When will be the next Kickstarter?

TNT

Feb 27, 2015
I'm just guessing, but I don't think TSPP has a good shot, I think it's too tough of a license.

I'm not sure how to define higher profile, but since Dracula and Starship Troopers got in, perhaps other DMD tables based on movies (that are/were not already big IP's... did I use that term IP correctly?) might have a shot. Like...
- Frankenstein
- Shadow
- Demolition Man
- Congo
- Johnny Mnenomic
- Maverick
- Twister
- Independence Day
- Dirty Harry
- Stargate
- Lethal Weapon 3
- Last Action Hero
- Hook
- Apollo 13
- Lost in Space
- Austin Powers
- Waterworld
- Barb Wire

Or these TV-themed tables:
- Baywatch
- Rescue 911
- X-Files
- Sopranos

Cool. Nice list. Some good tables in there.

Quantifying can be difficult to do. I am still learning about the terminology used on the board but it seems like these type of tables have little chance:

Disney owned properties
Popular tables created since 2000 (why would this be?)
Popular tables based on movies
Rock bands?

That's just from what I gather that has been discussed on the board.

Last edited:

invitro

May 4, 2012
Invitro, you missed The Flinstones, Tales From The Crypt, Freddy, Popeye Saves The Earth, and Family Guy.
I had reasons :)...
- Flintstones is a major IP without its movie,
- Tales from the Crypt is a minor(?) IP without its TV show / movie (I forget which),
- Freddy, maybe, but it's an ongoing thing and I thought too premium for this list, which is why I put a ? by Terminator 3, and probably should after X-Files,
- Popeye is a major IP,
- Family Guy is a S.A.M. table, and there's no evidence that Farsight can do those, and I think a fair bit that they can't.

I also didn't list tables based on sports leagues or pro athletes, or misc licenses like RollerCoaster Tycoon.

I didn't prioritize based on table quality (use IPDb and/or Pinside for an objective number, and probably also the PAF polls). I believe that Farsight is, though, as IMO they've been making great choices even where they differ with IPDb/Pinside (Phantom of the Opera #231 and Jack*Bot #160 are ranked low on IPDb, but I think way underrated, and ). So this list might have more value if ranked by quality. The top three appear to be: Shadow #25 IPDb, Stargate #34, and Congo #40.

The license guessing game is very fun to play... but I think it's almost all luck-based :).

* I hope I got those rankings correct for a change. Or close; the rankings I posted are at least a few months old.

Last edited:

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Cool. Nice list. Some good tables in there.

Quantifying can be difficult to do. I am still learning about the terminology used on the board but it seems like these type of tables have little chance:

Disney owned properties
Popular tables created since 2000 (why would this be?)
Popular tables based on movies
Rock bands?

That's just from what I gather that has been discussed on the board.

Disney IPs are a tough nut to crack, yes. Often companies lose money on these because they have to pay out so much to Disney, who like an A list actor, believes their name alone moves product and they deserve to be compensated accordingly. Companies are okay with this though, as it proves they can be a major player and parlay that into other products they make.

Stern tables up to LotR ran on a system called Whitestar. FarSight has been able to emulate and run this on all platforms with no issue. After that, Stern switched to S.A.M. and FarSight has stated that it is too processor intensive for some platforms (mobile). However, in the most recent BlahCade podcast, Bobby said this might not be an issue soon as they are going to start putting out new system requirements for the mobile market. We'll just have to see.

Different movies have different license value, as do the actors attached to them. Some tables only feature one or two actors, others feature full blown photos of the entire cast. A table like Dirty Harry would require Clint Eastwood signing off on it, and Warner Bros., but as it is not based on any one particular movie in the series, that actually helps potentially keep the cost down. FarSight made a deal with Sony that include a 'block' sale, meaning they purchased the rights for a few properties at one price. This helps offset the cost, letting a less expensive property absorb the expense of something more costly. This should potentially help us with seeing more licenses in the future.

Rock bands = music, and music rights are insanely expensive. You have to pay the song writers, the music publishers, the music label, etc. Never say never, but FarSight has said it most likely will not happen.

karl

May 10, 2012
Just a small correction. The Whitestar system that Stern used before their SAM system was in play until 2006, with World poker tour as their first SAM machine. Nascar/Grand Prix and The Sopranos was the last titles to use Whitestar in 2005 (Lord of the rings came out in 2003)

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
It's no secret that IJ is, perhaps, THE most wanted table on TPA. It sucks that Disney owns the rights to it. If it was still property of Lucasfilm, I think George Lucas would be cooler with the idea. IJ would still require a KS but the amount would probably still be attainable. After all, he was cool with Star Wars being parodied on Family Guy, Robot Chicken, Angry Birds, and even the 1978 short "Hardware Wars".

What's also telling is that not even Zen can get the rights to do Indiana Jones-themed tables for ZP or PFX2.

It sucks when some damned rodent owns so much of the entertainment, news, and sports world. (Not Chuck E. Cheese BTW.)
----------
It sure looks more & more like Disney is 'greedy' to the nth degree eh. :p

David T. Melnick

Jul 23, 2014
I had reasons :)...
- Flintstones is a major IP without its movie,
- Tales from the Crypt is a minor(?) IP without its TV show / movie (I forget which),
- Freddy, maybe, but it's an ongoing thing and I thought too premium for this list, which is why I put a ? by Terminator 3, and probably should after X-Files,
- Popeye is a major IP,
- Family Guy is a S.A.M. table, and there's no evidence that Farsight can do those, and I think a fair bit that they can't.

I also didn't list tables based on sports leagues or pro athletes, or misc licenses like RollerCoaster Tycoon.

I didn't prioritize based on table quality (use IPDb and/or Pinside for an objective number, and probably also the PAF polls). I believe that Farsight is, though, as IMO they've been making great choices even where they differ with IPDb/Pinside (Phantom of the Opera #231 and Jack*Bot #160 are ranked low on IPDb, but I think way underrated, and ). So this list might have more value if ranked by quality. The top three appear to be: Shadow #25 IPDb, Stargate #34, and Congo #40.

The license guessing game is very fun to play... but I think it's almost all luck-based :).

* I hope I got those rankings correct for a change. Or close; the rankings I posted are at least a few months old.
-----------
what I don't get (mostly) is that the hidden gems are almost never listed, yet are many times far better than some of the popular selling ones. :confused:

Members online

Members online