Zen Pinball FX3 Williams Pinball Volume One

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014
Just tested some stuff with this new build...

I like the post passing, that feels good. Everything else about the flippers is a step backward.
-- The rubber of the flipper is too dead now, which makes controlling the ball even easier than it already was from the private beta build to the public beta.
-- I was able to live catch here and there previously, but now it's a bit too easy.
--Hate to say it but weight of the ball on the flipper now feels like regular Zen table physics, leaden.

There's gotta be a happy compromise to what is happening. No, we don't want the ball bouncing halfway back up the table off a held flipper, but we do need to maintain the wild nature of trying to keep a ball under control. Maybe that comes with increasing the traction the spin of the ball has when coming in contact with rubber? So fast ball with lots of spin, hard to handle, spin of the ball is what makes it bounce higher off the rubber, not the rubber itself? I don't know. I just don't like that the table feels easier now.

I agree with your analysis 100% Shutyertrap. I am sure Zen along with the community's help will dial in the physics to be as close to the real thing as possible. The 1st beta they put out, the physics were so different from their other pins I was amazed. The physics engine they have seems to allow them to do whatever they want. I am not worried one bit about the physics. What I am having a panic attack about is the fact that they are editing the ROMs to make the pins "family friendly". This is a colossal mistake. This will completely ruin the games for me. I am not sure I will buy them if they do this. I don't know what influence you have on Zen but please do everything you can to advocate against this. It should be an option to turn this on or off but not make it mandatory.

Narc0lep5y

Feb 21, 2015
Just speculating here but during this Beta all tables are free and there's no process for the consumer to confirm or acknowledge that the beta content is anything rated higher than the current product rating. They might be stuck and forced to keep it Fam friendly mode to stay within the current product ratings classification until they actually resubmit the DLC to ESRB For ratings reclassification.

from ESRB ratings Process page

DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT
Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
It’s not an edit to the ROMs, it an actual setting Williams did on a few titles. That being said, I will absolutely raise a stink about it when we talk to Zen’s Mel Kirk this weekend for the podcast. There are many solutions for handling this and keeping their ESRB rating, we just need them to realize how important that is to the community.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
It’s not an edit to the ROMs, it an actual setting Williams did on a few titles. That being said, I will absolutely raise a stink about it when we talk to Zen’s Mel Kirk this weekend for the podcast. There are many solutions for handling this and keeping their ESRB rating, we just need them to realize how important that is to the community.
Chris I`ve noticed Zen hasn`t given a release date , that`s good news to me . I think Zen wants a good discussion going on until things get worked out , ratings , physics and anything else . by the way your youtube 148 with Jared was a beauty !!!:cool:

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012

Backed up, actually playing MM on Family Mode on TPA at one point. I manually set up that during stream at one point, and it had the same CENSORED content.

BostonBuckeye

May 3, 2014

Thank you very much Shutyertrap. I really appreciate everything you do to promote and improve digital pinball. I will tune in for your podcast with Mel. Should be a good one.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Chris I`ve noticed Zen hasn`t given a release date , that`s good news to me . I think Zen wants a good discussion going on until things get worked out , ratings , physics and anything else . by the way your youtube 148 with Jared was a beauty !!!:cool:

I've heard them say they purposely didn't put a release date on it yet as they want to get this to where most are happy first, not patch later.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
I've heard them say they purposely didn't put a release date on it yet as they want to get this to where most are happy first, not patch later.

Plus I wouldn't think that it will be too soon after the Star Wars Solo packs releasing tomorrow. I do recall them saying they want two packs released before the end of the year.

Pinballwiz45b

Aug 12, 2012
Actually, I just had a thought.

They have the gall to bring in pinball tables based off of Bethesda, Fox, and Telltale properties, but they censor animations from real life pinball games that they're converting?

DOOM has weapons and actual combat on the playfield. Even Son of Zeus has combat with Hercules against a snake. I just don't understand.

TPA's MM had family mode turned off when it was released back in 2012. E10+.

PHoF's MM had family mode turned off back in 2009. E10+.

Zen: Don't screw this up. I know these games look so good, but please.

Last edited:

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
Actually, I just had a thought.

They have the gall to bring in pinball tables based off of Bethesda, Fox, and Telltale properties, but they censor animations from real life pinball games that they're converting?

DOOM has weapons and actual combat on the playfield. Even Son of Zeus has combat with Hercules against a snake. I just don't understand.

TPA's MM had family mode turned off when it was released back in 2012. E10+.

PHoF's MM had family mode turned off back in 2009. E10+.

Zen: Don't screw this up. I know these games look so good, but please.

A++++++ Yes!

ImperiousStout

Aug 28, 2017
Is anyone out there going to take a shot at doing a free camera type mod for FX3?

The view options on my current display setup (9:21) are terrible, plus it crops off the sides of the tables and playfields which is a huge flaw.
I'll never understand why the developers of these games won't give the players the choice to display the tables in the manner that best suits their preferences and individual setups.

shutyertrap

Staff member
Mar 14, 2012
Is anyone out there going to take a shot at doing a free camera type mod for FX3?

The view options on my current display setup (9:21) are terrible, plus it crops off the sides of the tables and playfields which is a huge flaw.
I'll never understand why the developers of these games won't give the players the choice to display the tables in the manner that best suits their preferences and individual setups.

Because then they have to account for every possible angle anyone could possibly use in case some sort of display problem crops up.

wolfson

May 24, 2013
boys and girls , I have the biggest smile on my dial !!! I haven`t seen such great discussion for such a long bloody time ,how good is that ? !!!!:cool:

Zaphod77

Feb 14, 2013
I think they should have family mode on when having it off would affect the rating, and allow parents to keep it on, but there shoudl almost always be a way to turn it off. here's my take.

Family mode on Scared Stiff. this shold default on, but it's absolutely essential that we be allowed to turn it off. That game is just not the same without all the innuendo, which woudl go right over someone's head who won't appreciate it. "I'm having multiple jackpots!"

Medieval Madness. Honestly not sure tey shodl even bother having family mode on here.

Bride of Pinbot. TPA didn't bother family modeing this, but it's not so essential to not subdue it. but let peopel turn it back.

Creature from the BLack Lagoon. Turning this off disables the fatality in the boxing video mode! Leave it off.

not sure which other games have family mode.

Plungemaster

Apr 19, 2018
**** family modes in pinballgames! Kids these days rather play cod or resident evil cutting legs off with chain saws. And the parents can’t have tits and swearing on their pins... insane!

Members online

Members online