Who here plays MAME and other Emus?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Just finished adding all the SNK games I deemed worthy (so many good ones).

I’ll post a video soon of how it’s coming along.
Are we talking SNK published/developed games or games for the neogeo. If its the latter, please tell me money puzzle exchanger is in there!

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Can’t wait to see it Jeff �� I’m interested in creating a similar setup myself

Are we talking SNK published/developed games or games for the neogeo. If its the latter, please tell me money puzzle exchanger is in there!
[MENTION=2028]kimkom[/MENTION] right on man. I should have something to show in the next couple days. I want to have it finished by the time my brother comes to visit this week (he’s flying in from michigan and we’re gonna have some fun :cool:).

[MENTION=358]bavelb[/MENTION] SNK developed arcade games for now, but I added it the general arcade list (thanks for the recommendation). I’ll also probably be adding a new geo emulator too...which begs the question: from what I recall, weren’t all the neo geo games basically exact replicas of the arcade versions? Or were there some console exclusives? Just wondering if it’s worth emulating if I have all the arcade versions already.

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Yea Money puzzle exchanger is, together with windjammers, the best vs. multiplayer on neogeo if you arent into fighters so much (I like em, just crap at em). Its my favourite head to head puzzler, together with Tetris Battle Gaiden (think versus Tetris with puzzlequest-like spells...its for super famicom and awesome).

With a certain custom neogeobios attached to your emulator you can even switch between arcade and homesettings on the fly on the same rom. You can even swap regions doing that (certain games have different options/characters between regions).
As a rule of thumb though Arcadesettings are best due to unlimited credits yeah.

e: remembered it. Its called Unibios. And should work fine on whatever you are emulating on. It runs perfect on my SNESmini.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Tetris Battle Gaiden sounds really cool. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I'll have to bust it out when my brother gets here.

For the NES - N64, I'm just gonna roll with the complete rom sets for now and then maybe thin them out as I go.

For Gamecube and newer, gonna hand pick since the file size is an issue when every game is 1 GB on up. I already have quite a few GC games in Dolphin, so that makes it easier. Wii games are huge, but really only a few that are worth playing without a wiimote (mario kart, new mario bros, maybe donkey kong country returns...let me know if you think of anything else).

Trying to decide how all in I want to go on PS1 and 2. What would you guys consider to be essentials?

Last edited:

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Castlevania SotN, Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2, Final fantasy tactics and a WHOLE bunch of jrpgs if you are into those (I am). Theres too many to list...Grandia, Xenogears, Chronocross.

For ps2...Dark Cloud 2.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
There aren't too many to list at all.

-Suikoden 1-2
-Final Fantasy VII, IX, Tactics, Origins, Anthology, Chronicles
-Wild Arms 1-2
-Dragon Quest VII
-Legend of Legaia
-Xenogears
-Koudelka
-Tales of Destiny 1-2
-SaGa Frontier 1-2
-Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
-Ogre Battle: The March of the Black Queen
-Legend of Mana
-Threads of Fate
-Star Ocean 2
-Front Mission 3
-Persona 1, 2: Eternal Punishment
-Vagrant Story
-Valkyrie Profile
-Vandal Hearts 1-2
-Vanguard Bandits
-Arc the Lad Collection
-Lunar 1-2
-Parasite Eve 1-2
-Grandia
-Alundra 1-2
-Thousand Arms
-Breath of Fire 3-4
-Kartia: The Word of Fate
-Azure Dreams
-Brigandine

FFVIII, CC, LOD and various others not listed on purpose.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Pretty much everything else. Fighting, Action, Platform, Arcade, Adventure, Racing, Strategy...I do like RPGs too, but as for JRPG, I got a bit burnt out on the early FF, but I’d probably enjoy something different and deeper. Maybe if you narrow it down to like the 2-3 best that I could try?

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Pretty much everything else. Fighting, Action, Platform, Arcade, Adventure, Racing, Strategy...I do like RPGs too, but as for JRPG, I got a bit burnt out on the early FF, but I’d probably enjoy something different and deeper. Maybe if you narrow it down to like the 2-3 best that I could try?
Of the PS1/2 JRPGs, FFIX would be my choice. IMO it's aged better than VII and VIII especially graphics wise and it has the best soundtrack and characters.

I'd also go for Tony Hawk 3.

If you can get it, Raiden Project.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Suikoden II, Vagrant Story and Grandia would probably be what I'd toss out. All are among the best on the system. Suikoden II and VS are quite a bit different than FF. Maybe check out gameplay videos and see what you think. Grandia is a more traditional jrpg, but has a better combat system than any FF game.

Some of the ones I listed are arpgs or srpgs. Not sure if you're burned out on that sort of stuff too.

Well since you said platformers, here are some recs for that:

Klonoa
Tomba! 1-2
Jumping Flash! 1-2
Pandemonium! 1-2
Croc 1-2
Spider: The Video Game
Wild 9
Bugs Bunny & Taz: Time Busters
Toy Story 2
Hercules
Tarzan
Skullmonkeys
Heart of Darkness
Silhouette Mirage

Didn't bother listing the big name stuff. PS1 had a really rich platformer library.

kimkom

Jan 28, 2013

Jeff, are you planning on including any older systems, such as C64, Amiga and Spectrum?

bavelb

Apr 16, 2012
Here is my currated list (plus a little showing off of my setup) of everything I wanted on there PS1 wise. I ignored most platformers as I really dont like that firs gen polygon look on those.

Just ignore the jrpgs in there. Oh and the video is muted due to my wife talking over skype lol

Last edited:

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Tetris Battle Gaiden sounds really cool. Thanks for the heads up on that one. I'll have to bust it out when my brother gets here.

For the NES - N64, I'm just gonna roll with the complete rom sets for now and then maybe thin them out as I go.

For Gamecube and newer, gonna hand pick since the file size is an issue when every game is 1 GB on up. I already have quite a few GC games in Dolphin, so that makes it easier. Wii games are huge, but really only a few that are worth playing without a wiimote (mario kart, new mario bros, maybe donkey kong country returns...let me know if you think of anything else).

Trying to decide how all in I want to go on PS1 and 2. What would you guys consider to be essentials?

You can compress Wii DVD rips down to smaller file sizes. Some work really well, but many don't, New Super mario is a great example - 5 gb for a DVD rip that compresses to something like 300mb.

As for must plays. Honestly, I was knee deep in PS1 and PS2 games as they came out and while there are thousands, many of them don't translate as must plays now. Lots of annual sports and racing releases. Another problem with early 3d games is, even with the graphical upgrades from modern emulators, you're still stuck with camera or controller systems that can make the games unplayable if you're used to modern standards. Most of the really good series either have PC versions or better Xbox or PS3+ or HD remakes already out there too. Metal Gear series, God of War, Resident Evil series,Tomb Raider series, Prince of Persia Series, to name a few. That's why the RPGs are so popular though. Few have remasters and the control and camera is less important especially on turn based combat.

N64 and GC are pretty much the stopping point for me with emulation. Wii is same as GC but you've got to have a motion controller solution and that's just a barrier to play when you've got so many to already pick from I find.

I used the metacritic all time listings to jog my memory for suggestions. Links are below if you want.

PSOne - https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps/filtered
PS2 - https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps2/filtered

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
[MENTION=4106]EldarOfSuburbia[/MENTION] Yes I forgot to mention shmups. Also I love the first three Tony Hawk games.

[MENTION=6915]Citizen[/MENTION] Thank you, that list looks awesome.

[MENTION=2028]kimkom[/MENTION] I’m mainly sticking to platforms and consoles I owned and unfortunately I didn’t have any of those. Before I got an NES, my first system was an Atari 2600 and then a ColecoVision. I might add those, but I’m not so sure the games hold up very well, and many of the titles have better versions in the arcade. Definitely let me know if there’s something amazing I’m overlooking or forgetting about tho.

[MENTION=358]bavelb[/MENTION] Great video, man. Very helpful. That’s a pretty groovy setup you have.

[MENTION=5223]Narc0lep5y[/MENTION] Are you talking about the .dec format and NASOS? Or is there another format where the Wii games are actually playable in the compressed format? I had a really old version of Mario Kart and wanted to update it, so I got it in a .dec format, but had to decompress with NASOS before I could play it in Dolphin. It took quite awhile so I don’t think I’d want to do it every time, but maybe you’re talking about a different format?

Thank you for the lists too.

Here’s a list of Wii games I found that use standard controls, so let me know if you guys think any of these are must-haves:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games_with_traditional_control_schemes

Last edited:

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Dolphin will play compressed files. I think it’s isocompressor that works. I’ll check the file extensions when I get home but I know it’s in the Dolphin docs.

Also. Injustice. $4 to charity along with more included went on sale at humble store (steak key) today.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/wb-games-classics-bundle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk'

edit: LOL steam key. Steak key is too great not to leave in anyway. This is what happens when you post on mobile.

Last edited:

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Dolphin will play compressed files. I think it’s isocompressor that works. I’ll check the file extensions when I get home but I know it’s in the Dolphin docs.

Also. Injustice. $4 to charity along with more included went on sale at humble store (steak key) today.

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/wb-games-classics-bundle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet, I’ve been wanting Mad Max too, so that’s a helluva deal. Thanks man.

Yeah, I know it can play the standard 7z, zip, etc. Couldn’t get it to play .dec tho unfortunately which seems to be pretty popular.

Citizen

Oct 5, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't even know Wiki had a non-waggle Wii list. That's awesome, thanks Jeff.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
No More Heroes 2
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Klonoa
Nights: Journey into Dreams
A Boy and His Blob
Gradius/Contra/Castlevania ReBirth

Those stand out as worthwhile ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.