When will be the next Kickstarter?

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
I have come into the game late. I have only been playing TPA for about six months now. Obviously love the game and I have been introduced to a bunch of great tables I have never played in real life as I grew up in a small town.

So how many Kickstarters have there been to this point? 3? Addams Family, T2, ST:TNG?

Do they roughly average to about 1 done per year? Wouldn't another Kickstarter be coming soon? My vote on an upcoming expensive license would probably be TSPP.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
I think FS would like to avoid Kickstarters from now on.

Why is that? If the fans are willing to help fund tables they really want why would they not want to do that?

I did read the discussion in the Indiana Jones thread where Disney make not look kindly at Farsight not having enough money to license it own their own and requesting a Kickstarter could look bad. Is that some of the reason?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Why is that? If the fans are willing to help fund tables they really want why would they not want to do that?

I did read the discussion in the Indiana Jones thread where Disney make not look kindly at Farsight not having enough money to license it own their own and requesting a Kickstarter could look bad. Is that some of the reason?

Because quite simply it reflects negatively on the company. Kickstarters by definition are meant to get your feet off the ground. TPA has been around since 2012, not exactly a struggling, fledgling thing. When your largest competitor/peer is getting big licenses without crowd funding, how's that make you look? Marvel, Star Wars, South Park, Family Guy...these are all licenses that are on real pinball machines, and Zen has managed to strike deals and make original tables of them. And yet FarSight would need kickstarters for every one of them?

Take the money you'd want to spend on a kickstarter, and buy the Pro Tables, buy for multiple platforms, buy ball packs. Hopefully FarSight can come up with another way of dealing with heavy IP costs internally or through corporate partners. There's only so many times you can dip into the kickstarter well.

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
Because quite simply it reflects negatively on the company. Kickstarters by definition are meant to get your feet off the ground. TPA has been around since 2012, not exactly a struggling, fledgling thing. When your largest competitor/peer is getting big licenses without crowd funding, how's that make you look? Marvel, Star Wars, South Park, Family Guy...these are all licenses that are on real pinball machines, and Zen has managed to strike deals and make original tables of them. And yet FarSight would need kickstarters for every one of them?

Take the money you'd want to spend on a kickstarter, and buy the Pro Tables, buy for multiple platforms, buy ball packs. Hopefully FarSight can come up with another way of dealing with heavy IP costs internally or through corporate partners. There's only so many times you can dip into the kickstarter well.

Makes sense from a business perspective. That probably does eliminate some tables from ever being seen in TPA. Oh well.

Still hope to see TSPP at some point.

Last edited:

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
Those are some sharp arguments that have been made, but I think there could be room for another Kickstarter or 2 and that's not only because I like to see them happen. I just think a lot of the wider community than just these forums here will not think that sharp and feel like TPA is dipping into the KS well too often. People have short memories and if they want something, they'll cough up the dough. That's also how smart business works. And then again, do we have solid evidence that TPA could sustain those license costs themselves? Is there proof? I don't know anything about their margins of profit or their bank accounts. Are they public? Just saying.....

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
The Kickstarters don't bother me at all. As long as they are going after something worthwhile I will continue to give generously.

Extork

Mar 14, 2013
Don't you guys think that the license holders would be easier to get along with now? Maybe they'd see it as a good sign that one of the hardest has been made, TAF.

Id rather see them than one of the ex wives. I can't shoot the ex's.
Please don't shoot my hands! Btw, you were right that I don't have mafia, but he crab-people owe me a favor

pm1109

Dec 18, 2013
Wasn't there like $17,000 left over from the last kickstarter.Sure hope there is atleast one more kickstarter left.TSPP would be the obvious choice!

Slam23

Jul 21, 2012
I would vote LOTR (but I did already at some other thread)... :) But I will gladly support TSPP also. Not happening is IJ probably, but that one I would fund in a heartbeat.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012
I would vote LOTR (but I did already at some other thread)... :) But I will gladly support TSPP also. Not happening is IJ probably, but that one I would fund in a heartbeat.

It's no secret that IJ is, perhaps, THE most wanted table on TPA. It sucks that Disney owns the rights to it. If it was still property of Lucasfilm, I think George Lucas would be cooler with the idea. IJ would still require a KS but the amount would probably still be attainable. After all, he was cool with Star Wars being parodied on Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Angry Birds, and even the 1978 short "Hardware Wars".

What's also telling is that not even Zen can get the rights to do Indiana Jones-themed tables for ZP or PFX2.

It sucks when some damned rodent owns so much of the entertainment, news, and sports world. (Not Chuck E. Cheese BTW.)

Last edited:

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
So what higher profile tables have a chance of being added to TPA at some point? It sounds like TSPP has a good shot. What about LOTR? Sounds like IJ has virtually a 0% shot. Tron Legacy looks like a fantastic table but it being a Disney property seems like a longshot like IJ. What about The Shadow? Pinball Magic?

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
So what higher profile tables have a chance of being added to TPA at some point? It sounds like TSPP has a good shot. What about LOTR? Sounds like IJ has virtually a 0% shot. Tron Legacy looks like a fantastic table but it being a Disney property seems like a longshot like IJ.

What else?

I'm just guessing, but I don't think TSPP has a good shot, I think it's too tough of a license.

I'm not sure how to define higher profile, but since Dracula and Starship Troopers got in, perhaps other DMD tables based on movies (that are/were not already big IP's... did I use that term IP correctly?) might have a shot. Like...
- Frankenstein
- Shadow
- Demolition Man
- Congo
- Johnny Mnenomic
- Maverick
- Twister
- Independence Day
- Dirty Harry
- Stargate
- Lethal Weapon 3
- Last Action Hero