Your thoughts on Whirlwind (PS3 & Vita)

ScotchYeti

Apr 13, 2012
What's your impression so far?

I tried the Champion Pub on iOS and didn't like the theme (it's a matter of taste). I am really interested in Whirlwind though. Is it worth getting the pack because of this table or are there any annoyances one should be aware of?

Amazing how every PS3 release makes you hope that nothing is screwed up...

Kemetman72

Banned
Sep 12, 2012
Whirlwhind is a favorite of mine as well as Earthshaker. I think some of the outlining on the arrow-shaped lines needs straightening and smoothed out, but it plays quite well for me. And on both releases the shots of the outside of the cabs need improved and still the selection screens from the "My Table" views need to be much higher-res and sharper, but overall another great from Lawlor. The magnets seems to work as I remember them as well. Overall a really great pack for me. It only takes me 30 seconds or less for the update so that doesn't bother me, but it might some? Remember it used to be close to 342 megs an update.

MonkeyGrass

Jul 11, 2013
Whirlwind is awesome, hands down one of my favorite Lawlor tables. Also, this was a table that was at the bar my guitarist worked at all thru HS and I got LOTS of play time on this thing in my pinball heyday (oohhh 'bout 20 years ago lol).

The WHOF version was good, and so is this one. Two thumbs up from this guy!

starck

Jun 7, 2012
CHAMPION PUB: maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the plunger button on PS3 doesn't work correctly. if i pull it back and hold it, it should begin to cycle through options on the DMD for the various skill shot(s). can someone confirm whether or not this is a bug/or user error?

on my iphone, i can just keep my finger pressed on the screen and it cycles through the skill shot on the dmd just fine...

Gorgar

Mar 31, 2012
CHAMPION PUB: maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the plunger button on PS3 doesn't work correctly. if i pull it back and hold it, it should begin to cycle through options on the DMD for the various skill shot(s). can someone confirm whether or not this is a bug/or user error?

on my iphone, i can just keep my finger pressed on the screen and it cycles through the skill shot on the dmd just fine...

Are you using the X button or the right joy stick? On the tables that have a launch button instead of a plunger, you can use the x button. On the few games that I have played of CP, I have held the x button when launching and it worked fine. I never tried the right joystick.

brakel

Apr 27, 2012

This Is the Whirlwind thread. You might want to ask a mod to move it over to the Championship Pub thread.

starck

Jun 7, 2012
^what he said. Derrr. Sorry. Someone pls move?

(For what it is worth, I found that holding the x button allows you to cycle through the options)

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
Plays really well. The colors are a little off on the backglass looks kinda green and the table seems too white? or not blue enough.

SKILL_SHOT

Banned
Jul 11, 2012
I see the leaderboard is hacked....git the dam mobiles off my leaderboard!
kinda wish the blue inside the cabinet was BLUE

Rudy Yagov

Mar 30, 2012
Plunges up the ramp. Supposed to go around the inner loop instead. This was a problem on Android as well.

Also, on Vita, the display on the cabinet appears to only show the top line, stretched to the size of the full display.

Otherwise not too bad. One of the better Vita releases. I didn't notice any obvious "stitching" that a lot of Vita tables have.

Last edited:

ER777

Sep 8, 2012
Whirlwind definitely plays nice and fast. The spinning discs along with that general speed keep the ball times very reasonable. The wizard goals weren't too hard though. I think I'll end up playing it quite a bit in the long run.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I see the leaderboard is hacked....git the dam mobiles off my leaderboard!
kinda wish the blue inside the cabinet was BLUE

LOL yeah saw that some lonely score of 345b or something ridiculous. Anyways, there was a lot of number on that #1 spot. Most of the time I base it on the monthly standing on how well i do. I'm usually top 100 and some top 20.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
So far I like it better than the real life table. The real one looks kind of cheesy. : P

Baramos

Aug 18, 2013
I like it a lot. I need to get the hang of it, but once I do I think I'm going to like it almost as much as Taxi. They have a very similar feel in their gameplay to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.