Wifey - Destroy Santa?

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
While playing a lot of PA pinball today in the virtual cabinet the wife who normally shows absolutely no interest whatsoever in Pinball asked me is the speech coming from the table saying 'Destroy Santa'. I told her it was actually saying 'Destroy Centaur' and that Centaur was one of my favourite Pinball tables and maybe one day she or Santa can surprise me one Christmas and buy me the real thing. Her response was 'oh right', and that was the end of our conversation on Pinball due to her complete lack of interest! The same goes for retro gaming / Mame /etc- she has no interest whatsoever.

It got me thinking is this the norm? Anyone have a partner who shares the hobby?

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
My wife will not play TPA with me. She thinks it is silly. But if we go to an arcade or a pin show, she will play pins all day. But we have totally different taste in which machines to play.

Jeff Strong

Staff member
Feb 19, 2012
Destroy Santa...hahaha...that's gold.

My wife is similar to Kolchak's. She'll play real pins, but isn't really into any video games, other than a few board game adaptions.

Clawhammer

Nov 1, 2012
My girlfriend likes pinball a lot- has pinball flipper tattoos and dressed up as Rudy for Halloween. Still not as obsessed as I am though!

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
My girlfriend likes pinball a lot- has pinball flipper tattoos and dressed up as Rudy for Halloween. Still not as obsessed as I am though!

Flipper tattoos - interesting :). We are all wondering where they are located but I am too polite so won't ask ;)

dtown8532

Apr 10, 2012
My wife will play real pins sometime and she does have TPA on her iPad with just a few tables. When she can tear herself away from Plants vs. Zombies she'll play a game or two of TPA. Otherwise, she couldn't give a crap about me talking about pinball.

Of note, if any of you are interested in "pinball and the wife" type stories look for the thread on Pinside. It's huge and full of good stuff. Heck, there was a thread written by a guy who's wife was a real b1tch and was divorcing him for hanging out with his friends sometimes to play pinball. He also owned some real tables which she wanted rid of. It was a legit story and pretty sad.

Good luck on the Centaur. I've been looking for one for years and IF I see one at a show it's always way too expensive.

Last edited:

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
My wife and daughter play TPA all the time. We also go out into the wild to play the real thing. One day while playing PHoF Williams for the PS3 a few years ago my daughter asked if real pinball machines make that much noise. That started our family quests to find and play the real machines. A couple of years ago we made it out to Vegas and spent most of our time at the Pinball Hall of Fame. We also like all sorts of other games. Board games, card games, video games, etc.

Naildriver74

Aug 2, 2013
I keep trying but she loves to read. We sit here sometimes she will be reading with earplugs and me bouncing around in the lazy boy playing TPA.
Destroy Santa

Heretic

Jun 4, 2012
for me itd never work if my gf or wife played.

simoky she coukd easily distract me anytime she liked heh.

unless its doctor who then she will shut up and sit and lookmpretty! grrrrrrrr

ahem,

im single..wonder why

Man-Machine

Dec 6, 2012
No chance with the wife but I've gotten my daughter hooked. She will only play AFM and FT, though, and only with me. She hasn't even downloaded TPA to her own Pad. This naturally means less playing time for me -not what I intended...

jaredmorgs

Staff member
May 8, 2012
While playing a lot of PA pinball today in the virtual cabinet the wife who normally shows absolutely no interest whatsoever in Pinball asked me is the speech coming from the table saying 'Destroy Santa'. I told her it was actually saying 'Destroy Centaur' and that Centaur was one of my favourite Pinball tables and maybe one day she or Santa can surprise me one Christmas and buy me the real thing. Her response was 'oh right', and that was the end of our conversation on Pinball due to her complete lack of interest! The same goes for retro gaming / Mame /etc- she has no interest whatsoever.

It got me thinking is this the norm? Anyone have a partner who shares the hobby?

It wasn't until I used headphones on Centaur that I understood the call that sounds like "So hearty" is actually saying "Slow, aren't you". I can see why your wife was confused.

My wife will only play freemium junk, as she doesn't believe in paying for games. Even when I gave her a $20 Google Play gift card, she asked for the cash instead.

night

May 18, 2012
My wife does not like pinball. Me either, it took me 1,5 years to find out this wasn't the bowling forum.

Trenchbroom

Apr 20, 2013
My wife LOVES TPA. In fact, we are planning on playing every table tonight as a "tournament".

Rather do that than suffer the bar scene for New Years Eve! She's great.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012
No chance with the wife but I've gotten my daughter hooked. She will only play AFM and FT, though, and only with me. She hasn't even downloaded TPA to her own Pad. This naturally means less playing time for me -not what I intended...

She might try Medieval Madness if you pointed out all the similarities between it and Attack From Mars.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
My wife sees zero reasons for why virtual pinball is any fun. She has played a few games of real pinball, but that's it.

Buzz1126

Dec 27, 2013
My wife won't play pinball with me, virtual or otherwise. But the funny thing is, right after we got married (and the were still arcades around) she would play "Asteroids" and that video game where you drove and hit stick people, and left crosses at their point of demise. "Death Race" or something like it.

And she liked to play "Dungeons and Dragons" on my IntelliVision console. But that was it. Now, there's an upcoming Expo nearby, and my son and I are preparing here for and actual, honest to God physical machine. It's a job, but we're making progress...

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
I think I've ruined my wife liking pinball. One such occasion is the Ms. Splosion Man table on FX2, she got like 80 million and was pretty pleased, until I got 330M on it.

She likes FX2 because it's so easy, she'd lose her mind with PA.

Members online

Members online