Will we get a warning for license expirations?

pyroxian

May 25, 2012
I have bought the Double Dragon Trilogy app and Smash TV is an in game app purchase on Midway Arcade on iOS. Probably part of the reason Double Dragon or Smash TV are no longer available on XBox Live.

The original arcade version of Double Dragon was taken down because the company who published it (Empire Interactive) went out of business. I think that affected their port Speedball 2 as well.

9u1d0

Jan 7, 2013
Twilight zone and Star Trek are three years and t2 was 2 years

So i guess we won't see those tables in the tournaments when the licences have expired. New players would not be able to play them in the tournaments....

SqueakyG

Apr 20, 2012
I think some of the confusion with Steam comes from purchasing DLC via the store vs purchasing it in game with Steam wallet funds. IIRC, if you purchase it from the game by using the wallet, it doesn't list those purchases as DLC in your Steam library. When TPA launched on Steam, the wallet was the only way to purchase extra tables.

This is interesting. I just checked my Steam purchases. I must have bought season 1 in-game, and I recently bought season 2 from the store page.

Steam totally recognises that I have season 2 as a DLC pack: it's listed in the right-click properties as DLC, and the store page says "You already own this". However, Steam doesn't recognise that I have season 1 at all.

I wonder if this could cause any disadvantage? If I need to install everything on another PC, would both season 1 and 2 install correctly?

Eek!

Nov 5, 2013
This is interesting. I just checked my Steam purchases. I must have bought season 1 in-game, and I recently bought season 2 from the store page.

Steam totally recognises that I have season 2 as a DLC pack: it's listed in the right-click properties as DLC, and the store page says "You already own this". However, Steam doesn't recognise that I have season 1 at all.

I wonder if this could cause any disadvantage? If I need to install everything on another PC, would both season 1 and 2 install correctly?
You still have Season 1 as a fully-fledged Steam (DLC) purchase, recognised internally within the client; it's just not shown in the traditional and most sensible way. I'm the same with the first two, and the third is listed. That both Farsight and Valve haven't come up with an adequate solution to this after many, many months (and hide from the subject) is a little shaming, though, and I certainly expected more.

Firefox2000

Apr 18, 2013
Pretty sure if the PS Store shut down all my content would still work on my PS3.

Nintendo's licensing system is not a good thing overall. I've spent three or four figures on 3DS eshop games (it's how I entertain myself on the long bus to work), and if my 3DS gets lifted... game over. Literally.

From what I understand they are slowly moving away from this model, though. I think some people have managed to transfer their purchases after they lost their 3DS.

Yeah Nintendo's DRM is a total nightmare to go through as i just found out, Wii-U became faulty a few months ago, sent it to Nintendo to get fixed, it got lost by the courier, and without the console serial number or the console Nintendo stead fast refused to help, no console or serial number, it would not matter if i bought a new Wii_u, they would not unlink my NNID, so no getting back my paid for, and sizable digital library bought on the machine, plus all my original Wii digital content that i transfered from my original wii was also gone.

Three months back and forth with them, email's and letters, phone support was a joke, although the are simply call center staff reading off a screen with no actual powers in this matter, even got my local trading standard involved, i had given up all hope and was about to get rid of every Nintendo product in the house never again to purchase, and i let them know that in my last email.........bang...last week a email, they had unlinked my NNID from the lost console and i was no free to link it to anew one and gain back a vast collection of pricy digital goods.

But you can bet no more digital buying on any Nintendo system, not while the present customer punishing, frustrating, jump and dance for me you silly customer, fiasco that is Nintendo DRM at present.

My advice to all, any console of any kind you have from Nintendo, write down and store away the serial number and any other numbers just in case from these devices, because god forbid if the unforeseen happen, you are at the mercy of Nintendo.

Oh and another little fantastic bit of Nintendo news i just found out, i had bought the Wii-u fit meter, and low and behold, it is linked to the old console, cannot be unlinked in any way other than via the old console, so a nice £30 paper weight there.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Keep in mind what Nintendo has to try to do there - avoid a scammer stealing someone else's Wii content. If they make it easy for you to recover your content that way, then a bad guy could also "recover" it out from under you by claiming the Wii account is his and the console got lost.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
Not to mention that if Nintendo tries to collect any personal information, they can be violating a LOT of child privacy laws. And "personal information" includes an email address. Basically asking a child for their name or anything is against the law.

The only thing is that is changing is Nintendo Network which is optional so children can still use it without having personal information collected, or you can sign up and get some flexibility in moving stuff around.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Not to mention that if Nintendo tries to collect any personal information, they can be violating a LOT of child privacy laws. And "personal information" includes an email address. Basically asking a child for their name or anything is against the law.

The only thing is that is changing is Nintendo Network which is optional so children can still use it without having personal information collected, or you can sign up and get some flexibility in moving stuff around.

But you need a credit card to buy things from the store, so if you have purchases you must be an adult.

Worf

Aug 12, 2012
You don't need a credit card. You can just pick up a gift card in a store. $5, $20 gift cards are sold in any electronics and toy stores for Nintendo systems.

Parents typically give them as gifts to their kids to spend any which way.

(Hell, even I don't use my credit card when buying from PSN, Xbox Live, OR Nintendo).

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
You don't need a credit card. You can just pick up a gift card in a store. $5, $20 gift cards are sold in any electronics and toy stores for Nintendo systems.

Parents typically give them as gifts to their kids to spend any which way.

(Hell, even I don't use my credit card when buying from PSN, Xbox Live, OR Nintendo).

Hm, still. I don't think that's an issue. This seems to be based on a naive assumption that all of Nintendo's customers are kids, and all of Sony and Microsoft's customers are adults.

Members online

Members online

Latest posts

Latest posts