Where should randomness be inserted into ball movement physics?

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I've seen interesting points of view on these fora about where randomness can be inserted into ball movement physics and where it shouldn't be. There are those who think absolutely every movement should be as regular as clockwork, and those who enjoy a bit of unpredictability tossed in all over the place.

First of all, I'm wondering if indeed there is any "randomness" (i.e. effects partially governed by pseudo-random numbers genereated within the application) anywhere within The Pinball Arcade. Or, are the "random" effects simply a high degree of precision calculated as a result of a spinning round object hitting another round object. Ask any baseball fan. A spinning round object (the ball) being hit by another round object (the bat) creates all kinds of unpredictable effects that can easily be perceived as random and can have dramatically different outcomes on the game (fair or foul, caught or in play, etc.). FarSight would have to weigh in on whether pseudo-random numbers play a role in determining their physics (if that isn't a corporate secret).

Next, if indeed psuedo-random numbers play a role in governing the physics of the ball, where would it be appropriate that they do so?

The best objection to the use of "randomness" that I've heard would be on balls entering, traveling along or exiting ramps, loops, orbits, habitrails, channels, turnarounds, inlanes, outlanes, etc. Even in real life, the behavior of a ball should be reasonably predictable as it travels along and interacts with these features. Yes, the spin of the ball and its momentum may cause it to have small variability, but there is hardly the need to add extra unpredictability to enhance gameplay.

The best argument FOR the use of "randomness" would be eject holes and auto-plunges. In these cases, if they produce a ball that ALWAYS behaves the same way, it seems to detract from the realism and the enjoyment of the game. Think what it would be like if an auto-plunged ball in Medieval Madness ALWAYS hit the exact same rollover for the "Skill Shot". Not much skill involved, is there? Or think of the eject hole near the top of Scared Stiff. This doesn't ALWAYS behave the same way, but imagine if it ALWAYS went back up to the deadheads. These days (at least on an iPad), it already does it enough to seriously menace the enjoyment of the game. It would be a travesty if it did that even more reliably. Remember that when a ball enters an eject hole or is about to be auto-plunged, it typically has lost any of its spin or momentum, so you couldn't rely on that to provide any variability to the ball's action. (EDIT: In response to a post below, I thought of the example of the top eject hole in Firepower. The ball ALWAYS comes back through the "R" rollover. There's no way it should do that so consistently. This is an instance where a soupcon of randomness could be helpful.)

The other reason to defend the use of pseudo-random numbers in eject holes and auto-plunges has to do with the mechanical nature of them. It's quite plausible that a mechanical feature on a real table will not fire off with precisely the same force every time whereas its digital re-creation might. This seems like a reasonable justification for adding "randomness". The same argument could even be extended to slingshots, jet bumpers and other features that reflexively react to the ball by pushing it away with mechanical force.

Where this argument gets murkier is with sharp corners and posts. These features don't have a mechanical element to them in real life, so the justification mentioned in the above paragraph doesn't apply. However, a ball coming off of them can't react too predictably either as they certainly don't in real life. In real life, the precision of the ball and the sharp corner or post is down to the quantum mechanical level. I would hardly expect FarSight's physics engine to calculate precision to that level. However, the precision should be very small indeed. And, to the extent that behavior within one angular "pixel" of this precision of the digital object isn't calculated, it's reasonable to add a pseudo-random number to resolve any plausible action that would be calculated within that lowest precision. The better the precision, the better the game and the less need for that type of "below the grain" randomness. However, this precision is a matter for the physics engine software developers to decide on a platform-by-platform basis.

While not strictly a "round object" phenomenon, I think this same principle applies to manual plunges as well. The greater the precision of the plunge (subject to UI limitations), the better the game, but as above, randomness could account for variability at a grain lower than that precision.

Then we have the flippers. Like the eject holes, auto-plunges, slingshots, and jet bumpers, they are mechanical devices, so one could argue that randomness is justified. However, these specific devices are special in that they are the primary things that the player uses to interact with the game. Unpredictable behavior from the flippers, may make users think the game is merely a game of chance, and discard it. A bit more predictability from the flippers gives the player a feeling of control that is quite important for the user experience. Perhaps randomness at a level lower than the precision of the digital objects as described above could be justified, but giving the player a sense of control over the flippers is far more important than that of other features of the table. I'd hesitate to use "randomness" with them.

The last point would be the nudges. Right now, the nudges seem to be a bit binary. Either you nudged or you didn't and the nudge always seems to be about the same amount. I doubt that players can nudge with quite that level of precision in real life, so some randomness does seem warranted here. However, I'm sure some expert players will disagree and claim to be able to nudge real life tables with very high precision. For touch nudging, I think some randomness is needed so as to not allow players to begin to use nudging in as reliable a fashion as the flippers. But, for nudging initiated by accelerometers in mobile devices or console controllers, some less binary concept of nudging seems like it could provide a better level of control. Even then, a bit of randomness below the level of the UI's nudging precision could be warranted.

I would especially love anyone with knowledge of the physics engine (and the authority to speak about it) to chime in with the whys and wherefores of randomness being inserted into the physics algorithms.

I like a game where I feel as if I'm in control, but where unpredictable things can and do happen and I have a chance to try to meet those challenges. What are your thoughts? Where do you come down on randomess versus clockwork-like predictability? Did I miss anything?

Last edited:

Tom

Sep 9, 2012
The physics shouldnt be truly random imo, i think if they got ball spin right in the engine it would make the game a little more unpredictable

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
In general I think there should just a tiny, pretty much imperceptible amount of random deflection to every ball collision--not enough to be noticeable in any single collision, but enough to make it so that as the ball careens around the table, the accumulation of tiny little variations from each bounce mean that it will end up following a slightly different course every time.

DeeEff

Feb 28, 2013
I think FarSight should model the pinball machine and everything associated with it (table wobble, playfield wear and subsequent increases of its coefficient of friction, ball oxidation, atmospheric properties (temperature, pressure, and humidity), etc.) at the quark level. No randomization needed; it'll be as real as it gets. :p

Seriously, I think they've done a great job overall, with a few missed attempts at randomness (e.g., arbitrarily "random" orbit exits et. al.)

Any noticeable refinements to randomness will certainly be met with negativity from the "Why did you change that? It was perfect!" crowd, as well as the "You didn't change it enough!" crowd.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
In general I think there should just a tiny, pretty much imperceptible amount of random deflection to every ball collision--not enough to be noticeable in any single collision, but enough to make it so that as the ball careens around the table, the accumulation of tiny little variations from each bounce mean that it will end up following a slightly different course every time.

That sounds a bit like the "under the grain" randomness I mentioned above. And, yes, I'd say that is mostly welcome except on the flippers themselves.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
I think FarSight should model the pinball machine and everything associated with it (table wobble, playfield wear and subsequent increases of its coefficient of friction, ball oxidation, atmospheric properties (temperature, pressure, and humidity), etc.) at the quark level. No randomization needed; it'll be as real as it gets. :p

Seriously, I think they've done a great job overall, with a few missed attempts at randomness (e.g., arbitrarily "random" orbit exits et. al.)

Any noticeable refinements to randomness will certainly be met with negativity from the "Why did you change that? It was perfect!" crowd, as well as the "You didn't change it enough!" crowd.

It's true. Any wholesale changes to ball behavior will attract a chorus of critics. And indeed, if the physics engine renders the digital objects on the table at a high enough resolution so that the motion of the round ball hitting a round or curved surface is unpredictable (as in the baseball example), then no randomness is necessary. I'm mostly concerned with features where the ball's spin and momentum are killed, and then the ball is moved without user input (i.e. eject holes and auto-plunges). For instance, I shouldn't know that when a ball is ejected from the top eject hole of Firepower that it will ALWAYS come back through the "R" rollover, but I DO know that's what will happen. Here, randomness could help.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I think the slingshots need tweeking mainly the tops when a ball coming from the right hits the top it rarely rebounds back to the right and go left as if it were a flat bouncy object if it reacted like 2 round objects you would get more randomization also the ball droping straight down on them seems to almost always bounce towards the outlane, after playing real pinball this immediately became appearent now it bugs the hell out of me.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
I think the slingshots need tweeking mainly the tops when a ball coming from the right hits the top it rarely rebounds back to the right and go left as if it were a flat bouncy object if it reacted like 2 round objects you would get more randomization also the ball droping straight down on them seems to almost always bounce towards the outlane, after playing real pinball this immediately became appearent now it bugs the hell out of me.
This is one that really bugs me too.

neilpinbot

Apr 4, 2012
A slight variation on power from eject holes would be welcome IMO. I have not played TZ in ages, it bugs me that every single ball eject from the slot machine hits the right flipper every time with the exact same speed and angle to dead pass and easy catch on the left flipper. I would like to at least have to judge if the ball has enough speed to dead pass and if so can I catch it. But as it stands its a no brainer. The same goes for most eject holes on most TPA tables.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
A slight variation on power from eject holes would be welcome IMO. I have not played TZ in ages, it bugs me that every single ball eject from the slot machine hits the right flipper every time with the exact same speed and angle to dead pass and easy catch on the left flipper. I would like to at least have to judge if the ball has enough speed to dead pass and if so can I catch it. But as it stands its a no brainer. The same goes for most eject holes on most TPA tables.

Another good example.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Except when something is broken, I am rarely surprised by the actions of the ball on a real table. When a virtual table does something truly random I think it sticks out like a sore thumb.

warh0g

Jan 3, 2013
It is all in the ballspin tbh. Playing on my Jack*Bot I see behaviour that I at first found weird (TPA damaged perhaps?) and later you realize what is going on with the ball, depending on how it hits drop targets, flippers, slingshots and so on. It would add a great deal of difficulty for "casual" players tho. I would welcome it with open arms.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
It is all in the ballspin tbh. Playing on my Jack*Bot I see behaviour that I at first found weird (TPA damaged perhaps?) and later you realize what is going on with the ball, depending on how it hits drop targets, flippers, slingshots and so on. It would add a great deal of difficulty for "casual" players tho. I would welcome it with open arms.

Actually, I'm quite curious how ball spin plays a role with the physics engine. I mean, obviously it should play some role, but now that I think of it, I don't really remember seeing much in the way of "English" on the ball in The Pinball Arcade. Has anyone else?

Sean DonCarlos

Staff member
Mar 17, 2012
Actually, I'm quite curious how ball spin plays a role with the physics engine. I mean, obviously it should play some role, but now that I think of it, I don't really remember seeing much in the way of "English" on the ball in The Pinball Arcade. Has anyone else?
The physics engine does not currently incorporate ball spin. FarSight once attempted to include ball spin in the current engine, but the spin effect always ended up completely dominating the movement of the ball in an unrealistic way, so they took it back out. Bobby King has stated in one of his interviews with Jeff that they'd like to take another go at it, but there is not even a hint of when or if that might happen.

jbejarano

Jul 6, 2012
The physics engine does not currently incorporate ball spin. FarSight once attempted to include ball spin in the current engine, but the spin effect always ended up completely dominating the movement of the ball in an unrealistic way, so they took it back out. Bobby King has stated in one of his interviews with Jeff that they'd like to take another go at it, but there is not even a hint of when or if that might happen.

Hmmm. Does sound like a thorny issue. Much of the unpredictability inherent in real life pinball is generated by that spin. Sean, do you have any insights into the use of pseudo-random numbers playing or not playing any part in governing ball movement?

Carl Spiby

Feb 28, 2012
There is an argument for not implementing ball spin, that is that because it can look unrealistic, people who don't play may feel that the physics are not accurate.

Just look at the complaints the orbit loop on AFM caused on the forum.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
That sounds a bit like the "under the grain" randomness I mentioned above. And, yes, I'd say that is mostly welcome except on the flippers themselves.

Ah yeah, good point--I wouldn't randomize the ball coming off a flip.

There is an argument for not implementing ball spin, that is that because it can look unrealistic, people who don't play may feel that the physics are not accurate.

Just look at the complaints the orbit loop on AFM caused on the forum.

I don't know, I think if you did it right it would look realistic. Put some faint scratches or whatnot on the surface of the ball so you can tell it's spinning. The complaints about the random orbit kickout on AFM were made because it is physically impossible for such a thing to occur in real life.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
Ah yeah, good point--I wouldn't randomize the ball coming off a flip.

I don't know, I think if you did it right it would look realistic. Put some faint scratches or whatnot on the surface of the ball so you can tell it's spinning. The complaints about the random orbit kickout on AFM were made because it is physically impossible for such a thing to occur in real life.

They don't really need to work too much on the look of the ball spin. Ball spin is not readily apparent in real life by looking at the ball except at low ball speed (movement speed not spin speed). Spin has a subtle effect during much of play but at times it can make a significant impact on game play. I think it will be very difficult to get that subtlety in a game.

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
Where randomness is good.

1) Jet bumpers
2) slingshots
3) eject holes
4) kickouts
5) rebounds off a standup. they tend to settle somewhat randomly, so the rebounds off them should not be quite so predictable.
6) ramp rejects. these can be rather unpredictable in real life.

Where there should be no randomness.

1) drop targets. these are very reliable to bank off off.
2) Manual plunges. if you pull the plunger to the exact same spot, it should go to the same place.
3) AUtoplungers, in some cases. T2s shouldn't be random. Or at least not random enough to mess with the skillshot. the standup rebonud provides the randomness here.
4) High SPeed 2's kickback. it should reliably kick the ball straight into burn rubber. But for most a small amount of randmness is a godo idea.
5) orbit feeds.
6) cannons, like T2 or STNG

And, a special case...

FLippers. The EOS switch tends to wiggle a bit after a flip, which will cause the mysterious variation in flipper strength that makes those hard shots so difficult in real life. But this should be implemented by the flipper power starting to oscillate when you release the flipper before settling on the original strength. It sohld be a bathtub curve, wit the wakest or the strongest possibel flip usually what happens unless you wait 10 seconds.

Spin, unless it's truly extreme and the table is dirty, doesn't affect ball trajectory much, just like on a pool table. but is significantly affects the direction of the rebound. and again the ball will tend to pick up a random small amount of sidespin out of a scoop kickout.

Members online

Members online