when will we see cabinet options?

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
I got backglass rendering working. It was way more complicated than I had hoped. The next major issue is handling the playfield rendering. If you render at a camera angle similar to the persons eye position, the back of the table is smaller than the front cause of perspective. In Virtual Pinball they have a way to fix "keystone effect", which I need to implement something similar.

So it has been over 6 months since this post. How is that back glass rendering coming along? About done yet?

Mike Reitmeyer

FarSight Employee
Mar 13, 2012
Backglass rendering is good. Have it setup for most tables (except the last few we did). I also am testing a rendering method to render the playfield so it looks correct on the main screen. The method seems to work but I still have to test it on the actual cabinet.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Thank you very much for the update Mike!
Sounds really good! If you need cab beta testers my offer still stands :)

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
Backglass rendering is good. Have it setup for most tables (except the last few we did). I also am testing a rendering method to render the playfield so it looks correct on the main screen. The method seems to work but I still have to test it on the actual cabinet.

You were supposed to say, "Haven't looked at that for long time. We hope to implement it soon."

😉

L33

Aug 20, 2014
Suppose I'm a newbie when it comes to pinball as the last real table I played on was over 20 years ago...and 1 game lasted less than a minute...I was pants. But I still threw in those 10p's one after another as it was so much fun to play.

When I saw Pinball Arcade as a free download I downloaded it but was expecting it to be rubbish...but was really shocked at just how good it was/is. It brought back so many good childhood memories that it made me want to play on a real table so I took a trip to Blackpool in the hope of spending a whole day playing pinball. To my amazement I couldn't find a single pinball table. I was so disappointed.

After a bit of thinking I thought, hey, if I connect my ipad up to the tv somehow, I could make it look like a pinball table. I googled to see if this was possible and saw videos of people who had built their own cabinets and were playing virtual pinball. I had to do this, this was great. But then after downloading various bits of software and a lot of frustration, I gave it up as a bad job...it was beyond my computer know how. Then I thought, what if Pinball Arcade could be adapted to be played I to a cabinet. After googling, I found this thread and have been following it ever since. I've even managed to find a real pinball event and will be attending very shortly. Seems the virtual work is having an effect on the real tables themselves.

I believe there are a lot of people out there who, like myself, would be building their cabinet right now should Pinball Arcade become available as a cabinet option. I've been following this thread for ages and I'm sure there are others too who are watching in hope. It would have to be simple to set up, as other virtual set ups seem overly complicated to most, but I have friends who are already asking me if I've built mine yet and I've already looked into buying the cabinet itself, waiting for the green light from Farsight so to speak.

If Farsight read my post, then please know that there are many people like myself, sitting quietly, waiting for the news of a cabinet option. It doesn't make sense to design a virtual pinball software and not be able to play it on a virtual cabinet. It'd be like playing space invaders or pacman on the ipad...just not the same!

So here's to hoping that the cabinet option is within reach, and if your watching Farsight...please keep us up to speed if you can. You're doing a great job and it's frustrating at times when there are no updates on the issue, but I'm guessing it's no easy task and I wouldn't have the foggiest idea on how to do any of this myself.

Ps. Apologies for the long post. :)

P1r

May 4, 2013
If Farsight read my post, then please know that there are many people like myself, sitting quietly, waiting for the news of a cabinet option. It doesn't make sense to design a virtual pinball software and not be able to play it on a virtual cabinet. It'd be like playing space invaders or pacman on the ipad...just not the same!

Yep, I pretty much second everything you're saying. Really looking forward to building myself a cabinet from a couple of old LCD:s. Just one question, it seems you guys are all speaking about the PC version. Am I the black sheep using a Mac? I just fired up TPA and didn't seem to find a multi monitor function in there...

Edit: duh, yes I now know that this was a subthread in PC. Sorry, my bad.

Last edited:

DaPinballWizard

Apr 16, 2012
Well looks like my time is about done here. I doubt we are going to be seeing cabinet features in the next release. No cabinet support next release, I'm done, no more support from me. I will check back each release to see if anything changes, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Wish I could get my kickstarter money I donated back. $200 kicked in, and no support. Feel more like kicked in the face. What a waste of money. Thanks for nothing.

Hurry and delete my post. I am sure it is not "civil" enough. Ha

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
Exactly what I wanted to say. We appreciate all your work and know it is only a side project.
I am eager to see the results and more than happy to support the cause.

mrhorseshoe

Jun 25, 2012
Looks like its coming out soon! On the bright side, I was able to save enough cash to buy a VirtuaPin mini while waiting. I'm hoping for a Christmas miracle, but I'll suffice for first half of 2015.

chinzman93

Jul 1, 2013
Mike,

Will the 2 screen setup support both landscape and portrait mode for the back glass monitor? I used an old EM cabinet for my build (Williams Big Ben) and I was able to mount a 28" 16:10 monitor running in portrait mode, which fills the back box nicely. I know quite a few DIY people that went this route because of the cost effectiveness.

Thanks for the hard work!

Mike,

I was just curious if you have had a chance to try this yet?

Rooter

Apr 23, 2012
Well looks like my time is about done here. I doubt we are going to be seeing cabinet features in the next release. No cabinet support next release, I'm done, no more support from me. I will check back each release to see if anything changes, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Wish I could get my kickstarter money I donated back. $200 kicked in, and no support. Feel more like kicked in the face. What a waste of money. Thanks for nothing.

I am with you, no more money from me until we get some kind of cabinet support. However, I have no idea why you thought pre-ordering an expensive version of a video game would get you cabinet support.

I really wish they would make a Kickstarter for cabinet options. It's a pretty large community that has people with thousands of dollars of disposable income to toss around. It's pretty sad that the free versions of these games are more advanced than the paid ones that are backed by the companies that build the original machines.

striggell

Nov 19, 2013
I'd happily donate to a cabinet kickstarter if that's what it would take.

I've said it before I love VP but I often spend more time updating tables etc than playing. I'd happily pay for a cabinet version of PA if it matched the quality of VP in a cabinet. That means 3 monitor support, real dmd support and feedback support. With vp10 just around the corner and likely to arrive sooner than a cabinet or dx11 PA, I can see me sticking with VP for a fair while yet.

rehtroboi40

Oct 20, 2012

Sorry about that! If I was adamant about cabinet support, I'd be mad about the delays too. Consoles aren't faring much better in the way of support from FarSight. As much as I love TPA, which is the only game I get excited about playing, I truly believe FarSight has bit off way more than it can chew with this project. Even as noble and lofty as this project is.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts