include (good luck with the license, though! The owners of the LOTR movie license are doing everything they can to squeeze it for money).

The only thing I dislike about it is the use of actual movie stock images on the playfield, that always looked tacky to me. Original art would have been better.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
The playfield feels a bit close to me and the pinball movement on the table doesn't seem natural, like they're using a load of magnets to influence ball trajectory.

It's decent and I cannot complain because there's little choice available to me when it comes to real pinball. I certainly would take it over the other Stern tables we currently have and Creature from the Black Lagoon, but I wouldn't hold it up against the best of the 80s output from Bally or Williams.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
The playfield feels a bit close to me and the pinball movement on the table doesn't seem natural, like they're using a load of magnets to influence ball trajectory.

LoTR has no magnets (with the exception of the Ring), as far as I'm aware. Strange ball movements most likely have to do with lack of maintenance, poorly maintained playfield etc.

Last edited:

Bowflex

Feb 21, 2012
For a Stern game, I like LotR. The playfield has more traditional targets, ramps and such and it isn't as littered with cheap toys as some of the other games. Plus it does actually have some fun play to it. Pirates of the Carribean is similar in appearance of ramps and playfield too but I've never found a table of that game I enjoyed. Always seemed like a drain monster at any location I've encountered it.

Sean

Jun 13, 2012
It would be nice to see more non-licensed tables being made by Stern. Although one of my all-time favourites is based upon a licensed property, by-and-large I prefer the original tables I've played.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012
It would be nice to see more non-licensed tables being made by Stern. Although one of my all-time favourites is based upon a licensed property, by-and-large I prefer the original tables I've played.

Will never happen again. Gary Stern has said so.

Mark W**a

Banned
Sep 7, 2012
Dracula. The license should be dirt cheap.

Same with Johhny Mneumonic, The Shadow. Corny licenses all around but great tables.

Simpsons or Family Guy would bring in a wider audience of casual players. Indiana Jones also a good idea. LotR might need a kickstarter. Wait all of these might need one :(.

pseudokings

Jun 10, 2012

Same with Johhny Mneumonic, The Shadow. Corny licenses all around but great tables.

Simpsons or Family Guy would bring in a wider audience of casual players. Indiana Jones also a good idea. LotR might need a kickstarter. Wait all of these might need one :(.

You'd think they would be sane on Johnny, Shadow and Dracula, but, it's Hollywood so, who knows? LOTR I think could be worth it, and is a KS that could get funded. Indy = "The Mouse" now = nothing but doubt, and big(ger) $. Simpsons and Fam Guy are okay - but overrated - tables, that I get to play regularly, and regularly skip to play better tables, and would be a waste of resources (comparably) IMO.

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012

Keanu Reeves and Alec Baldwin can't be cheap.

David Pannozzo

Mar 6, 2012
Family Guy, Tron Lagacy, Spiderman, The Dark Knigt, Wheel Of Fortune, Big Buck Hunter Pro, are probably my favorite Stern S.A.M games, if the S.A.M. system ever gets emulated. I also would like to see Jersey Jacks Wizard Of Oz on The Pinball Arcade, I know that would be a liscense nigtmare. When I see Jack in November at The Soutern Pinball Festival this November I'll ask him if he'd ever let Farsight put Wizard Of Oz on The Pinball Arcade someday. I also think it would be very hard to make the LCD backglass but with te new game systems coming from Microsoft and Sony who knows.

SvZurich

Jan 26, 2013
ELVIS
Dr Who
Corvette

Not sure about Corvette, but Dr Who for certain! It would benefit from people watching the current series who are curious, and people like me who grew up watching it. I wouldn't mind seeing Elvis come to my tablets either. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.