Zen Pinball - Star Wars

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Didn't actually like the "scene" system from TESB. Too much variety in the shots, found it way too complex for a pinball game. Shame it's back. Oh well, there will be a table in the pack that I love as much as Boba Fett, I'm sure :)

SilverBalls

Apr 12, 2012
It diverts more and more from Pinball with every table. Although it is fantasy pinball don't people think they take it too far? I would rather see the old tables on Steam like the one that was a bit like black knight.

DrainoBraino

Apr 11, 2012
Got em! Only had time to play Return of the Jedi, and it's cool! So much to do, and typical Zen, a game can last forever. This table has a little nudge game in the left outlane a la Wizard of Oz, so that's neat.

I'm gonna try out the Starfighter one next. It looks simpler than Return of the Jedi.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Any of our PS3 friends play them yet? Care to share a first impression?

In typical Zen fashion, Yes the games last longer but it's so fun. Personally my favorite is the Starfighter Assault table. I've finished the 4 missions but having trouble with the 5th.

I find the Darth Vader far more easier to keep the ball in play. Cool missions. The florescent Blue and red balls in one of the multi-balls can be distracting but still fun.'

ROTJ I think is pretty cool. A but more difficult as The slings were tweaked for more elasticity and it's a good thing. Scene 5 where you shoot at Vader be careful as he pushes the ball back in random ways. Sometimes drains right away. Like another poster mentioned the outlane nudging game is in effect. Great pack although the games last way too long. Good thing there is a save feature.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Just got them on PS3. The tables seem to get more and more complex each time. I did find myself eventually getting into them, though. Darth Vader is probably going to be my favourite, as it's the simplest. It's littered with hurry ups, you can have like three or four going at one time. Combine these with stackable multiballs and you have a table lit up like a Christmas tree, incredibly satisfying. The layouts of the other two feel a bit cluttered to me, I'll need to give them some more play before making a final opinion. But I wish Zen would do more simple layouts, often I find those are the ones I keep coming back to. I love their creativity but often it feels like they cram way too much on a table. The Starfighter table just looks like a mess. And on RotJ you have no idea where a ball is going to end up after putting it up a ramp as it can divert pretty much anywhere.

Haha, didn't realise the outlane bumper was ripped completely from WoZ, thought that was their own idea!

Last edited:

Tabe

Apr 12, 2012
I love Zen tables but there's a reason my favorite is Sorcerer's Lair. It's got a lot of stuff going on but the table itself is fairly open, it's not cluttered, and it could easily be made into a real table.

Pinballfan69

Mar 28, 2012
Again Great pack!

I've been playing ROTJ mostly today. Just barely missed getting all the scenes. I have beat every scene but scene 3. The speeder bike part is tough to get used to. Is there a final battle with emperor? Not sure his icon is in the midst of all the scenes.

Really love the way the slings are so active. I actually get nervous when the ball is in the slings and trickle to either outlanes.

Each mission seems to be clearly defined and pretty random (other than set ones in where to shoot) That's pretty cool.

There are basically 5 Mutliball types I've encountered in ROTJ. R2-D2, Endor, Battle of Endor, Death-Star and whatever the shuttle one was. I forgot. Again not sure If there is a final wizard (Multi-ball) mode.

As always Zen makes some zanny pinball tables and I personally love them.

Darth Vader table is the most boring of the pack. Mostly hurry-up modes that stack and coincide together with a couple of different mutliball modes (3 I think) The only thing I like about the table is the missions/Scene. It doesn't have a save point like Empire Strikes back or Return of the Jedi. Probably the best part about this table is that if you lose a ball during the mission, you have to start it over and starting them takes a bit of time hitting that upper spinning thing several times.

Starfighter Assault - By far my favorite of the bunch. So much eye candy, really well designed and I think the rules are quite simple. Lighting up - Evade, Barrage, Promote etc by shooting lanes then hit the upper left ramp to start them. Drawback is it's another table that can take a while to play but something about it isn't as painful to play as Darth Vader.

Can't wait till Dr. Strange for Marvel comes out in December and I also hear there is another table (non-licensed) coming by the end of the year.

Espy

Sep 9, 2013
Does anyone else really dislike the slingshots in Zen games? I've only started noticing recently, but they don't behave like real slingshots. They shouldn't trigger if the ball rolls down them, only if it hits the centre it at a certain angle. I find it a lot harder to control the ball as a result. And post passes are generally deadly as they lead right to the slingshots. I've had to come up with more creative ways to pass on these tables.

Also, there is way too much mission text with not enough time to read it for each mission on Starfighter. Surprised they didn't realise that themselves.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest posts