Will High Resolution textures be include for PC Season 1 and 2 games in DirectX11 ?

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
That's my biggest pet hate for No Good Gofers, the playfield (particularly backlit parts) and some of the other artwork look terrible IMO.

You can't read the text, the compression artifacts are glaring at 1080p and it seems the table they scanned has major decal burn from the bulbs that I would think they would find a way to touch-up. The "Trap Ready" decal looks particularly messed up, in fact I never knew what it actually said until I looked for photos of the table.

Although I feel almost all tables need some work done around the playfield parts which are backlit. They just don't look like a decal with a bulb in a recess behind, all the details are missing due to the brightness of the bulbs. The photography just seems very poor compared to some community stuff I have seen.

Couldn't agree with you more.

Retron

Oct 31, 2013
I honestly don't need 4K, as you only notice the true difference either with a monitor over 60" or you happen to be sitting really close. .
You need to try it.

Having moved to 4K last year on my main PC, all I can say is that regular 1080 screens look like a fuzzy mess now. Similarly there's a massive difference between 1080p video and 4K video - the latter is almost like looking through a window it's that sharp.

4K is *crisp* when it's on a 28" screen - you have to look carefully to be able to spot the pixels. Whereas on a more typical 24" 1080 monitor (such as on my second PC and the one at work) you can easily see the individual pixels.

Games look simply stunning in 4K and Pinball Arcade (at least on the newer tables) is no exception. Added to which, Windows 10 does a good job of handling high-DPI screens.

It'll all be moot in another couple of years, anyway, as 4K will be mainstream.

mpad

Jan 26, 2014
It was a bit short sighted from farsight to make ordinary photographs in the first place, just because they didn't need or couldn't handle higher resolution at the beginning. Scanning would have been the right way to do it. You should always aim for the highest resolution for the reproduction original. You can always downsample and compress later, not the other way round.
With the current strategy they have to take apart the machines every two years when a better camera comes out and mobiles can handle higher resolutions.
IF they want to be on par with current standards, of course.
And they could do redraws, but this is a time consuming and therefore costly thing. Maybe license already existing awesome community stuff?!

At least they changed to a better camera with season 3 and quality greatly improved.
Would love to see this for pre season 3 tables. As mentioned above it really sucks if you can't even read the inserts or text on the playfield if you zoom in...

francis247uk

Jul 7, 2012
I would be interested to know when they upgraded their camera - I think it might be around the time of BSD, remember thinking how much sharper that table appeared than previous ones.

I wouldn't say they were short sighted, just sounds like they did the best with the equipment they had at the time.

I also imagine that they have naturally gotten better and learned various ways to improve at photographing/scanning as they've done more and more tables - what works well, what doesn't etc.

Ultimately I think it's reasonable to want the same level of quality as you get on some of the high res screenshots on IPDB to whats in-game; I can't imagine the enthusiasts who upload their pictures have significantly better equipment/settings then what Farsight have.

The first couple of seasons had some great tables so would be great to see them bought in line with the current standard.

Last edited:

Kratos3

Sep 22, 2013
We're any of those tables using the playfield scans from PHoF?

That would be not very surprising.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts