You say no more Gottlieb, I say no more Data East/Sega

karl

May 10, 2012
Ok. I'll admit that most Data East/Sega tables are a little better than most of the Premier tables (not to be confused with the earlier Gottlieb tables. Many great tables from Gottlieb in the late 70'/early 80')

But here is what I am getting at:

Most of the Data East/Sega tables seem to have really boring rules

All the Data East/Sega tables already in the App I find extremely boring, yet people keep asking for more of them.

Is it me there is something wrong with? Is it just that Farsight has chosen the worst of the bunch so far? (I have not played that many in real life but the only ones I have enjoyed a little is Guns 'n' Roses and Tommy)

There was a lot of talk about Last Action Hero before it came out. Finally a big title Data East, etc. I find that the layout is ok, but it is still really, really boring to play. The rules are just as boring as any Premier. Data East just copy Williams better when it comes to layout ;)

Would love to hear what others have to say about this. Is it just me??

PS! I love Flight 2000, so more old Sterns, yes ,yes :)

EldarOfSuburbia

Feb 8, 2014
Well, okay, but they have to do Jurassic Park as a send-off, then they can walk away. Deal?

I'd like Seawitch, that's for sure.

Meteor looks kinda interesting too, if only for that artwork?

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
For me most Data East and Sega games have an expiration date. They usually have a good theme and sound package. That seems to be enough to get me into them. But I seem to tire of them after getting more plays. Not sure if it's the layouts or the rules.
There are some exceptions, such as Tommy. Really enjoy that one. Others I haven't played enough to know if I'm still in the honeymoon stage, like GnR, Robocop, Godzilla, or Goldeneye. My limited experiences with these were positive for me.

Last edited:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
There really are some good Data East tables out there, especially Tommy. Would like to see a few more Data East games made.

karl

May 10, 2012
For me most Data East and Sega games have an expiration date. They usually have a good theme and sound package. That seems to be enough to get me into them. But I seem to tire of them after getting more plays. Not sure if it's the layouts or the rules.
There are some exceptions, such as Tommy. Really enjoy that one. Others I haven't played enough to know if I'm still in the honeymoon stage, like GnR, Robocop, Godzilla, or Goldeneye. My limited experiences with these were positive for me.

The expiration date thing is exactly how I feel, also. They look great in the beginning but it goes from excitement to utter boredom really fast for me, when it comes to those already in the app.

I have heard some good things about Goldeneye and Godzilla, so if there is to be any more Sega titles, I route for those. Tommy and Guns are probably the only Data East tables I would look forward to. I would take almost any 80', unlicensed tables before any other Data East/Sega tables

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Maybe 3 more Data East games I'd like to see.

Tommy, because Pinball Wizard reference

Jurassic Park, because of high ratings for Data East game

Checkpoint, because it's historically significant in that it's the first DMD game

karl

May 10, 2012
Maybe 3 more Data East games I'd like to see.

Tommy, because Pinball Wizard reference

Jurassic Park, because of high ratings for Data East game

Checkpoint, because it's historically significant in that it's the first DMD game

The first dmd? I am all for the "doing all the important history tables", but this feels a little bit tainted. Williams started with dmd before Data East. Data East heard about it and rushed out Checkpoint. It is still the first dmd. I will not take that from them. But since they were not the first to think of it, I will not give them the salute, standing ovation, either.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
Unfortunately we'll probably never see a lot of the DE tables due to licensing. Of course it would also be said that the rulesets (for the most part) are too shallow. We will probably never see LW3, SW or GNR as much as I enjoy all of them. There are a good number of DE clunkers.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
I was never a fan of DE or Sega tables back in the day. They were terribly cheap feeling machines that had perpetually weak or broken flippers. And yeah, not the deapest or most interesting of rules.

Jurassic is fun simply by having a mirror of Whirlwinds layout. I like GnR mainly due to the music, but it's got some oddball shots. Things like Lethal Weapon 3 and Robocop are boring after 15 minutes.

CycOd3liC

Feb 28, 2012
That's kinda how i felt about POTO but it grew on me. GNR is a very odd table and as much as I don't like the "big 3" songs due to radio abuse, it's still a hella entertaining table. No arguments on JP, it's a great table.

superballs

Apr 12, 2012
I know I'm in the minority, but I really want South Park.

I know it's not the greatest table, but the theme more than makes up for the rest. And the table is good enough to be fun.

vikingerik

Nov 6, 2013
Unfortunately we'll probably never see a lot of the DE tables due to licensing.

This. Farsight isn't picking what DE tables are most popular or satisfying, they're picking what's feasible with the licensors.

While we're wishcasting Sega: Space Jam. That's an underrated gem that would have fit right at home in the 90's Williams lineup.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
I like any table.what Eldar said about Seawitch and Meteor is spot on.tables from 1980 to 1985 especially Bally and Stern were the best visual tables and the most fun !!!my fave are the EMs and i like all the latest tables,but that period from 1980 to 1985 was A1 !!!:cool:

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
Sounds like the Zen version.

Both Zen South Park tables put the Sega game to shame.

I could live without more Sega tables, although I do like seeing more manufacturer diversity in the line-up.

These Data East tables, however, are awesome and better than most of the Premieres:

Guns n Roses
WWF Royal Rumble
Tommy
Rocky and Bullwinkle

There's a decent number of DE pins I've yet to play, actually...

Ben Logan

Jun 2, 2015
I like any table.what Eldar said about Seawitch and Meteor is spot on.tables from 1980 to 1985 especially Bally and Stern were the best visual tables and the most fun !!!my fave are the EMs and i like all the latest tables,but that period from 1980 to 1985 was A1 !!!:cool:

Plus one!

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.