White Water stopped working after 1.15 update?

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
Replicated the same problem. Game freezes when activating White Water with PS3 output set to 1080p--setting to 720p fixed the issue.

Gordonomics

Jul 19, 2013
White Water can't be played on my Vita for a long time either, plays the Totan music on the menu screen and just gives me a black screen when started up..
Can't change resolutions on the Vita, so no workaround ti be had.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Hi MonkeyGrass,

That's strange, as we had the same "feeling" about the lag.

I didn't play in 720p since the lag has started to be reduced in 1080 resolution, a couple of updates ago.

In the tournament, I didn't experienced lag on MM and BK in 1080i (on the contrary, I find that the ball goes crazy now, i.e. hard to control, like in 720p).

In 1080i, CFTBL has some lag (but a lot less than before), I will check in 720p.

I still cannot play the game in 1080. Ball action (and flying around the table) are physics engine tweaks, not flipper lag. Perhaps we are talking about two different things? I'm talking about timed cradle shots, where you are trapping the ball and then let it roll down the flipper until the end... I either have to "guess" early, or risk the ball rolling off the end of the flipper half the time. Beyond the trapping - it's almost impossible to react to a ball flying down the inlane in time, I lose balls like this constantly in TPA and rarely does that happen on a real table - the flipper just will not react fast enough to hit or toss it to the other flipper. Also, trying to respond to a slightly off post-pass or anything that requires using both flippers to "juggle" the ball is nearly impossible because every stroke is *just* a hair late, and when you are talking about saving a ball or juggling it like that, the lag is obvious.

The "improvement" I saw was in 720p, and it's still far from perfect. I still have yet to see anything get truly better at 1080 in regards to the flipper lag. Some tables are fine, some OK, and some flat out unplayable (for me) - just like it has always been. Then again, I know I'm rather attuned to it. I play and maintain real pins every single day and I use a lot of flipper manipulation as part of my game. I lose about 20-30% of my "skills" because none of that translates to TPA very well. It's really more about learning the repeatable behaviour aspects of the tables and exploiting that for high scores, IMO.

As I said, I have some faith that these issues will eventually get straightened out. Just seems strange that so many bugs get past QA, and then can't be "repeated" on FS's console. At this point, I'm more curious about their PS3 setup, than anyone else's. They must have some "magic" PS3 that doesn't show bugs lol.... wish I had that model!! :)

Tann

Apr 3, 2013
I'm talking about timed cradle shots, where you are trapping the ball and then let it roll down the flipper until the end... I either have to "guess" early, or risk the ball rolling off the end of the flipper half the time. Beyond the trapping - it's almost impossible to react to a ball flying down the inlane in time, I lose balls like this constantly in TPA and rarely does that happen on a real table

Oh, I see. It happens to me too. It's like the ball is accelerated in the inlane and when it rolls on the flipper (obvious on MM and CFTBL). I think it's more a physics problem, which makes the lag more noticeable. It happens on HD too, but it's ok, as it happens on the real table too.

The "improvement" I saw was in 720p, and it's still far from perfect. I still have yet to see anything get truly better at 1080 in regards to the flipper lag.

I tested every season one tables, yesterday night. In 720p, then in 1080i. There's still a difference concerning the lag, but so tiny compared to before. The only table that are still more or less unplayable in 1080i are ToTAN and Rbion for my part (it's like the ball is heavy as hell). Even CFTBL and TZ are OK now.

The only big diffrence I see is the graphics quality in 720p, a lot worse than in 1080i on my TV. :p

It's really more about learning the repeatable behaviour aspects of the tables and exploiting that for high scores, IMO.

Yes, you're absolutly right. But, it's the same problem on every digital pinball games, which become very predictable as long as you play...

They must have some "magic" PS3 that doesn't show bugs lol.... wish I had that model!! :)

Yeah, kind of funny sometimes. 50+ people (and more) report the same bug and FS: "We are not able to reproduce it". LOL They really have a DE-BUG console! :D

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
I still cannot play the game in 1080. Ball action (and flying around the table) are physics engine tweaks, not flipper lag. Perhaps we are talking about two different things? I'm talking about timed cradle shots, where you are trapping the ball and then let it roll down the flipper until the end... I either have to "guess" early, or risk the ball rolling off the end of the flipper half the time. Beyond the trapping - it's almost impossible to react to a ball flying down the inlane in time, I lose balls like this constantly in TPA and rarely does that happen on a real table - the flipper just will not react fast enough to hit or toss it to the other flipper. Also, trying to respond to a slightly off post-pass or anything that requires using both flippers to "juggle" the ball is nearly impossible because every stroke is *just* a hair late, and when you are talking about saving a ball or juggling it like that, the lag is obvious.

The "improvement" I saw was in 720p, and it's still far from perfect. I still have yet to see anything get truly better at 1080 in regards to the flipper lag. Some tables are fine, some OK, and some flat out unplayable (for me) - just like it has always been. Then again, I know I'm rather attuned to it. I play and maintain real pins every single day and I use a lot of flipper manipulation as part of my game. I lose about 20-30% of my "skills" because none of that translates to TPA very well...

Excellent description, you're not alone in feeling that sensation of sloppy flippers on some tables more than others.

I should note in relation to the main topic, I've had a couple of PSN contacts that don't post here ask if I knew what was wrong with White Water since it keeps freezing on them. I feel like all I can tell them is that its happening to a lot of people and Farsight is aware it. It seems like its affecting most people in one way or another.

Last edited:

Sloppyballs

Feb 4, 2014
White Water stopped working after update

Replicated the same problem. Game freezes when activating White Water with PS3 output set to 1080p--setting to 720p fixed the issue.

Mine also. Press x to go to Whitewater and console freezes up. I don't want to play in 720 when all other games work in 1080.

PARALAX

Oct 3, 2013
Same for me! I did have strange problems with a complete freeze after saving the score with the previous updates (since 1.06 I believe) but the table was playable at least. Now the PS3 freezes even after selecting the table! Fairsight still deny that there is any problem but the fact is that there are a bunch of people like me having this issues and they're just not able to fix this since more than 6 months. This is not a bugfix, this is a bug ADDING feature and totally sucks. This is even more annoying because it was one of my most favourite table because I like playing it on the original.:mad:

Edit: I admit that it's working in 720p and it also seems to save the score without a freeze (didn't try this with previous versions before in this resolution until I found this thread). It really seems that there is a general lack of ~200 Milliseconds after pressing the L1/R1 buttons but it seems that it's not depending from the resolution. At least for me it's the same lack with 1080p or 720p, tested with another table (Attack from Mars). Glad that I can play this table again...thanks guys! I'm hoping for a 1080p fix nevertheless.

Last edited:

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Same for me! I did have strange problems with a complete freeze after saving the score with the previous updates (since 1.06 I believe) but the table was playable at least. Now the PS3 freezes even after selecting the table! Fairsight still deny that there is any problem but the fact is that there are a bunch of people like me having this issues and they're just not able to fix this since more than 6 months. This is not a bugfix, this is a bug ADDING feature and totally sucks. This is even more annoying because it was one of my most favourite table because I like playing it on the original.:mad:

Edit: I admit that it's working in 720p and it also seems to save the score without a freeze (didn't try this with previous versions before in this resolution until I found this thread). It really seems that there is a general lack of ~200 Milliseconds after pressing the L1/R1 buttons but it seems that it's not depending from the resolution. At least for me it's the same lack with 1080p or 720p, tested with another table (Attack from Mars). Glad that I can play this table again...thanks guys! I'm hoping for a 1080p fix nevertheless.

Calm down, Farsight have never denied there is a problem. If you read their posts on this issue they are very actively trying to reproduce and fix it.

DoX

May 3, 2013
@ Tann

I'm sorry, but in my opinion, when part of game doesn't work it IS a broken game. WW worked just fine 'till 1.13 update, then after 1.13 WW freezes when you make a local high score and won't display instructions, and after 1.16 (latest) you can't play it at all. I tried once before to change to 720p but the game looked like crap on my 42" screen. So I don't want to bother with it.

And it's easyer to say it's Sony's fault than to actually fix the problem. I do realize Sony doesn't make the job easyer for FS, but they already should overcome that. As I said, the game is on the market long enough for FS to learn to cope with Sony's limitations and rules.

Anyway, I made a decision to buy Season 3 on PC. FS made a great job there, the game plays and looks much better, the "feeling" is just as it should be. And I didn't noticed any major bugs yet. Struggling with PS3 version doesn't make any sense for me anymore, but I still hope they'll fix it up someday.

Tron

Jul 8, 2012
I agree.

Farsight made the game not Sony. Useless blaming the console maker they put the platform and its rules and regulations out there months if not years before this game was even considered. If the game had been developed in a less cockhanded manner it could have run as smooth as Zen's platform.

Last edited:

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
It was tann who put Sony at fault earlier in the thread. And in some ways it is true. The problem is that they can't replicate it if they just start throwing code at everything without knowing the cause then nothing good will come of it.

I'm almost convinced that Sony has two different chips et throughout all their revisions. Otherwise I wonder what different system configs might be causing this. And it could be some ridiculous sounding difference like is the machine connected via wireless or not, or some other setting that could seem unrelated.

I somehow doubt that everyone who has said it's running fine is only running at 720p. And while that seems to be the workaround it needs to be clearly stated.

First thing people should check if they can is to find out if it works on the PS3 default settings and if maybe different firmwares are being used. Anyone feel like factory reset? Is it possible without wiping the drive contents? Clear cache? They will need some guidelines on system configs, revisions and whatnot so they can set their systems up to recreate this.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
It was tann who put Sony at fault earlier in the thread. And in some ways it is true. The problem is that they can't replicate it if they just start throwing code at everything without knowing the cause then nothing good will come of it.

I'm almost convinced that Sony has two different chips et throughout all their revisions. Otherwise I wonder what different system configs might be causing this. And it could be some ridiculous sounding difference like is the machine connected via wireless or not, or some other setting that could seem unrelated.

I somehow doubt that everyone who has said it's running fine is only running at 720p. And while that seems to be the workaround it needs to be clearly stated.

First thing people should check if they can is to find out if it works on the PS3 default settings and if maybe different firmwares are being used. Anyone feel like factory reset? Is it possible without wiping the drive contents? Clear cache? They will need some guidelines on system configs, revisions and whatnot so they can set their systems up to recreate this.

There are less drastic things that can be done first that I recommended someone try when this issue first came up. No one seems to be willing to do it and I'm not having the issue. In the PS3 recovery menu there are two options that I'd like to see someone try. They are #3 Restore File System and #4 Rebuild Database.

If I was having the problem I would have already done these and then we'd know but I don't so I didn't and we don't know. :D

PARALAX

Oct 3, 2013
No and even deleting the savefiles doesn't help. Unfortunately you can't delete or deinstall part of the game/tables. You have to uninstall and download the whole game once again! I didn't try that yet but I don't think that will help since Fairsight still claims on Facebook that they can't reproduce this issue. So we still have to wait until they get one of the affected consoles for testing. Isn't there anyone who could send an affected PS3 to their studio? ;)

DoX

May 3, 2013
I tried downloading the table again from PSN and reinstall it, but it didn't help at all. Same problem persists.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
No and even deleting the savefiles doesn't help. Unfortunately you can't delete or deinstall part of the game/tables. You have to uninstall and download the whole game once again! I didn't try that yet but I don't think that will help since Fairsight still claims on Facebook that they can't reproduce this issue. So we still have to wait until they get one of the affected consoles for testing. Isn't there anyone who could send an affected PS3 to their studio? ;)

Can you or someone else with the problem please try one of the following options?

There are less drastic things that can be done first that I recommended someone try when this issue first came up. No one seems to be willing to do it and I'm not having the issue. In the PS3 recovery menu there are two options that I'd like to see someone try. They are #3 Restore File System and #4 Rebuild Database.

If I was having the problem I would have already done these and then we'd know but I don't so I didn't and we don't know. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts