Where do all the scores go after the tournament is over...?

ccl78

Oct 29, 2012
Good ones go to heaven, I heard. But all of them (including the bad and the ugly) go here: http://blahcadetournamenttracker-ccl78.rhcloud.com

This is a small database backed webapp. Right now it only shows the scores in two ways: one respecting the groupings and one ignoring them (so you can see where your score on a specific table ranks in the global tournament context). But more is possible. SYT already suggested some kind of player vs. player comparison - how does player A do compared to player B? What is the win/loss record between two players? These will be implemented next. But with the scores being kept in a relational database almost any kind of query / statistic is possible.

So, what do you think? Should I continue working on this? What kind of information would you like to get out of it? I can't make any promises about how fast I will be able to implement new features - time is a somewhat limited resource on my part. But if you think it is interesting enough I will keep working on it.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
Do you keep a table with all the player names? I'm asking, because I noticed my player name is spelled wrong in White Water. Not that I mind, but it might be a problem when comparing players against each other in all tournaments.

I'm not too much into statistics, but direct comparisons between 2 players are quite interesting.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I think it's interesting! If it is fun for you to do and look at, keep it up. I'm sure others will find it interesting too. And with this next tourney we'll have even more info up on the results page for you to pull from.

Crepello55012

Jan 21, 2015
Well done ccl78. I love stats like these and the way they build over time. An average line might be interesting. Some way of tracking how you are doing month by month.
Brilliant work. Please do keep it up.:cool:

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
Interesting.

"Sometimes I just like to leaf through it too see how far we have come"; in my case I am hoping for an improvement in general placing - gotta work those shots!

I like it :)

ccl78

Oct 29, 2012
Do you keep a table with all the player names? I'm asking, because I noticed my player name is spelled wrong in White Water. Not that I mind, but it might be a problem when comparing players against each other in all tournaments.

I'm not too much into statistics, but direct comparisons between 2 players are quite interesting.

Yes, there is a table for the players and they are referenced by id. I feed the scores into the system by copy&pasting the results from the respective forum thread. The misspelling of your name has its origin there. When reading the data I look up the player by name (since it's the only information I have), but the method is not fault-tolerant. When the names don't match exactly they are treated as two different players. For now I will have to fix these things manually by deleting the "wrong" player and changing the references that pointed there.

Xanija

Staff member
May 29, 2013
I think it would be easier if you get an extract from the Google form with names & scores to import into your database. If SYT cleans it for spelling errors before giving it to you (yes, even players can spell their name wrong), you could limit the errors. On the other hand - since SYT will post directly from the file in future, those kind of errors shouldn't occur any more.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I'm actually going to have everyone's name selectable from a list when entering scores, so that spellings match what we already have. See how well that works this go around.

ccl78

Oct 29, 2012
That sounds perfect, thank you very much! This should eliminate spelling errors completely (or at least get them near zero).

ccl78

Oct 29, 2012
No, it's not dead - it's just pining for the fjords ;). Finally found some time to work on this little project. The player vs. player win/loss comparison is ready now. Just click on a player's name to view his statistics. It will first show all players he ever played against on the same table and in the same tournament (and by default in the same group, too - but this can be turned off). From there you can click on any one of the table cells to see the detailed scores of both players from that cell in comparison.

Locksley

Jan 2, 2015
What! I lost against VikingErik, that can't be right :p

Super nice tables you put up there, really helps getting into tournament mode.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Nice visual representation! If there was a 3rd color, for when you are tied in win/loss with the other person, that'd be even better. Good stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.