Why do so many like Space Shuttle?

GET

May 1, 2016
i know all of the split level tables have them (Black knight, jungle lord, pharaoh, solar fire, elektra and haunted house come to mind) as well as Firepower II.

invitro

May 4, 2012
I sure will love it if the USA gets back to the often space flights again 'soon'. This century is sad & pitiful (so far) eh.
I think space flights are gonna have to be privately funded from now on. Unless Russia becomes another USSR-level threat, which was certainly the reason for the USA's open-checkbook policy in the 1950's-70's. And I agree that this has been a rotten century/millenium.

invitro

May 4, 2012
Back in the 80's NASA and the space launches/missions in particular were such a huge deal in the US.
Yep. I was very interested in NASA stuff as a kid around 1980, and truly flipped out when my family took a vacation to the Space Museum (officially "U.S. Space & Rocket Center") in Huntsville, Alabama. I wanted to go to Space Camp so badly but my evil parents wouldn't let me.

640px-Alabama_Space_and_Rocket_Center_initial_building.jpg

The initial museum building was designed by Huntsville architect David Crowe in a style called "early blockhouse modern."

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
I think space flights are gonna have to be privately funded from now on. Unless Russia becomes another USSR-level threat, which was certainly the reason for the USA's open-checkbook policy in the 1950's-70's. And I agree that this has been a rotten century/millenium.

NASA has plans to send humans to Mars within 25years. There's a stationary InSight lander that it plans to launch in 2018. The next-gen rover that will succeed Curiosity scheduled for 2020

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
I'm convinced that a privately-funded manned mission will land on Mars before a government-funded mission. There's more drive to just get things done in the private sector, space is finally opening up to commercialization - the 2020s will see a huge boom in spaceflight-for-profit.

Ultimately it comes down to how quickly (reusable) single-stage-to-orbit launchers can come online. There's nothing out there even remotely close, so it's 15-20 years away at least, but making commercial spaceflight essentially the same as commercial air travel is today is the Holy Grail of the industry.

invitro

May 4, 2012
NASA has plans to send humans to Mars within 25 years.
Hasn't that been the case since about 1950? I'm no space expert, but I read The Right Stuff and one or two Apollo books earlier this year, and I think it was. This is also where I get the impression that NASA was given mega-funding because of the Cold War, keeping up with the Soviets.

I don't know if I support NASA funding at the 1950's-80's level right now. I don't think it's easy to say for sure if it's a good idea or not. But like everyone, I'm hoping one of these private ventures succeeds and a human walks on Mars before I die. :)

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
Hasn't that been the case since about 1950? I'm no space expert, but I read The Right Stuff and one or two Apollo books earlier this year, and I think it was. This is also where I get the impression that NASA was given mega-funding because of the Cold War, keeping up with the Soviets.

I don't know if I support NASA funding at the 1950's-80's level right now. I don't think it's easy to say for sure if it's a good idea or not. But like everyone, I'm hoping one of these private ventures succeeds and a human walks on Mars before I die. :)

No doubt that a privately funded entity would do it more efficiently. The US Gov does not have the money to spend. With close to 19 trillion in debt

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I just wanna see us put someone on the moon again. Floating around on the space station just doesn't come close to capturing the imagination as putting boots to dirt on a surface not Earth. It's gotten to the point where I need that to get excited about Mars being a possibility, because we need the reminder of what can be achieved.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
I just wanna see us put someone on the moon again. Floating around on the space station just doesn't come close to capturing the imagination as putting boots to dirt on a surface not Earth. It's gotten to the point where I need that to get excited about Mars being a possibility, because we need the reminder of what can be achieved.

I was 12 years old in July of 69. It was unbelievable to see that happen. It would be great for my grandchildren to witness what man is capable of besides destruction.

invitro

May 4, 2012
It would be great for my grandchildren to witness what man is capable of besides destruction.
This is a silly thing to say. Just one of thousands of examples: in the last (say) 35 years, Western science and engineering has increased the lifespan of most people born in the "third world" by I'd guess about 20 years (I'm sure the winning of the Cold War played a significant role, too). Nothing even remotely close to that large of an improvement in health, for that many people, has ever occurred. It actually probably dwarfs the moon landings in benefit to humans. I consider either that and Apollo to be the greatest achievements of humans. (The worst: Communism.)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Space travel, while glorious and awe-inspiring, is a terrible waste of resources. Fix the rock we're on now.

There are more resources in space than there are on this rock. Just, like, no fossil fuels, but because nuclear energy is somehow still the Big Bad, we're kinda screwing ourselves over. Not about to get into a climate change debate here (or anywhere) though.

Like I said, give it 15-20 years and there will be single-stage-to-orbit. Commercial spaceflight will equate to commercial air travel.

Fuseball

May 26, 2012
I consider either that and Apollo to be the greatest achievements of humans. (The worst: Communism.)

Ah, Communism. A noble concept but impossible to put into practice without going against many basic human instincts. I would argue that the worst achievement of humans is the enforcement of any ideology that claims to be the only truth to the point of eradication of all others, be the motivation political, racial or religious. Communism is but one of many, sadly.

Advances in medicine/sanitation are almost certainly the greatest achievement of the past century. Apollo, the greatest inspiration. It's still a symbol of what man aspires to be.

Back on topic - I remember Space Shuttle coming out at a time when pinball designs were becoming less and less ambitious. There was a back-to-basics ethos around '82-'84 that produced some of the dreariest pins I have ever played. Even multiball designs, which had been prevalent only a year or so earlier (Fathom, Centaur, Black Knight etc.) were becoming a rarity. Then came Space Shuttle, which was loud and fast enough to compete with the videogames in the arcade at the time. The shuttle toy was cool but it was the sound that did it for me. They even brought back the Black Knight doorbell! I think of it as being the first game of the alphanumeric era, even though it still has the older numeric displays. It felt like a step forward, mainly due to the ramps and the overall speed of the game. Also, it does that thing that popular games need to do sometimes - be a little bit easier so that even mediocre players can still feel good about themselves. :)

Baron Rubik

Mar 21, 2013
Ah, Communism. A noble concept but impossible to put into practice without going against many basic human instincts. I would argue that the worst achievement of humans is the enforcement of any ideology that claims to be the only truth to the point of eradication of all others, be the motivation political, racial or religious. Communism is but one of many, sadly.

Advances in medicine/sanitation are almost certainly the greatest achievement of the past century. Apollo, the greatest inspiration. It's still a symbol of what man aspires to be.

Back on topic - I remember Space Shuttle coming out at a time when pinball designs were becoming less and less ambitious. There was a back-to-basics ethos around '82-'84 that produced some of the dreariest pins I have ever played. Even multiball designs, which had been prevalent only a year or so earlier (Fathom, Centaur, Black Knight etc.) were becoming a rarity. Then came Space Shuttle, which was loud and fast enough to compete with the videogames in the arcade at the time. The shuttle toy was cool but it was the sound that did it for me. They even brought back the Black Knight doorbell! I think of it as being the first game of the alphanumeric era, even though it still has the older numeric displays. It felt like a step forward, mainly due to the ramps and the overall speed of the game. Also, it does that thing that popular games need to do sometimes - be a little bit easier so that even mediocre players can still feel good about themselves. :)

The return of communism will occur, it's been predicted by Baba Vanga, should be around 2076 if you're a calendar scribler.

It's not rocket science really, the West's time is declining, and America is starting to become seen as a superpower gone bad since their war on terrorism (or quest for oil). And whilst the divide between rich and poor grows, so will resentment and hatred.
After it all comes to a head, and the masses have turned on the minority, communism will probably make more sense.

Space Shuttle - I'm a big fan. I like the shots, simple rules and theme. It was and is a great table which I play a lot in TPA.

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
Yep great table, still holds up well now for a Season Two table, one of the better early TPA table conversions I reckon.
Multiball shots are a bit of a killer though, far too wide and therefore tricky? Or is it just me...

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
The return of communism will occur, it's been predicted by Baba Vanga, should be around 2076 if you're a calendar scribler.

It's not rocket science really, the West's time is declining, and America is starting to become seen as a superpower gone bad since their war on terrorism (or quest for oil). And whilst the divide between rich and poor grows, so will resentment and hatred.
After it all comes to a head, and the masses have turned on the minority, communism will probably make more sense.

Space Shuttle - I'm a big fan. I like the shots, simple rules and theme. It was and is a great table which I play a lot in TPA.

I'm thinking it will be more of a Kraterocracy Form of government

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
Space Shuttle is a fun and unique pin. Has the rich flavor of the early/mid 80s and some neat shots. It's really good when you just feel like shooting the ol ball 'round-like. But still has some great challenge.

Flight 2000 it may not be, but it's still got much of its own charm.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.