Thoughts on the new iOS interface?

pinbot

Aug 12, 2012
At first I was like....this..does..not look good. But it is much easier to navigate and the store is improved for sure. So overall improvement I'd say, but it does not look anywhere near as nice or polished as it used to.

So maybe the icons, text can be worked on to make it look less 90s pc game menu.
Anyone else?

mystman12

Apr 21, 2013
Yeah, I think the overall layout is better and feels more consistent throughout the whole app, however the artwork and sounds are really cheep feeling now. I miss the artwork we had before where everything looked like inserts and such. Also, one thing that really annoys me is how there's no way to just look at the games I own. Why are all the games I haven't purchased mixed in with the ones I have? It's pretty annoying.

Also, and maybe this is just me, but it some of the artwork on the game icons appear to be like, bootlegs of the real thing. Look at Theatre or Cirqus for example. The faces just look really off.

Kolchak357

Senior Pigeon
May 31, 2012
The look and sound doesn't really bug me. I try to spend as little time in the menu system as possible. I can find a pin to play quicker and just get going, so I find it an improvement.
Are there things I would have done differntly? Sure there are, but I'll get over it.

pinbot

Aug 12, 2012
-Not sure I'm a fan of the circle/ball inside a square as icon/buttons. Including the in table camera and pause buttons(would those be better if more transparent?)
-Would like to see a "my tables/purchased tables" section sorted alphabetically.
-Would like to see the grey blocky stuff replaced or updated with more pinball related buttons.
-Would like to see the sorting selection hold when tapping store or gameplay mode etc and then back to tables. It currently goes back to default a-z so I have to keep hitting "table packs" if I leave and return to this list. Noticed it changes back to default even after a rotate.
-Also, maybe add a list mode of tables. Perhaps tapping the already selected category(say, "table packs") could toggle between icons and list. Tap once to select, again for list then again for icons, etc.
-And finally make the initials selection arrow larger so I don't have to move my thumbs so much (small thing). Noticed the "select" button is not centred.

Changes are on the right track though. So, appreciated.
Gameplay seems as good as ever. So that's good too.

Last edited:

MadScience2006

Oct 5, 2012
As it stands now, none of the more important settings "holds". Sound volume settings revert back to default after the app is rerun, I'm speaking mainly of turning down that dreadful Tommy theme every single time I rerun the app...UGH

And why are camera angles *still* (after all these years) not saved on a per-table basis? Everything (including the sound volume settings) is only saved globally...I really don't get why.

PBallGizard

Jan 30, 2014
I wish that TPA would take a page from Zaccaria and default to last entered initials for high scores. I've just deleted and reloaded TPA again, so I'm currently getting lots of high scores.

Danzig

Mar 1, 2012
Great, it reverts back to default audio with that CRAPTASTIC song when starting the app back up. F this, I'm going to go play Zen.

Fungi

Feb 20, 2012
I like it, but,,,,,,, that CRAPTASTIC song, ugh. Guess I'll have to turn the menu music off.

So many out there are saying this. This must suck for FarSight, thinking "Hey, we got the rights for the ultimate pinball anthem!", only to be treated to "please turn it off".

Mclong

Apr 22, 2016
My biggest issue right now basically breaks the game for any 2 player functionality. The iPad is orientated in portrait view and after player 1's 1st ball drains the player 2 screen appears with half of the menu off the screen. My guess is there is a continue button to press. The screen can not be orientated to landscape and the only way to proceed is force close the app.

Edit: The landscape orientation allows player 2 a continue button however I'm not a big fan of landscape orientation so this work around is not acceptable.

Has anyone found where to turn off scroll view within settings during player 2's game?

Edit 2: Below is link to a screenshot taken during a 2 player game.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwcxhZr-4_yeMGJ3Wm1HUXdIRkw0Rm1uZXBzZHd2Uzc0TTRJ/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:

Jay

May 19, 2012
I'm not sure what you mean by the "craptastic" song; that's the Who's Pinball Wizard. Instead of the instrumental version they first used (which was mostly unrecognizable), it looks like Farsight got the rights to the actual song.

The interface was long overdue for an updating. I generally like the concept. But I would definitely change the icons; they're nearly incomprehensible on an iPhone. Rather than an icon of a silver ball with a tiny piece of the game on it, why not just use each game's backglass as its icon? That would make it much clearer which game is which.

GET

May 1, 2016
I wish FarSight would have put multiple tracks from Pinball Hall of Fame for the menu music as well as some new ones. Oh well.

IGoFirstIndy

Jul 12, 2014
I'm not sure what you mean by the "craptastic" song; that's the Who's Pinball Wizard. Instead of the instrumental version they first used (which was mostly unrecognizable), it looks like Farsight got the rights to the actual song.

The interface was long overdue for an updating. I generally like the concept. But I would definitely change the icons; they're nearly incomprehensible on an iPhone. Rather than an icon of a silver ball with a tiny piece of the game on it, why not just use each game's backglass as its icon? That would make it much clearer which game is which.

+1 on using the backglass as icons.

Nightwing

Aug 1, 2012
My biggest issues so far would be not being able to see my HOF points,or to know what goals I've unlocked. I don't see either,so if I'm doing something wrong - please enlighten me.

Never mind...found them. The new interface is going to take some getting used to...

Last edited:

pinbot

Aug 12, 2012
+1 on using the backglass as icons.

+2
Clearer and larger would be great. Better than a ball within a square with wasted corners.

Just crashed on me while playing whirlwind. First time in a loooong time. Also, my table ratings are gone. Not a big deal there, I just rated them all so I could sort them better. Oh well.
Edit: another crash. While playing Big Shot.
Am I supposed to report these?

Last edited:

Anderz

Sep 17, 2014
The new UI is an much needed improvement over the old one,but please: When adjusting the volume in the Sound Menu, why restart the music when adjusting the volume? Just continue to loop it! I'm a Pinball Wizard, not a Scratch DJ!! And do I want to hear the "table menu" music looping simultanously over the table music? And it continues even if you exit the menu and start a game. Dreadfull..

Also Elviras party table locks up again after getting a new high score...
And when are they gonna fix the cutting audio from Whirwind/Earthshaker? Like never???

An improvement on the UI was much needed, but this was badly rushed..

Oh-oh-oh my god she is so my god. She is alive! (Adjusting the volume on Bride of pinbot)

HotHamBoy

Aug 2, 2014
The new UI is an much needed improvement over the old one,but please: When adjusting the volume in the Sound Menu, why restart the music when adjusting the volume? Just continue to loop it! I'm a Pinball Wizard, not a Scratch DJ!! And do I want to hear the "table menu" music looping simultanously over the table music? And it continues even if you exit the menu and start a game. Dreadfull..

Also Elviras party table locks up again after getting a new high score...
And when are they gonna fix the cutting audio from Whirwind/Earthshaker? Like never???

An improvement on the UI was much needed, but this was badly rushed..

Oh-oh-oh my god she is so my god. She is alive! (Adjusting the volume on Bride of pinbot)

It's a lot of bad things but rushed isn't one of them. It took forever coming out and it's ridiculous that it's as bad as it is. I'm expecting most fixes to take a year or so and expecting some issues to never be fixed.

Someone at Farsight should take a class in graphic design.

Members online

No members online now.

Members online

No members online now.