BlazBlue Crosstag Battle
Ultra Street Fighter IV
Killer Instinct
Mortal Kombat X

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Went ahead and picked up the Hori Fighting Commander and I'm digging it so far. Also really liking SF Alpha 2.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I'll check em out.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Dreamcast emulation is a pain in the arse, so I focused on getting the PSP verison of SF Alpha 3 running in Retroarch instead. Turns out it doesn't like any shaders, so that's why it wasn't working for me before.

World Tour mode is pretty snazzy.

I really need to work on my super combos. I'm pretty hit or miss with them right now. They're not as easy as they look on paper heh.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I’ve only tried them briefly in the arcades years ago, but I do have all in my mame collection so I’ll have to give them another whirl. Which would you recommend specifically?

Currently I’m going nuts trying to get the Alpha special combos down consistently. Is there a trick to them that I don’t know? For Ryu’s, do you lift your thumb off after the first Hadouken motion, or quickly slide it down to do the 2nd motion? I seem to only be able to do it with the latter method, and like 25% of the time. Maybe I should just roll with V-ism for now haha.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
The latter is better. Once you get comfortable with it your success rate will increase. You can utilize negative edge in SF games as well. Negative edge is essentially entering a command with a button release. Try doing a hadouken with it. Press and hold punch, do the QCF input, and release punch right at the moment you'd normally press it. It can be fun to play around with once you get used to it, makes inputs faster.

It's hard to pick favorites for the SNK series, the average level of quality is pretty high for all of them.

For KoF '98 is probably the overall most popular and a fantastic game, one of my favorites as well. I'm also partial to XI as a Duck King fan.

For Fatal Fury the afformentioned Garou: Mark of the Wolves is the overall most popular and probably best, but Special, Real Bout 2 and Real Bout Special are all top fighters too.

For Samurai Shodown you'll wanna go II, IV, or V Special.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Great post, thanks man. I’ll file all this away for later.

One other thing I had trouble with is the custom combos in Alpha 2. I read that you’re supposed to hit PP+K or KK+P to activate when you have a lvl flashing, but even when I have lvl 3 maxed it doesn’t seem to work, or it sometimes activates randomly. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
As I'm sure you know, All of the steam fighting games eventually go on sale for cheap. SFIV Ultra and Injustice and others are no exception. You can get Injustice Ultimate edition complete for like 3-4 bucks on sale and that's totally worth it. I'm waiting for Injustice 2 to drop down myself.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Great post, thanks man. I’ll file all this away for later.

One other thing I had trouble with is the custom combos in Alpha 2. I read that you’re supposed to hit PP+K or KK+P to activate when you have a lvl flashing, but even when I have lvl 3 maxed it doesn’t seem to work, or it sometimes activates randomly. Not sure what I’m doing wrong.

Yeah, not sure what's going on there. That is the correct activation method. You should be seeing it work at least sometimes. And it certainly shouldn't be activating randomly.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
As I'm sure you know, All of the steam fighting games eventually go on sale for cheap. SFIV Ultra and Injustice and others are no exception. You can get Injustice Ultimate edition complete for like 3-4 bucks on sale and that's totally worth it. I'm waiting for Injustice 2 to drop down myself.

I heard NRS puts really good single player content into their games. I’ll have to scoop some up in the next sale.

Yeah, not sure what's going on there. That is the correct activation method. You should be seeing it work at least sometimes. And it certainly shouldn't be activating randomly.

Yeah, maybe something screwy is going on with my Retroarch control config or something.

I think I figured out my Super Combo issue. I was kinda doing a reverse hadouken on my way back to the second motion instead of just going straight to down.

Thanks again for all your help and recommendations. Really appreciate it.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013
Anybody know if there's a way to make the slider settings stick for vector games?

It didn't save my settings for Asteroids after I quit the game.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
I’m on the road for a few days so I bought KoF 98 on my iPhone. The touch controls are surprisingly not as awful as I anticipated.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
I’m on the road for a few days so I bought KoF 98 on my iPhone. The touch controls are surprisingly not as awful as I anticipated.

You're a braver man than I. That's pretty cool though. How are the touch controls implemented? Just visual dpad and buttons on the sides?

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
You're a braver man than I. That's pretty cool though. How are the touch controls implemented? Just visual dpad and buttons on the sides?

Exactly, which sounds a bit awful in theory. But the thing that makes it playable is they added an optional SP button that, combined with a directional input, will do a special move on demand. Definitely takes the frustration out of it, and while it’s certianly no substitute for a proper controller, it’s at least a cool distraction while away from home or even while sitting on the throne :cool:.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Bit late to this thread, but there is some interesting questions and topics in here.

Personally I 'hacked' a Super Nintendo Classic for my emulation needs, including a flashdrive for the roms etc. As frontend, I use the Snes-mini UI and for emulation I use Nintendo's own SNES-emulator (Canoe, the same emulator they use for virtual console) for my SnesRoms (it has very low latency). I use Retroarch for everything else (Mame, Neogeo, and other 16 bit consoles + PSX). I use a Wii Pro controller on it. Great little setup.

My Go To's are SNES games and arcade puzzle battlers (Money Puzzle Exchanger is my family's favourite), together with SHMUPS (both the Metal Slug variety as well a the 1942/3/4 R-type Lifeforce kind). But basically I have everything on there.

Can confirm that SSF2 on MAME is tough as nails. The AI on SNES is not nearly as brutal. SSF2 Turbo on MAME is the most grueling I’ve come across. Gotta keep the kiddos pumping in those quarters heh.

The EU and US SSF2/SSF2 Turbo + Ultimate are notorious for cheating AI. The AI actually reads your controllerinput and counters said inputperfectly. Plus it does moves that a human player physically can not (ie: forward walking Sonic Boom). Intersting read of it here

Instead, play the Japanese Releases of HF, Turbo or Super. The AI is fine in it. I just tend to use Hyper Street Fighter 2 AE (Japan). As it has all characters from all versions.

My personal favourite is Streetfighter Alpha 2. Or specifically Streetfighter Zero 2 Alpha (released as SF Alpha 2 Gold on PS2). But I'm generally not great at fighters. Not sure if I've seen it mentioned here, but have you tried Garou: Mark of the Wolf?

Last edited:

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Speaking of Alpha 2 Gold, Jeff, are you sure that isn't the version you've been playing? In A2G you activate CCs with HP+HK and it costs 1.5 instead of 1.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
What are some of your favorite non "classic" arcade titles? I realize "classic" is somewhat subjective, but there are the early big games that everyone looks for (PacMan, Galaga, Centipede, Donkey Kong, etc.) and then there are the games that came after when the boom happened. These are a few of mine.

Super Contra
Bank Panic
Sky (Flying) Shark
Rush n Attack
Crystal Castles
Elevator Action
Rolling Thunder

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Back when I played around with MAME, my go-to games were:

Mr Do! (is this a "classic"? not sure...)
1942 (played it a ton in a pub I used to frequent)

One game I wasn't able to find on MAME (or could I? maybe I did? dunno) was one called Super Locomotive. I played the heck out of that one summer back in the 80s and got seriously good at it. It was gone next summer...

And there was some top-down multi-directional "arena" shooter that I really liked, that had these metallic relief graphics, whose name I didn't even know at the time I was playing it. I remember the enemy bullets were these small yellow/green bubbles and it got pretty hectic, and bosses would sometimes crop up by "slamming" together in the middle of the screen. I think maybe I found that on MAME once, but I still don't remember what it's called.

How is MAME these days, just for running on a PC without messing with building/purchasing any kind of cab / controller? Will it work with an X360 controller?

Members online

Members online