When you aim...

Professor_Jones

Aug 25, 2013
Just a quick and simple question, what works better for you when you aim for a particular place on a pinball table : looking at the flipper (the position of the ball on the flipper to be more exact) or looking a what you're aiming for ?

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I look at what Im aiming for and draw an imaginary line to my flipper then take my shot, depending if it to the left or right of what Im aiming for will tell me if Im too early or to late then adjust my timing.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Both. On a real table I might not look directly at either point but somewhere in between so that I can keep the flipper and target within my field of vision. In TPA that is easier because they're both on a screen usually within a foot or so of real distance apart.

Bonzo

May 16, 2012
I look at what Im aiming for and draw an imaginary line to my flipper then take my shot, depending if it to the left or right of what Im aiming for will tell me if Im too early or to late then adjust my timing.
That's exactly the way I do it.

Vyrastas

Mar 26, 2013
It's a mix of both for me... just depends on the shot and what I'm working with (caught ball vs incoming ball).

sotie

Aug 30, 2012
I always aim for the center and never look at my flipper. I hate it when a bit gets on the rim because my wife will yell at me if I don't wipe it off.

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
I used to just look at the flipper. I've slowly found myself sort of looking at both the flipper and the thing I'm aiming for, definitely using my peripheral vision to some extent on the flipper still. I've found I've been doing better on tables that require precising aiming taking this broader view of the table, but it takes a lot of practice.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Both, depends on the shot. If it's a table I know well, I'll just gauge it off the flipper, especially if I've caught the ball first.

Longer shots further up the playfield, or a table I'm not 100% sure of the angles, I look at the target shot and line up the angle with my peripheral vision.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
On a real table, I tend to look at where I want the ball to go and just time it. In TPA and Zen, I do a lot of looking at the flipper when first learning a shot. That's mainly because of how consistent the virtual pinballs are. Once I start getting the shot down, muscle memory kicks in and it becomes timing, which then leads to me learning to hit shots off live balls instead of cradled ones.

So I guess the short answer is, both.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.