Your thoughts on Whirlwind (PS3 & Vita)

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
Whirlwind definitely plays a lot different than the WPHOF version.
I have more trouble hitting the ramp shot. For some reason I either hit too early or too late and never had an issue before.

I also have issues with the plunger which makes it hard to get the skill shot.
On a few ocassions the plunger cam was stuck in the normal game mode cam so I had to shoot it blindly.

The colors are a bit muted and it doesn't pop.
The music and sound effects sound as if they were recorded from the speakers, but that may be how it is. It's been years since I've played a real Whirlwind machine.

Championship Pub is fun. The table looks and sounds excellent.
Sometimes hitting the bag/boxer results in a SDTM, but that's probably how it should be?

I am having a lot of difficulty getting even close to the 30 jumps in a row on the jump rope.
Has anyone gotten this and If so do you have any tips? It just doesn't seem accurate enough to get that many. The most I've been able to get so far has been 16.

shogun00

Dec 25, 2012
Whirlwind definitely plays a lot different than the WPHOF version.
I have more trouble hitting the ramp shot. For some reason I either hit too early or too late and never had an issue before.
This is actually a little more realistic to the real machine now. The ramps are hard to hit in real life and so is the Extra Ball target.

I also have issues with the plunger which makes it hard to get the skill shot.
It's the same as the real machine. It's pretty difficult to hit those drop down targets with the plunger.

The one thing that does need to be fixed though is the ramp shot with the plunger. The ramp is too steep for the plunger to make a clean shot in real life. Usually the plunger will hit the mini-orbit. I think it only happened twice where the ball actually hit the ramp, but it only went half way up before it recoiled back.

The colors are a bit muted and it doesn't pop.
The music and sound effects sound as if they were recorded from the speakers, but that may be how it is. It's been years since I've played a real Whirlwind machine.
I actually played the real machine a couple weeks ago at the local amusement park. The audio itself is fine, but it appears that the ROM's volume is set on the low end. The amusement park had the volume really cranked up on the machine though.

I agree with you on the colors. They look a little dull compared to the real machine.

Last edited:

spoonman

Apr 20, 2012
It's the same as the real machine. It's pretty difficult to hit those drop down targets with the plunger.

The one thing that does need to be fixed though is the ramp shot with the plunger. The ramp is too steep for the plunger to make a clean shot in real life. Usually the plunger will hit the mini-orbit. I think it only happened twice where the ball actually hit the ramp, but it only went half way up before it recoiled back.

I actually meant how sometimes when you pull back the plunger and let it go it misses the ball, or barely touches it. I used to have that happen on the other tables too, but I thought they had them fixed until I noticed it happening again.

smbhax

Apr 24, 2012
I actually meant how sometimes when you pull back the plunger and let it go it misses the ball, or barely touches it. I used to have that happen on the other tables too, but I thought they had them fixed until I noticed it happening again.

That has never been fixed on any table.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
I like this table. It heaps extra balls on you, which I have to admit I'm fond of. And it's interesting to see the similarities between this and later Lawlor tables. Such as the cellar holes, upper flipper ramp shot and having two bumper clusters (I always thought RBION was the only table to have that, but it's obviously a throwback to Whirlwind. Aside from that, the shots are satisfying, and the rules are pretty varied for an earlier table, so I look forward to getting into this more.

Members online

Members online